Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam folder is empty after recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this subject has been beaten to death and I have tried about everything this forum has suggested, but am still unable to get any recording. I have 2019.16.2 update. We have

1. New USB stick https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9JL894/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with
2. New micro sd card in 128gb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Formatted to FAT32 in my computer
4. Creadted TeslaCam folder
5. Put in the usb slot and started the sentry mode.

When I activated the sentry mode and walked around the car. The sentry screen was on and it showed "recording", the headlights also flashed and the honk honked once. After walking a minute, I stopped the recording via the phone in the house, the car showed regular screen and no sentry recording. The sentry icon is black (no red) I then removed the usb stick. It felt a little warm so I know it was recording, at least trying to.

Plugged the usb in my computer at home and the TeslaCam folder is empty. What did I do wrong?:mad::confused:

My husband's MS doesn't have the hardware to have TeslaCam (HW2.0 not HW2.5 or HW3), however with 2019.16.2 he does get to have Sentry Mode so gets the little icon for the Red Eye. Sentry Mode is the Red Eye on the center screen, the flashing headlights, the honking, the loud music inside the car and if you don't have TeslaCam On (the dashcam portion of the hardware/software) then no video recording. So yes, you need to first make sure your TeslaCam icon (camera) shows when you put in your formatted USB device. You should briefly see it light up with a red dot showing it's active and ready and then the red dot and camera recording will turn off. You may not always want it on so it will default to off.

To turn TeslaCam on, tap on the camera icon and the red light should come on and stay on. This means you will now be using your front and side repeater cameras and video files when you are driving will be placed in the RecentClips folder (1 hour buffer). With TeslaCam active and when you turn on Sentry Mode, the 3 cameras will save video clips to the SavedClips folder when Sentry Mode is triggered by motion and/or sound.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: CaliM3
I noticed this over the weekend. If I do not activate the Dash Cam (Teslacam) function then nothing records not even sentry even though the sentry icon is red and the sentry recording screen comes up.

My husband's MS doesn't have the hardware to have TeslaCam (HW2.0 not HW2.5 or HW3), however with 2019.16.2 he does get to have Sentry Mode so gets the little icon for the Red Eye. Sentry Mode is the Red Eye on the center screen, the flashing headlights, the honking, the loud music inside the car and if you don't have TeslaCam On (the dashcam portion of the hardware/software) then no video recording. So yes, you need to first make sure your TeslaCam icon (camera) shows when you put in your formatted USB device. You should briefly see it light up with a red dot showing it's active and ready and then the red dot and camera recording will turn off. You may not always want it on so it will default to off.

To turn TeslaCam on, tap on the camera icon and the red light should come on and stay on. This means you will now be using your front and side repeater cameras and video files when you are driving will be placed in the RecentClips folder (1 hour buffer). With TeslaCam active and when you turn on Sentry Mode, the 3 cameras will save video clips to the SavedClips folder when Sentry Mode is triggered by motion and/or sound.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply! It is working now!

Reactions: SMAlset