Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Edge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like you, I'm optimistic on Tesla. I think that with Elon at the wheel (pun intended) Tesla can overcome the challenges. However, unlike most of the replies above, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. As Tesla becomes more successful and demonstrates a market for electric cars, the big boys will take notice. Already, a number of auto makers have electric offerings or plans for them. Those offerings up to now all fall short, but the competition is real and there are deep pockets out there with the capability, if they choose, to compete head on with Tesla. Tesla has a clear lead right now, and nimble and very bright management. But I think they also have a real challenge ahead. The good thing is that I think they know that and will not become complacent.

As for Korea, don't write them off. When I was a kid, "Made in Japan" meant "crap." Japanese consumer products were cheap and poorly made. Basically worthless. Then Japan got its stuff together and now Japanese products are top quality. (Except for those actually made elsewhere!) Korea is rising and their car companies are not linked to oil as the big three U.S. car makers are. China also. I would not buy a Chinese car today (oops, well, I did drive a Chinese-made EV for 4 years --the Zap Xebra-- but it only went 35 mph, which is in itself a safety feature :wink: ) but China is evolving rapidly and has a lot of coal but not much oil, and if it follows the Japanese trajectory in technology (and it has a governmental style that could impose such a trajectory if it chose) it could be a real competitor in the EV market in a decade.

I believe that Tesla will succeed, and will become a big player, able to hold its own against all the others. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. It has a tough road to hoe. I think it can do it. But I think your question points to the primary challenge that Tesla faces over the next decade or two.

I agreed with you Daniel, Korea is moving fast!

China is ambitious but quality control is a big issue, always!

I knew a woman (well, via a chat board) whose business imported materials from China. She said that the Chinese are capable of delivering top quality products, but you have to work very hard to get them to understand that that's what you want, and that you are willing to pay for quality. Most of their exports go to Walmart, where absolute rock-bottom price is the one and only concern, and abysmal quality is acceptable, so they assume that foreigners want the cheapest price possible regardless of what that means for quality.

Once the Chinese, as a business culture, learn that there is a market here for high-quality goods, priced accordingly, they will begin to sell to that demand. Maybe they don't yet know how to build safe, high-quality cars, but once they realize the market exists, they will learn. China was once the world's technological leader. They can compete with the likes of Toyota, Honda, and Tesla if they decide that's what they want to do. Whether they choose to do so, or just keep making cheap plastic crap for Walmart, remains to be seen.

China is not yet a serious threat to Tesla, but BYD is entering the EV market, and the future could be interesting.

You mean even in case of, lets say Apple products? Like iPhones, iPads, MacBooks etc... Probably everyone know that 100% of Apple products is produced in China. Not to mention gazillion other companies that position themselves as premium/luxury markets suppliers. Or hi tech products, for example telecommunication market, where cellular networks/ISP do count every penny spent on maintenance and losses from downtime, and often choose companies like Huawei over European/American/Japanese rivals(Huawei currently second biggest supplier of telecom equipment in the world). Etc and so on.

But the Palo Alto, Calif.-based company has only sold 100 cars so far this year and has cut in half its production target for the new Model S sports sedan, according to Wunderlich Securities analyst Theodore O'Neill. ... The company says it will sell about 15,000 in 2013, but analysts have expressed skepticism that orders will meet those targets.

Uhm, really? That's not half of any number I've ever heard. And that's the first time I've seen 15,000. Where did those figures come from?

Uhm, really? That's not half of any number I've ever heard. And that's the first time I've seen 15,000. Where did those figures come from?
The half comes from "1000 -> 500" for Q3 production numbers. I'm not sure where the 15,000 number comes from.

I couldn't find a direct quote from Wunderlich Securities, but numerous articles/blogposts have their version (as opposed to my shorthand) of the underlined above nearly word for word consistent with each other.

Here's one example:
Tesla: Wunderlich Cuts To Sell; Says Q3 Forecasts At Risk - Forbes

Not always true - intel has managed to change more than once & it's not by accident. In fact, looking to the future and understanding coming changes is reinforced a number of ways.

Oh, it's possible, but if it weren't confidential, I could give you an excellent example of the ossified corporate mentality causing Intel to refuse a massively valuable opportunity which we offered them. Basically, Intel were offered a specific tech which they were very interested in, but they wouldn't take just the license for the application they wanted, they wanted to buy it lock-stock-and-barrel -- and they weren't interested in building the more socially valuable applications. So we turned them down.

Ossified corporate status quo, incapable of thinking outside the box? Yep, Intel is there now.