Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas are welcome in AZ! That’s funny. AZ has some favorable laws for electric and hybrid vehicles, but Tesla is hardly welcome here. And those favorable laws mostly predated Tesla. As noted earlier the registration fee benefit is on its way out, but so far the single occupant carpool benefit remains.

Scottsdale managed to get a favorable legal decision to allow Tesla to open two storefronts but the one opened in Tempe three years ago was closed within a year based on fears of state government backlash. The service center portion of the Tempe site remains and there is a service center in Tucson, I believe, as well as Scottsdale. Fingers crossed that these few Tesla beachheads in AZ aren’t thrown out some year soon. Our conservative Legislature is bought and paid for by car dealers.

Last edited:
It is sad because while it is true that we are not paying taxes on gasoline consumption, we are helping to reduce the particulate matter over our major cities. That is a measurable contribution that we are currently not getting acknowledgement or credit. Every year for many years our air quality has been suffering and getting worse as more people are added to the ever growing metropolis. We pay more for this new tech and they are trying to cash in on that. We (EV owners)are also a small percentage of voters so we have a hard time winning against unfair legislation.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
I saw some products you can put the stickers on so they don't stick on your paint directly. Don't see a lot of people talking about it though so not sure how well they work.

<slightly off topic>

Lots of threads here about using PaintProtectionFilm and applying the stickers on top.. I did it to my car... makes it easier to remove the sticker when they become useless. Very inexpensive at amazon, you cut your own and save some $ over precut kits ..

</slightly off topic>

One good thing about the increased registration there may be less resentment of Teslas by the hardcore ice drivers.
The fact that a "rich" man's car rides around cheaply on ice paid for roads doesn't work well for the guy who can barely pay for his chipped diesel billowing clouds of unburnt diesel.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Teslas are welcome in AZ! That’s funny. AZ has some favorable laws for electric and hybrid vehicles, but Tesla is hardly welcome here. And those favorable laws mostly predated Tesla. As noted earlier the registration fee benefit is on its way out, but so far the single occupant carpool benefit remains.

Scottsdale managed to get a favorable legal decision to allow Tesla to open two storefronts but the one opened in Tempe three years ago was closed within a year based on fears of state government backlash. The service center portion of the Tempe site remains and there is a service center in Tucson, I believe, as well as Scottsdale. Fingers crossed that these few Tesla beachheads in AZ aren’t thrown out some year soon. Our conservative Legislature is bought and paid for by car dealers.

Yeah, I was surprised that Tempe ( being a liberal city ) threw out the sales part. So it was state decision? how did Scottsdale manage 2 sales centers+service?

Having 2 sales centers is unnecessary IMO, I'd rather have more service centers (hopefully one in the north valley instead)

One good thing about the increased registration there may be less resentment of Teslas by the hardcore ice drivers.
The fact that a "rich" man's car rides around cheaply on ice paid for roads doesn't work well for the guy who can barely pay for his chipped diesel billowing clouds of unburnt diesel.
If you think the knuckleheads that “roll coal,” key cars, cut off electric cars etc. have a clue about taxes on EV’s you are grossly overestimating their knowledge. Even most educated Arizonans probably would be surprised to hear about the tax break. I suspect seeing single occupant cars with blue plates in the carpool lane is the main aggravation.

For many older adults who hate our blue plates, you can bet it goes back to the alt fuels scam in 2000-2001. Poor ignorant Gov. “Propane” Jane Hull. Her decision to sign that legislation was the dumbest decision of her lengthy public life and it wasn’t even a payoff for her friends. It still annoys me that my next door neighbor at the time got at least $20,000 back from the State on his new Ford Expedition purchase after ”converting” it to a bi-fuel vehicle courtesy of a tiny propane tank that he never filled!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man
Yeah, I was surprised that Tempe ( being a liberal city ) threw out the sales part. So it was state decision? how did Scottsdale manage 2 sales centers+service?

