Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's in the Settings page within TeslaMate.
I think I found it...under GeoFences. I looked at my electric bills for the last year and divided the bill amount by the kWh used and got 0.10.

I set the cost per kWh to "0.10" and now Grafana "Charging Stats" is showing: number of charges "1", charged in total "16 kWh" and Total Charging Cost $1.93. Does that sound right? $1.93 seems low to me.

The Grafana "Efficiency" page is showing "no data" for Consumption (net) and "Consumption (gross).

So I’ve searched and can’t find the answer (sorry if it’s here and I just missed it). I sold my Model 3 and bought a Model Y. I restarted TeslaMate to have the Y show up and now I can’t get the 3 removed. It’s no longer on my Tesla account, but it still shows up as the last known location, and TeslaMate defaults to that car so it’s getting to be a bit annoying. Anyone know how to force remove a car? Thanks!

I think I found it...under GeoFences. I looked at my electric bills for the last year and divided the bill amount by the kWh used and got 0.10.

I set the cost per kWh to "0.10" and now Grafana "Charging Stats" is showing: number of charges "1", charged in total "16 kWh" and Total Charging Cost $1.93. Does that sound right? $1.93 seems low to me.

The Grafana "Efficiency" page is showing "no data" for Consumption (net) and "Consumption (gross).
If it's $0.10 per kWh, then 16 kW used should be £1.60. Have a look at the Charges dashboard to ensure that each charge has a cost associated with it. A little screen dump would help us see what you're seeing.

RE Consumption values : Frequently Asked Questions | TeslaMate

So I’ve searched and can’t find the answer (sorry if it’s here and I just missed it). I sold my Model 3 and bought a Model Y. I restarted TeslaMate to have the Y show up and now I can’t get the 3 removed. It’s no longer on my Tesla account, but it still shows up as the last known location, and TeslaMate defaults to that car so it’s getting to be a bit annoying. Anyone know how to force remove a car? Thanks!

If it's $0.10 per kWh, then 16 kW used should be £1.60. Have a look at the Charges dashboard to ensure that each charge has a cost associated with it. A little screen dump would help us see what you're seeing.

RE Consumption values : Frequently Asked Questions | TeslaMate
£1.60 should equal $1.87, if I did that right. I've attached two pics. Pic 1 is how I entered the cost in a TeslaMate Geo-Fence. Pic 2 is where I'm seeing the cost in a Grafana dashboard.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    16 KB · Views: 256
  • 2.png
    2.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 208
£1.60 should equal $1.87, if I did that right. I've attached two pics. Pic 1 is how I entered the cost in a TeslaMate Geo-Fence. Pic 2 is where I'm seeing the cost in a Grafana dashboard.
It's not doing any currency conversions. Whatever unit you put in is what unit is displayed in the cost. e.g $ or £ or whatever. You'll notice that the cost has no currency symbol before it.

If you've charged 23 kWh then your cost should be 2.30. Looks like some of your charges don't have a cost associated with them. Easy to fix. What does your Charges dashboard look like?

It's not doing any currency conversions. Whatever unit you put in is what unit is displayed in the cost. e.g $ or £ or whatever. You'll notice that the cost has no currency symbol before it.

If you've charged 23 kWh then your cost should be 2.30. Looks like some of your charges don't have a cost associated with them. Easy to fix. What does your Charges dashboard look like?
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to imply there was any currency conversion going on.

Here's what Charges is showing just now:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 7.28.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 7.28.11 PM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 153
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to imply there was any currency conversion going on.

Here's what Charges is showing just now:
That looks right. If you click on the 0 under cost for charge 2, you should get the option to change the cost for that charge - should take you to the geofences screen again. If you've set up a geofence for your home then all future charges will have a cost associated with them.

That looks right. If you click on the 0 under cost for charge 2, you should get the option to change the cost for that charge - should take you to the geofences screen again. If you've set up a geofence for your home then all future charges will have a cost associated with them.
It did, thanks!

But I got off track, edited the cost column...and that made the cost numbers all wrong. Thought I could fix it by deleting and re-adding my Geo-Fence but that didn't work. I think I fixed it my manually figuring the cost per kWh and then entering those values. Pic 1 is what I have now. I think before the total cost was $2.22...now it's $2.36.

A few questions:

1) what is pic 2 showing?

2) do you TeslaMate users create a Geo-Fence for every location where you stop and charge?

3) I haven't looked at my router since installing TeslaMate, but I'm curious about how often it access the Tesla cloud to pull stats down?

Thanks for your help and information!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.png
    2.png
    13 KB · Views: 163
When you add a GEoFence it gives you the option to add costs to charges at that location retrospectively, but it won't update them afterwards. Usually only an issue when you are setting up Teslamate initially.

1/ That is how often the page refreshes. For things like overview you probably want it to refresh quite often, but for things that don't change very much that can be set higher or switched off e.g. Updates.

2/ Yes, but it only takes seconds to add after you see a charge that isn't costed. I tend to use the same half dozen or so charges so not a big overhead.

3/ Mine is running on a google cloud server so I don't really care :)

When you add a GEoFence it gives you the option to add costs to charges at that location retrospectively, but it won't update them afterwards. Usually only an issue when you are setting up Teslamate initially.

1/ That is how often the page refreshes. For things like overview you probably want it to refresh quite often, but for things that don't change very much that can be set higher or switched off e.g. Updates.

