Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas are welcome in Arizona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specific details:

Reduced Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) License Tax
The vehicle license tax for an AFV registered in Arizona is $4 for every $100 in assessed value. The minimum amount of the annual AFV license tax is $5. AFV assessed values are determined as follows:

• AFVs registered prior to January 1, 2022: 1% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)
  • AFVs initially registered between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022: 20% of the MSRP.
For each succeeding year, for the purpose of calculating the license tax, the value of the AFV is reduced by 15% from the value from the preceding year.
For the purpose of this tax, AFVs include those powered exclusively by propane, natural gas, electricity, hydrogen, or a blend of hydrogen with propane or natural gas. For more information, see the ADOT AFV website. The reduced alternative fuel vehicle license tax does not apply to any vehicle purchased on or after December 31, 2022.

I hope the SR Y gets released by 12/21

AZ definitely isnt tesla friendly, we just lucked out with cheap registration and HOV access. Cheap registration goes away in 2022 and I bet HOV is slowly on its way out. There is no state incentive for going electric and local utilities are completely against solar. Love AZ but we are shooting ourselves in the foot for trying to go green.

• Love
Reactions: vickh
Specific details:

The vehicle license tax for an AFV registered in Arizona is $4 for every $100 in assessed value. The minimum amount of the annual AFV license tax is $5. AFV assessed values are determined as follows:

• AFVs registered prior to January 1, 2022: 1% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)
  • AFVs initially registered between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022: 20% of the MSRP.
For each succeeding year, for the purpose of calculating the license tax, the value of the AFV is reduced by 15% from the value from the preceding year.
For the purpose of this tax, AFVs include those powered exclusively by propane, natural gas, electricity, hydrogen, or a blend of hydrogen with propane or natural gas. For more information, see the ADOT AFV website. The reduced alternative fuel vehicle license tax does not apply to any vehicle purchased on or after December 31, 2022.
20%? Did you mean 2%?

Just received my special blue plate (good for anytime HOV use) and 5-year registration for a grand total of $174.03. The same car (my wife's diesel Audi) costs about $2,500 for 5-year registration. Arizona rocks electric!

View attachment 451903 View attachment 451904
That is very awesome. In Indiana, they tax electric during registration to punish going electric (it costs me a few extra couple hundred annually to register since my Tesla). They claim it is because I'm not paying fuel tax at pump. It is amazing how some states hate the idea of electric and want to encourage poisoning their habitants and stay away from being green.

Reactions: vickh and tmoz

So when the registration comes due the the SECOND time after five years owning the Tesla I just bought, am I "grandfathered" in at the original registration rate, or does it go up to the new rate? It looks to me like the registration rate stays the same as long as I own the car. And if I sell the car in 2022 or after, would it then fall under the new registration rate for the new owner?

All we have are 4nasty stickers in California :mad:
I saw some products you can put the stickers on so they don't stick on your paint directly. Don't see a lot of people talking about it though so not sure how well they work.
We ordered the following for our Model 3 HOV decals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXIG11X/

We keep the decals in the glove compartment, ready to stick on the car for solo HOV use. I'll admit, though, that we have yet to actually use them, as there are usually 2+ people in the car when driving significant distances on the freeway.

Just received my special blue plate (good for anytime HOV use) and 5-year registration for a grand total of $174.03. The same car (my wife's diesel Audi) costs about $2,500 for 5-year registration. Arizona rocks electric!

View attachment 451903 View attachment 451904
I’m moving to AZ!

Two incentives there. Dollars, obviously. But I just hate the look of the CA HOV stickers all over these gorgeous cars. Special plates! Why didn’t I think of that?

20% is correct!
Okay, this is how I read it. The tax value determined on the car is 20% the MSRP the first year and of that 20% value is what the $4 per $100 is assessed. Example: MSRP of $50,000. Take 20% of $50,000 = $10,000 and $100 goes into that 100 times. So 100 x $4 of assessment= $400 for registration for the first year. I think... and each successive year the tax is reduced by 15%.

My initial post (many posts preceding) is inaccurate based on an example car price of $50,000 and the amount of tax levied. It did not take into consideration the formula of how they determined the value to base the tax from which appears to be 20% of MSRP.

Keep in mind I am not an accountant... but on holiday, I did stay at a renowned chain hotel last night... and it wasn't the one that they keep the light on for ya. :)

Last edited:
I was not aware of the free airport parking. Is this something you have to sign up for online for a key card or something so you can get in/out of the toll booths without paying?
One of the specialty tags we can get is an EV tag. It signals LEO and parking enforcement folks this is an EV. (Hybrids also can get the same tag). When we pull through the checkout booth at the airport, we write (I printed labels for this) our name, tag number and phone number on the back of the ticket. Parking booth folks see this and open the gate. Ca-Ching-Zero.

There's always a but. This ends in ends in 2020. It was intended to encourage EV purchases. It did, so they are taking it away from us.
5,000 airport parking spaces. EV & Hybrid registration is just over 1%. Any given time there 10% of the 5,000 are tied up by EVs. Many airport employees got smart and bought an EV to just part at work.

AZ definitely isnt tesla friendly, we just lucked out with cheap registration and HOV access. Cheap registration goes away in 2022 and I bet HOV is slowly on its way out. There is no state incentive for going electric and local utilities are completely against solar. Love AZ but we are shooting ourselves in the foot for trying to go green.
This may change to favor EV incentives all the way from the federal level when the Democratic Party wins the Presidency in 2020, as they have been using climate changes as one of the differentiation from Uncle Don

Reactions: vickh
This may change to favor EV incentives all the way from the federal level when the Democratic Party wins the Presidency in 2020, as they have been using climate changes as one of the differentiation from Uncle Don

Yes we need this leadership on the federal level. Patchwork of regs is ridiculous

The HOV access is a federal program and people are still grandfathered in here in AZ for hybrids, EVEN if they buy a new hybrid. This was one of the reasons I didn't want to wait for the Y and risk missing out. AZ is big about grandfathering in.

I made a DIY spreadsheet if you want to estimate your AZ registration savings. I couldn't figure out how to attach an Excel file so the images below allow you build it yourself.

I saved about $3500 over 5 years. Also note that there are fixed fees and variable fees. For me it was about $85 in variable fees and about $115 in fixed fees over the five years, for a total of about $200 for five years. This is based on my read of the regulations... no guarantee that it's correct.

values.png

formulas.png

I'll take our stickers over their charging infrastructure any day!!! Phoenix is horrible and Tempe they're non-existent. There's a lot of destination chargers in Scottsdale but again, not one super charger. I learned you have to plan carefully thru there. :confused:
While I do wish we had the charging infrastructure that Cali does, waiting in line for Supercharging is not a thing here. You may not have been around the Metro Phoenix area lately. There are Superchargers located @ 502 E. Camelback Rd, Phoenix. and 2805 Agua Fria Fwy, Phoenix, and 1502 N Kierland Blvd, Scottsdale, and 15059 N. 73rd St, Scottsdale. and others located around the State. Sure, I wish we had more all over the State but some have arrived and are available.

I made a DIY spreadsheet if you want to estimate your AZ registration savings. I couldn't figure out how to attach an Excel file so the images below allow you build it yourself.

I saved about $3500 over 5 years. Also note that there are fixed fees and variable fees. For me it was about $85 in variable fees and about $115 in fixed fees over the five years, for a total of about $200 for five years. This is based on my read of the regulations... no guarantee that it's correct.

View attachment 452693
View attachment 452695
With what I have read going forward after 2022, I don't see how this is correct... Maybe you are talking currently up to or until 2022?