Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just clicked on the profile and where you see 750 posts click that its a link

Dunno why, but I can't get to that point

TMC04.jpg

I’ve got an order for a M3P with the Black and White interior & FSD. I’ve spoken to Sales and they have given me the option to create a new order to take advantage of the reduced price. They couldn’t offer me a discount on my current order or confirm that UK PCP will be available by the initial delivery dates. Then there is all the current speculation about Tesla’s future and the fact that they have only a few months to survive. Is this just more Tesla hating? I want to keep the White interior option but financing will be fiddly without the dealer lead PCP. I’m wondering whether I could get stung if Tesla do struggle and I’ve paid extra for FSD with no hope of future support. Should I remove FSD, live with the Black interior and reorder, saving nearly £5k or wait to see what happens in the next few months or let it ride?

Same boat here i.e. M3P order with white interior at original price.

Regarding FSD, after experiencing EAP for 2 years on my Model X I have no intention of paying £5k for FSD (basically same functionality as current EAP on my X). Standard AP will do fine. If FSD ever becomes amazing in the next few years I can always buy it later. Probably something to consider more seriously for my next Tesla in 2022. So my advice is to save your money on FSD at this point. It isn't going to drive you around while you read a book or watch videos anytime soon.

White interior is nice for sure (we have it on our X) but I don't think it's worth effectively £5k extra. When you are actually sat in the car you don't even notice the seat colour. But it does look stunning on approach! Black is a bit boring in comparison, but has some obvious practical advantages. I did manage to stain one rear seat with a baby seat protector which would have been invisible with black seats. So really you have to ask yourself if white seats are worth more than £5k in your pocket.

So I'm going to cancel my order and probably wait it out for a few months until the specs settle down and inventory cars start to appear. I expect the white seats will become an option again at some point as demand is clearly there and it can't be such a big deal to produce white seats once initial orders are fulfilled. Plus there are likely to be cancelled cars available shortly, like mine! Might be some deals to be had, but I'm not getting ripped off with my original order now P pricing has been slashed.

Maybe but I have seen some videos where it cuts the corners, sometimes dangerously.

This interesting little puzzle:

Google Maps

on AutoSteer went from

"I'm not going to slow down and drive straight ahead, then suddenly startle and activate Emergency Lane Departure, and yank you towards the median strip if you're not gripping the steering wheel with force; then I'll give up because of the excessive lateral acceleration, with the car pointed to the lamp post, telling you to take over with just a second left" in 2019.16.2

to

"I'll slow down here and avoid crossing the bus stop, following the left edge at some distance using the maximum allowed --and still uncomfortable-- lateral acceleration" in 2019.16.3.2.

Of course after the first incident I was always ready to intervene.

Emergency Lane Departure also insisted on trying to yank you back to the centre of what it thought was the lane whenever it thought there was an emergency; now it tends to gently nudge you back just enough to avoid the (sometimes fake) emergency. Very good when you have bike suggestion lanes that you cross on purpose to hog the side of the road to cross an incoming vehicle and it's suddenly startled by high grass along the road it thinks is going to cross ;-).

Last edited:
So, they have updated my invoice with the price reduction applied to my M3P with white seats. Still no VIN. However, they have applied the new price for the FSD instead of the discount rate I had when I placed my order. Should I be grateful that the base price has been reduced or do you guys think I may have a shout at getting them to reset the FSD price to my original discounted price?

So, they have updated my invoice with the price reduction applied to my M3P with white seats. Still no VIN. However, they have applied the new price for the FSD instead of the discount rate I had when I placed my order. Should I be grateful that the base price has been reduced or do you guys think I may have a shout at getting them to reset the FSD price to my original discounted price?

I expect they've baked it all into the updated price, although in theory the new base price has nothing to do with the previous FSD early buy offer. So you would expect them to still honour the fact that you committed to it early. Being pragmatic though, I very much doubt they will give it to you. But I would certainly ask!

Personally I would not pay for FSD at either price and definitely not the higher one! I have already concluded that Nav on AP is pretty useless for UK driving (I now have it on my Model X), so it's really a matter of whether or not you think semi-auto lane changing is worth nearly £6k. It is actually quite useful when driving on AP, but I wouldn't value it as an option above say a grand. FSD sounds so much more impressive than it actually is in reality and therefore you are just paying for a future promise. Why not just wait until it becomes a reality and buy it then? Presuming you still actually own the car by that point! I reckon it might just be possibly worth it on my next Tesla in 2022.

Good point but having seen some youtube videos of the enhanced summons, the FOMO creature is in the house. Pretty useless but what a gimmick.

I will try my luck for a price reduction but I'm not going to hold out much hope.

Good point but having seen some youtube videos of the enhanced summons, the FOMO creature is in the house. Pretty useless but what a gimmick.

I will try my luck for a price reduction but I'm not going to hold out much hope.

I think advanced summons is severely restricted in the UK, but anyway I can think of much better ways of spending £6k! But it's your money so I hope you enjoy it.

Pretty useless but what a gimmick.

We could have a sweepstake on the time interval between Gimmick and Useful - I think it might be quite short.