2/ Yes, but it only takes seconds to add after you see a charge that isn't costed. I tend to use the same half dozen or so charges so not a big overhead.

3/ Mine is running on a google cloud server so I don't really care :)
Good info, thanks. I'm still learning how to make the most of the data Grafana shows me.

I’m surprised TeslaMate doesn’t have built in support for different electricity pricing at one geofence for off peak rates.

Im about to get Octopus Go and the only way I can think to get round it is to stop and restart my charge sessions at 04:30 so they split into two and edit the prices accordingly.

Anyone else know a way round this?

I’m surprised TeslaMate doesn’t have built in support for different electricity pricing at one geofence for off peak rates.

Im about to get Octopus Go and the only way I can think to get round it is to stop and restart my charge sessions at 04:30 so they split into two and edit the prices accordingly.

Anyone else know a way round this?

You should be able to use this and the fixed price option to get what you want : MattJeanes/TeslaMateAgile

I got my 2021 TM3 LR a week ago and finally got around to installing TeslaMate in Docker for Windows. There were really no posts on this, so the short of it is to install docker for windows - Install Docker Desktop on Windows. Install this, it will ask to install WSL from MS (just another click click click install), reboot, then run the Docker engine. It has a super short guide you can run through to ensure a test docker image downloads/runs properly. After that, simply follow the instructions for a docker install of TeslaMate by running the commands in PowerShell - Docker install | TeslaMate. What is not mentioned anywhere is what to do afterwards!

- Go to the TeslaMate page on http://localhost:4000 and login with your Tesla credentials. I hope you have MFA enabled? :)
- Go to "Settings" and adjust units if you wish. I'm in the US, so I use stupid units.
- Go to the Grafana page on http://localhost:3000 and login with credentials "admin:admin". It will ask you to change your password. It may not be obvious you have to login, but you'll find it somewhere (maybe the avatar on the bottom left of the page).
- Click the gear icon choose "Preferences". Change the "Home Dashboard" to "TeslaMate / Overview". Click Save.
- Click on the four square icon, then "Home" - this should take you to the overview dashboard.
- From this dashboard (and all under TelsaMate), you can switch to other dashboards using the hamburger icon "Dashboards" on the top right.

For backup, I use the following batch script (you can run it via scheduled tasks if you wish) :

Code:
@echo off
set mydate=%date:~10,4%%date:~7,2%%date:~4,2%
rem echo %mydate%
docker-compose exec -T database pg_dump -U teslamate teslamate > teslamate-%mydate%.bak

Now to my questions!

1. Where can I import SuperCharger geofence data for the US? I've seen mention of it in the thread a number of times, but no link to it or how to import it.

2. Any guides on making custom dashboards? I'm actually familiar with SQL, but it's been a while. I'm more interested in just taking chunks of already written JSON from some dashboards and making new custom ones.

Last edited:
1. Where can I import SuperCharger geofence data for the US? I've seen mention of it in the thread a number of times, but no link to it or how to import it.

2. Any guides on making custom dashboards? I'm actually familiar with SQL, but it's been a while. I'm more interested in just taking chunks of already written JSON from some dashboards and making new custom ones.
1/ Very bottom of this page may have what you want - note I haven't delved too deeply into the linked file:

2/ No guide that I'm aware of, but keep an eye out for some of the variable and parameters in dashboards if you are copying charts etc. Sometimes just easier to copy the whole dashboard.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
1/ Very bottom of this page may have what you want - note I haven't delved too deeply into the linked file:

2/ No guide that I'm aware of, but keep an eye out for some of the variable and parameters in dashboards if you are copying charts etc. Sometimes just easier to copy the whole dashboard.

Perfect...this is exactly what I was looking for. The work is easy to perform for an old admin like myself.

I was going to import the supercharger geofence data in, but noticed the input file is structured :

INSERT INTO public.geofences (name, latitude, longitude, radius, inserted_at, updated_at, cost_per_unit, session_fee) VALUES (<SNIP>);

But the table structure is :

id | name | latitude | longitude | radius | inserted_at | updated_at | cost_per_unit | session_fee | billing_type

The few entries I have show billing_type as "per_kwh". I wrote this whole description about how I was going to add this field to the inputs, but realized the default for this column is "per_kwh" and the entries worked as is. I imported it all and it looks great.

Major thanks to whoever put this list together. Is there a place this is maintained? The latest entry is 01/21/2021 (for US).

I was going to import the supercharger geofence data in, but noticed the input file is structured :

INSERT INTO public.geofences (name, latitude, longitude, radius, inserted_at, updated_at, cost_per_unit, session_fee) VALUES (<SNIP>);

But the table structure is :

id | name | latitude | longitude | radius | inserted_at | updated_at | cost_per_unit | session_fee | billing_type

The few entries I have show billing_type as "per_kwh". I wrote this whole description about how I was going to add this field to the inputs, but realized the default for this column is "per_kwh" and the entries worked as is. I imported it all and it looks great.

Major thanks to whoever put this list together. Is there a place this is maintained? The latest entry is 01/21/2021 (for US).
@DaveW ?

Thanks @init6 Looks like billing_type must be a new field, I need to update the UK ones (several new ones since the last update) so I'll sort this at the same time.

Maintenance wise @DurkaDurka - I was keeping the UK ones up to date fairly regularly, which I'll get back on top of. The others are generally on demand, I'll take a look at the USA ones when I sort the others out :)

Reactions: DurkaDurka