Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Autopilot/FSD demonstration video - request TMC reality check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using NOA on the way home allot, there is light traffic. However, tesla navigation always wants to take me the long way home, so I have to turn it off (go past the recommended exit) then turn it on again afterward. NOA would be great if your not familiar with the area, and it actually gave you good directions, but since I can't exactly trust it it's not as useful as one would hope.

I still bought FSD recently though, because I feel the new computer upgrade may be worth it, and I want to continue to get updates in the future. EAP is where it is at right now, but it isn't offered anymore.

I wish NOA had a commute feature. Like I know my way to work from home, and back, so maybe don't have the chick tell me what to do since the car's the one doing it anyway?

So.... Tesla trained the latest version of their neural network with loads of data about a small area for a demo. And the problem with this is.... what? As more cars drive they feed information back to Tesla, which is used to improve the neural networks. The FSD neural nets are still fairly new. As others noted, if they were ready for general consumption, Tesla would be releasing them.

-J

This is the same stunt they pulled with the 2016 video.

Most of the functionality shown is either available or there are signs of tesla working on it actively, such as stopping at lights/stop signs. From there it’s about making turns on city streets and negotiating with other cars at intersections though the demo video doesn’t show much to that effect (brief sign of it at the very beginning where it thinks it’s at a stop sign and one of the Teslas facing the opposite direction is marked in blue on the visualization).

I’d say the demo video is quite plausible as something that’s reproducible maybe a year from now, after a HW3 retrofit and a bunch more updates.

1) I original only bought EAP, but end up buying FSD for 2K in the special price drop. I truely think Tesla is at least 2 years out for video above. Features of FSD like Advance summon should be released within 3 months (I know that already part of EAP but i truely want hardware upgrade). FSD purchase to me worth the hardware upgrade since I think that’ll cost 2K already, i dont think it worth spending 5K on till FSD is released.

2) Regardless what what any one tell you, i would like to buy a card with Hw3 and willing to wait for an extra month. Its better than buying a car without, buy FSD, wait for couple months to get inline to get hardware swap. This is my personal opinion.

3) there a lot of current user who is beta software for FSD, they are abided by law to not able to talk about it. Unlike any other manufacturers Tesla already testing full self driving on the current fleet of 400K cars in shadow mode. If you want to buy a car that have best shot of FSD, Tesla is the only car company out there that might have a shot.