For me improving the speed from "snail" to "decent" would make it worthwhile, but then I'd only be a user for "Chucking it down with rain" to get the car to come to me. And possibly also "Arrive at station, tell the car to drop me at the door and go-park itself whilst I get a ticket"

Not to mention "You'll never believe this" demos :) I already have a well rehearsed script for that

Phone APP and turn AirCon on
Check out TeslaFi to see what the car has been up to
** Add Enhanced Summon process here :) **
Door handles pop out as walk up to car
Get in - suitable Spotify already set so playing on entry
Some familiarisation of controls "What was your favourite track back in the 70's?" - everything available via Spotify of course
Set a long distance trip on SatNav, check out the Supercharger recommendation and how many stalls are free (useless as will have changed by the time I got there ... but)
Turn on LIVE TRAFFIC
Change to SATELLITE and zoom right in on destination and ponder about what the landmarks are and where entrance to car park actually is
Turn the music off ... Set off ... whisper quiet

Explain about regen, on road outside house accelerate a bit and do full regen to show it is more than normal ICE engine braking
Drive 1/2 mile to main road
Stop at T-Junction, turn on Insane/Ludicrous/not-Chill :) whatever. I used to point out that the basic mode was called "sport" :) but now there is also Chill of course. Check no traffic coming (so I can do the stop/launch)
Onto main road, and stop. "5, 4, 3" Launch. Hopefully they were expecting me to count down to 1 :D
(I carry on counting down to zero and mention we are at 60 in those 3 seconds)
Probably get up to 90 before I lift off ...

Reduce speed to 60, AP on. By then we will be approaching village, at the 40 MPH sign AP will slow, and there is a vicious double-bend in the village which it will drive round, and then as we come out of the 40 limit AP will speed back up.

"Basically it just drives itself, as you can see"

That's normally enough to get a Referral :)

We could have a sweepstake on the time interval between Gimmick and Useful - I think it might be quite short.

For me improving the speed from "snail" to "decent" would make it worthwhile, but then I'd only be a user for "Chucking it down with rain" to get the car to come to me. And possibly also "Arrive at station, tell the car to drop me at the door and go-park itself whilst I get a ticket"

Would you seriously trust it to park itself sensibly at a busy station? Also what happens if it fails to find a suitable space? Does it come back to you or just keep driving around until it finds a space? Also what happens when it all goes wrong and there is an accident? Too many ugly variables for my liking and I'm way too fussy about choosing parking spaces with minimal chance of battle damage.

There's a good reason why my car has zero parking dings in 2 years while my wife's car looks like it's been through a war zone! Maybe there will be a "strategic parking" option in future where it assess spaces for risk factor based on width and nearby vehicles, with perhaps a checkbox for avoiding spaces next to minivans with multiple child seats installed and all commercial vans?

Last edited:
There's a good reason why my car has zero parking dings in 2 years while my wife's car looks like it's been through a war zone! Maybe there will be a "strategic parking" option in future where it assess spaces for risk factor based on width and nearby vehicles, with perhaps a checkbox for avoiding spaces next to minivans with multiple child seats installed and all commercial vans?[/QUOTE
I'm exactly the same when I park my car but that's not the point, if and when autonomous parking becomes available you will have the option to use it.

*OOPS*

I'm exactly the same when I park my car but that's not the point, if and when autonomous parking becomes available you will have the option to use it.

I'm just more pragmatic about it and of course the opportunity cost of FSD.

I actually have Summon disabled on my MX after reading many stories of people shunting their Tesla into garage door posts etc. At the moment in the UK you can very slowly move your car backwards and forwards with Summon, which may or may not be useful depending on your parking requirements. I'm sure it will get better over time, but I'm not expecting to watch my car park itself with the morons in our local supermarket carpark. I'm even less inclined to allow it to battle for a space by itself on the school run!

Auto parallel parking works surprisingly well with the giant MX, but it needs a parked car either side to actually work properly and it can't detect sections of kerbs protruding out, so your wheel rims are at risk if you are not there to stop it. It also leaves your car a good 6" or more away from the kerb, which may or may not be a problem depending on the situation. Auto perpendicular parking is extremely slow and cumbersome, but it does get there in the end. Obviously for full extended summon to work effectively, these parking routines need to be flawless and take into account traffic and people moving around the vehicle. As it stands you need to manually pause auto park if another car approaches as it basically ignores what is happening in the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Would you seriously trust it to park itself sensibly at a busy station?

Elon says its safe then its safe :D

But I'm happy that the "real world usage start date" for that is "when it actually works" ... a bit like WLTP Range and "Range on motorway at 75 MPH" ...

Does it come back to you or just keep driving around until it finds a space?

I'm fine with it just driving around all day until I need it again ... provided it can also go to Supercharger and "refuel" ... I can see Autonomous as causing that exact problem - cheaper to drive around all day than park at NCP outrageous rates. A new 1st world problem ... "parking jam"

Maybe there will be a "strategic parking" option in future where it assess spaces for risk factor

I remember a post which hypothesised (before FSD was announced) that all Tesla drivers would park at the far end of the car park, using summon, 1" apart ... to prevent parking dings. Self parking could do similar ... down the end where, for example, my wife would never park because if returning late, no lighting, long way to walk if raining etc etc.

Signs saying "Cheap, undesirable, parking bays reserved for cars with Summon / FSD". No doubt they will all have destination chargers ... and my pigs are all fed, and ready to fly :)

• Funny
Reactions: Peteski