Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you initially run sudo docker-compose up without a -d at the end to see what the output was? If you see any entries in the logs at that point relating to certificate errors then that is likely the issue.

Yes, I did run docker initially without -d. I can however login to my teslamate on all other devices except for the browser in my Tesla M3.

What is the solution to these certificate errors?

35456D3C-07AC-45D2-8DFF-18ECBB2BC172.jpeg
Doesn't look like it's a cert issue then.

Can you get to your main domain OK in the car?
BE796BC2-E82A-4790-8FCD-225C5A2D9C48.jpeg

I can now see grafana.mydomain.com on the Tesla browser but Teslamate.mydomain.com is still doing the 401 Unauthorized error on a blank screen

On opening the grafana.mydomain.com I first had the Grafana login page that you need to provide with grafana login credentials. Is the grafana.mydomain.com then not behind Let’s Encrypt login like teslamate.mydomain.com is?

Last edited:
View attachment 562836
View attachment 562835

I can now see grafana.mydomain.com on the Tesla browser but Teslamate.mydomain.com is still doing the 401 Unauthorized error on a blank screen

On opening the grafana.mydomain.com I first had the Grafana login page that you need to provide with grafana login credentials. Is the grafana.mydomain.com then not behind Let’s Encrypt login like teslamate.mydomain.com is?

Grafana is just a username / password for grafana itself, the TeslaMate one requires the .htpasswd details entered, looks like they have been ignored / cancelled which is why you’re not authorised now.

Not tried clearing the cache in the cars browser, but bet that will sort it :)

Did you manage to access teslamate from the in-car browser?

Yes, it all works pretty well now. Forms auth is a little picky with its options, but it's all good.

I was already running an Apache server with vhosts, so my set-up is similar to the "Apache2" advanced install instructions, with the following change to use forms auth instead:

Code:
        <Proxy *>
            AuthFormProvider file
            AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/.htpasswd
            AuthType Form
            AuthName "Password Required"
            ErrorDocument 401 /auth/login.html
            AuthFormLoginSuccessLocation https://teslamate.mydomain.com/
            Session On
            SessionCookieName session path=/
            Require valid-user
        </Proxy>

Grafana is just a username / password for grafana itself, the TeslaMate one requires the .htpasswd details entered, looks like they have been ignored / cancelled which is why you’re not authorised now.

Not tried clearing the cache in the cars browser, but bet that will sort it :)
eh, how can I clear the cache in my Tesla browser o_O?

And I should change the grafana credentials from admin/admin so it is more secure o_O?

Noticed a few posts to do with securing access to TeslaMate installs people have which are internet facing.

Are you remembering to lock down the MQTT broker and non-secured default MQTT port as well?

I’m not running in a cloud instance, just inside my network and in Docker. I can tell you that by default any MQTT client will be able to connect without any authentication and subscribe to all topics. In layman’s terms this means get all of the data which TeslaMate publishes to the MQTT broker, which isn’t everything you see in Grafana but does cover the core data about the car, it’s location and it’s state.

It may be you have it covered by other cloud instance config you’re doing but mentioning in case you were unaware.

Simple option if unsure is not starting the MQTT broker assuming you aren’t using it.

I know some people may use the MQTT interface for integration with Home Assistant.

I’m personally using the MQTT interface for some app prototyping so happened to notice its default configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: BMW740iL
Noticed a few posts to do with securing access to TeslaMate installs people have which are internet facing.

Are you remembering to lock down the MQTT broker and non-secured default MQTT port as well?

I’m not running in a cloud instance, just inside my network and in Docker. I can tell you that by default any MQTT client will be able to connect without any authentication and subscribe to all topics. In layman’s terms this means get all of the data which TeslaMate publishes to the MQTT broker, which isn’t everything you see in Grafana but does cover the core data about the car, it’s location and it’s state.

It may be you have it covered by other cloud instance config you’re doing but mentioning in case you were unaware.

Simple option if unsure is not starting the MQTT broker assuming you aren’t using it.

I know some people may use the MQTT interface for integration with Home Assistant.

I’m personally using the MQTT interface for some app prototyping so happened to notice its default configuration.

lost some of my text in that last post......

For cloud instances where you normally have to configure its firewall to explicitly allow ports to be forwarded or exposed you’ll be fine if you aren’t exposing port 1883.

The default docker-compose file for TeslaMate exposes the MQTT docker containers port 1883 to the host that is running docker. So only an issue if people are exposing all the ports shown in the docker compose for their cloud instance.

It’s ok to expose MQTT, just make sure you add authentication to it and also add SSL/TLS for it. If you need to use MQTT you’ll likely know enough to know what that means!

lost some of my text in that last post......

For cloud instances where you normally have to configure its firewall to explicitly allow ports to be forwarded or exposed you’ll be fine if you aren’t exposing port 1883.

The default docker-compose file for TeslaMate exposes the MQTT docker containers port 1883 to the host that is running docker. So only an issue if people are exposing all the ports shown in the docker compose for their cloud instance.

It’s ok to expose MQTT, just make sure you add authentication to it and also add SSL/TLS for it. If you need to use MQTT you’ll likely know enough to know what that means!

Thanks for this (and the above post).

In the config we've used, it has this section for Mosquito

Code:
mosquitto:
    image: eclipse-mosquitto:1.6
    restart: always
    ports:
      - 127.0.0.1:1883:1883
    volumes:
      - mosquitto-conf:/mosquitto/config
      - mosquitto-data:/mosquitto/data

But then I think we are only allowing http and https in - Is there a simple way to try and connect to it and see?

• Helpful
Reactions: NickName