Having 2 sales centers is unnecessary IMO, I'd rather have more service centers (hopefully one in the north valley instead)
Scottsdale got a judge to intervene and I think Tesla hoped they could use the precedent later to add a sales center outside Scottsdale. However, I was told by Tempe staff that staff at the Capitol warned them they’d better close it, so they did within a year. The service center portion apparently was ok’d as it remains open. I am kind of surprised the car dealers haven’t been successful in getting that judicial decision in Scottsdale’s favor voided by state legislation. Perhaps they are trying. As you note, service centers are much more important to owners, so I hope Tesla treads carefully before trying to add sales centers.

Last edited:
If you think the knuckleheads that “roll coal,” key cars, cut off electric cars etc. have a clue about taxes on EV’s you are grossly overestimating their knowledge. Even most educated Arizonans probably would be surprised to hear about the tax break. I suspect seeing single occupant cars with blue plates in the carpool lane is the main aggravation.

For many older adults who hate our blue plates, you can bet it goes back to the alt fuels scam in 2000-2001. Poor ignorant Gov. “Propane” Jane Hull. Her decision to sign that legislation was the dumbest decision of her lengthy public life and it wasn’t even a payoff for her friends. It still annoys me that my next door neighbor at the time got at least $20,000 back from the State on his new Ford Expedition purchase after ”converting” it to a bi-fuel vehicle courtesy of a tiny propane tank that he never filled!

yeah I saw a blue plate hummer the other day :(

Is the propane scam over now? How about CNG?

Last edited:
Scottsdale got a judge to intervene and I think Tesla hoped they could use the precedent later to add a sales center outside Scottsdale. However, I was told by Tempe staff that staff at the Capitol warned them they’d better close it, so they did within a year. The service center portion apparently was ok’d as it remains open. I am kind of surprised the car dealers haven’t been successful in getting that judicial decision in Scottsdale’s favor voided by state legislation. Perhaps they are trying. As you note, service centers are much more important to owners, so I hope Tesla treads carefully before trying to add sales centers.

Maybe it's Tempe's street visibility vs malls and a low key location in Scottsdale

Service is one of the main reasons why traditional dealers are surviving (some new cars are sold at a loss) so I bet they'll challenge that too. At least we don't have to drive across state lines like some other states.

I don't know, the posts I see on forums and what I hear from people shows how well they understand the subsidy "rich cars " get. A lot of the ill will comes from the income tax break but a lot of the population knows what they pay at the pump that goes to road building, or cycle lanes depending on their preference. You shouldn't underestimate the publics ability to see the casually obscure. I'll bet Mark Twain had some wonderful expressions along that notion.

Sales team their said the Tempe location closed because the foot traffic just wasn't there. There are a lot of college kids in that area and middle income people. The orders weren't coming in through that store. That is why they moved it (I wouldn't call it a closing) to the much more affluent Kierland shopping center in north scottsdale.

We park free at city, county and state facilities including the airport (well, up to 30 days at the airport). But every time I park at street parking, I keep looking over my shoulder for someone to say, "tsk, tsk".
I was not aware of the free airport parking. Is this something you have to sign up for online for a key card or something so you can get in/out of the toll booths without paying?

In Michigan, we’re charged extra for driving electric to make up for not paying the gas tax which is somewhat understandable. The problem is that we’re charged so much extra. I forget what the equivalent number of miles that you’d have to drive in a gas car to make up the difference.

It gives the formula in the revised statute on what the cost will be. I think I read $4 tax per $100 dollars of new value. So let's say on $50,000 car registration would be $2,000 first year and diminishes a stated percentage each year after that.

Specific details:

Reduced Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) License Tax
The vehicle license tax for an AFV registered in Arizona is $4 for every $100 in assessed value. The minimum amount of the annual AFV license tax is $5. AFV assessed values are determined as follows:

• AFVs registered prior to January 1, 2022: 1% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)
  • AFVs initially registered between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022: 20% of the MSRP.
For each succeeding year, for the purpose of calculating the license tax, the value of the AFV is reduced by 15% from the value from the preceding year.
For the purpose of this tax, AFVs include those powered exclusively by propane, natural gas, electricity, hydrogen, or a blend of hydrogen with propane or natural gas. For more information, see the ADOT AFV website. The reduced alternative fuel vehicle license tax does not apply to any vehicle purchased on or after December 31, 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh