Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam saves the day at a red light camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is another aspect to the red/yellow transition I experienced (before I bought my M3). There is a heavily traveled, enforcement-camera intersection I regularly use. I’m especially cautious when decided to go/stop on the yellow. While traveling at or slightly above the speed limit once, I chose the caution and slammed on the brakes to avoid a camera ticket. The car behind me apparently thought he could tailgate me through the intersection and that my decision would be to go. Upon my stopping, he rear-ended me and badly damaged my vehicle. He was cited. I was not. But the time and money it cost me has always wondered if I made the right decision to begin with. Now that I have a M3, I am hoping for 360 degree camera coverage so that enforcement authorities whether on site or via mail-in will have additional information to make better decisions. I am for accountability whether I turn out to be correct or not.

Reactions: jat255
Years ago, people got so fed-up with Red Light and Speed Cameras in the area, that they started spray-painting their license plates with an infrared reflective coating. It would appear clear to the naked eye, but from the perspective of the cameras it would appear opaque. I have no idea whether or not this product is still sold, what the legalities are (I'm assuming it's not Kosher), or whether it still works against the current gen Red Light Cameras.

According to this article: New products aim to foil cameras at red lights, but do they really work? the spray/gels no longer work, but a new form of camera avoidance has emerged which includes a sensor which triggers a burst of light that prevents a proper image capture.

As they say, when there is a will, there is a way ...

Years ago, people got so fed-up with Red Light and Speed Cameras in the area, that they started spray-painting their license plates with an infrared reflective coating. It would appear clear to the naked eye, but from the perspective of the cameras it would appear opaque. I have no idea whether or not this product is still sold, what the legalities are (I'm assuming it's not Kosher), or whether it still works against the current gen Red Light Cameras.

According to this article: New products aim to foil cameras at red lights, but do they really work? the spray/gels no longer work, but a new form of camera avoidance has emerged which includes a sensor which triggers a burst of light that prevents a proper image capture.

As they say, when there is a will, there is a way ...

I think I've seen things like this around. I've seen a couple cars with a really dark cover over them that is only visible from directly head on, so you can see it if you're following the car, for instance, but at any slight angle, it goes completely dark, like an old flat screen TV. I would assume that's highly illegal, as well.

The video shows the light turning red before you entered the intersection.

You can try fighting your ticket via Trial by Written declaration. If the Red Light Camera Operator doesn't respond, you'll win by default.

It's most definitely yellow when I entered the intersection. You cannot see it turn red on the front camera (top image) because it turns to red after I've turned enough that the light is out of view of the front camera. If you look at the left camera (bottom left image), you can see the flash from the camera, and the light behind me (going the opposite direction) turn from yellow to red at about 7 seconds. Since this is happening behind, I was definitely in the intersection at the moment it turned red.

It's most definitely yellow when I entered the intersection. You cannot see it turn red on the front camera (top image) because it turns to red after I've turned enough that the light is out of view of the front camera. If you look at the left camera (bottom left image), you can see the flash from the camera, and the light behind me (going the opposite direction) turn from yellow to red at about 7 seconds. Since this is happening behind, I was definitely in the intersection at the moment it turned red.
My bad, I'm watching the video on my phone and yellow and red looks the same. 7 seconds for a yellow is a long time. I think CA got in trouble in some cities for shortening the length of yellows.

Protection against errors from photo enforcement cameras is a one reason why I've always liked to have dash cam video (although I've never gotten a ticket from one, knock on wood). I'm a supporter of the program within DC due to the way people drive here, but its nice to have a record if I feel I were incorrectly cited. I can't speak to MD's program, though - I'm a lot less familiar with how its implemented. My previous dashcam (pre-Tesla) would write the GPS calculated speed and the time on the video - I'd love to see Tesla have an option to do that in a future release, too (if they wanted to provide even more capability, an option display of turn signal/brake usage on the video would be even better).