Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run the command in PowerShell and nothing happens. It just goes to the next line and the window is just there. Ill upload a screenshot soon.
1688903988385.png

the curser is in the next line and nothing is happening in the window....

Also, | usually means pipe the output of a command to the file. You should be doing it the other way. I *think* in windows its still the < symbol rather than |

have a look at the contents of teslamate.bck file, it may have been overwritten by the output of your docker command

Having lots of linux but very little docker background, I tried getting teslamate up and running in a scratch virtual machine. When composing with the current (July '23) YAML file from the github repo, I was unable to connect to the teslamate container - kept getting various connection refused errors.

There's lots of info around (here, reddit, github, etc) but nothing comprehensive.

I was able to "just get it to work" by changing the postgres image line in the yaml file from postgres:15 to postgres:12 -- but I have absolutely no idea why this worked or whether it's a good/bad/neutral idea to leave it this way. Any suggestions here - and thoughts on why the (supposedly) most current documentation wouldn't work?

Having lots of linux but very little docker background, I tried getting teslamate up and running in a scratch virtual machine. When composing with the current (July '23) YAML file from the github repo, I was unable to connect to the teslamate container - kept getting various connection refused errors.

There's lots of info around (here, reddit, github, etc) but nothing comprehensive.

I was able to "just get it to work" by changing the postgres image line in the yaml file from postgres:15 to postgres:12 -- but I have absolutely no idea why this worked or whether it's a good/bad/neutral idea to leave it this way. Any suggestions here - and thoughts on why the (supposedly) most current documentation wouldn't work?
What were the errors in the logs? Was the "waiting for connection" the teslamate container or postgresql container?

Seeing the post made me want to go back and see what I was at. Sitting on 13, I decided to upgrade to 14 and it cratered with expected errors: "Database was initialized with PostgreSQL version 13 and not compatible with 14" (or something similar to that).

I went ahead and blew out my entire TeslaMate installation (instructions here). But I am curious if cherry picking a few of those commands could get you to upgrade PostgreSQL versions without having to blow out your entire installation. Namely, I am thinking removing the PostgreSQL volume and container.

Anyone with Docker experience in a better position to comment on how best to upgrade your PostgreSQL version without running into the errors mentioned above and in @ljwobker's post?

Note: always backup before you touch database versions changes, upgrades, etc.

Sorry I’m so new to this that I don’t even know how to check for basic logs (I should be forced to turn in my tech-bro card, I suppose?)… I‘m doing a zero-data brand new install so nuking and rebuilding at this point is 100% painless… but I hope to have actual data soon that I’d want to protect ;-)

Did you follow the upgrade instructions here:

I'm sure you did, but just want to confirm the starting point.
Well derp. I did not. However, that is exactly what my search results found for me - terminate the old PostgreSQL volume after a backup. I torched the wrong directory and borked the entire thing.

Which then made me stumble upon the "completely remove and uninstall Docker" discussion I linked :D as always, thanks mate!

Sorry I’m so new to this that I don’t even know how to check for basic logs (I should be forced to turn in my tech-bro card, I suppose?)… I‘m doing a zero-data brand new install so nuking and rebuilding at this point is 100% painless… but I hope to have actual data soon that I’d want to protect ;-)
No card turning in needed here. If you get stuck, start with the logs:
docker-compose logs <container>
For me that is
Code:
docker-compose logs teslamate
for the web service and
Code:
docker-compose logs database
for PostgreSQL.

Since you are starting fresh, there is no reason why you should not be able to start with 15. You could try and grab a backup, then edit the YML to 15 and see if it starts, see what the logs are saying. Report back here and check the link @init6 shared.

If all else fails, nuke it at the link I previously provided, start with 15 in the YML and you should be on your way. If with a completely new install, 15 still does not work, check the logs and report back here as well :)

Either way, backup any data you might have and you can restore when you upgrade or start fresh.

So, I have been running Teslamate for about 4 years against my company lease Tesla - all brilliant! However, that car is going back soon, and I have a personal replacement Tesla arriving...

The replacement car will be signed into a completely different account (home, not work), and although there is a 3 month overlap on the cars, my understanding is having both in one Teslamate instance is simply not happening.

So assuming I *just* wanted to 'replace' my old car with my new one, would I just sign out of one account in the Teslamate UI and sign into the new car's one?

What happens to the existing data, would that still be there but separated off, or do I need to delete the database or something?

If I did need/want o clear down (the backup is getting quite big), how do I do that without literally starting from scratch?

Any advice/assistance greatly appreciated 🙏.

So, I have been running Teslamate for about 4 years against my company lease Tesla - all brilliant! However, that car is going back soon, and I have a personal replacement Tesla arriving...

The replacement car will be signed into a completely different account (home, not work), and although there is a 3 month overlap on the cars, my understanding is having both in one Teslamate instance is simply not happening.

So assuming I *just* wanted to 'replace' my old car with my new one, would I just sign out of one account in the Teslamate UI and sign into the new car's one?

What happens to the existing data, would that still be there but separated off, or do I need to delete the database or something?

If I did need/want o clear down (the backup is getting quite big), how do I do that without literally starting from scratch?

Any advice/assistance greatly appreciated 🙏.
Yes, you simply sign out of the lease account and sign in with your own Tesla account.

I believe even with a different account, your old data will remain untouched. And you can still see it in the drop downs from Grafana. But that car will be completely inaccessible from TeslaMate GUI - which makes sense given it’s a different account.

If you wanted to wipe the entire database clean, run a backup (for your storage) and then drop the entire database following the commands here. But stop before you do the restore command, though do restart TeslaMate service.

Reactions: init6 and spooksman
quick question - maybe you guys can help.

I just noticed that my Teslamate (after I cloned my RaspberryPi car to memory stick) hasn't been updating properely.

last drive info, for example, is 2 months old. states look ok, but battery SOC levels have large gaps and so on.

Do I have to reconnect teslamate to car, or something else?

also, for example, car name is shown as "NULL"

quick question - maybe you guys can help.

I just noticed that my Teslamate (after I cloned my RaspberryPi car to memory stick) hasn't been updating properely.

last drive info, for example, is 2 months old. states look ok, but battery SOC levels have large gaps and so on.

Do I have to reconnect teslamate to car, or something else?

also, for example, car name is shown as "NULL"
What do the logs say? You could try logging out of TeslaMate and back in and see if it can poll your car.

What version of TeslaMate are you running? There was a Tesla modification / bug that was resolved for the car name issue.