Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove a 3. No Good.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been looking at the 3 and finally went to the Tesla store to drive one today. I loved it! What a great car. I liked everything about it except getting in and out of the car. For some reason the B pillar is too far forward for me so I rammed my shoulder into it every time I got out of the car. I think its because I am tall and have the driver seat kind of far back. And getting in was a dance to avoid it. Had the same problem with a Ford Taurus SHO I looked at a few years ago. Some sedans are just that way and sadly the 3 is one of those cars. However I am very excited to see the Y. I typically buy SUV or crossover type vehicles because they are higher and have easy entry and exit for me. I am hopefully optimistic the Y will work. By the way the X is perfect for me, just not the price! That is an amazing SUV.

Unfortunately easy entry doesn't move the B pillar. I can understand where the OP is coming from - some people are just built in ways that don't work for many cars. Just wait till you get older, and start losing mobility - almost all cars start getting difficult to get into.

Reactions: davidc18
I think its because I am tall
So I’m curious. How tall are you? And what is your pant leg inseam measurement? That is relevant to determine if your legs or your torso contribute more to your overall height.

I am 6’ 2” with 32” inseam. Not particularly tall, but have no trouble entering/existing my 3 or S. The X is even easier, of course.

Use it to make the seat go forward squashing the OP legs so he can avoid the B pillar? Easy entry indeed.

You don't need to move the seat forward. Just straighten up the seat back when setting the easy exit. Some taller people like to recline the seat back too much. I think that is how the B pillar could get in the way when exiting.

Last edited:
So I have been looking at the 3 and finally went to the Tesla store to drive one today. I loved it! What a great car. I liked everything about it except getting in and out of the car. For some reason the B pillar is too far forward for me so I rammed my shoulder into it every time I got out of the car. I think its because I am tall and have the driver seat kind of far back. And getting in was a dance to avoid it. Had the same problem with a Ford Taurus SHO I looked at a few years ago. Some sedans are just that way and sadly the 3 is one of those cars. However I am very excited to see the Y. I typically buy SUV or crossover type vehicles because they are higher and have easy entry and exit for me. I am hopefully optimistic the Y will work. By the way the X is perfect for me, just not the price! That is an amazing SUV.
I have the same problem. Since I am 6'2" I have to put the seat back, but when I do, the B pillar is right where my head is. Whenever I look out the window to the left to check if I have clear road to proceed the pillar is always in the way so I have to either lean forward or back to get some visibility.

What I don't understand is why, with only a handful of posts under your belt, you'd title your thread the way did.

You love the car but... "No Good", really! Maybe you should have titled it "Test drove a 3 and it was awesome" and then explained why you might be a little tall and it's a little awkward for you and how you'd much prefer an X but don't have the means.

I'm 6'7" and that's why I've got an X instead of an S. I fit in an S and enjoy driving it and it's a little hard to enter and exit but I don't say it's no good, it's just that I'm a giant freak. Not the cars fault.

What I don't understand is why, with only a handful of posts under your belt, you'd title your thread the way did.

You love the car but... "No Good", really! Maybe you should have titled it "Test drove a 3 and it was awesome" and then explained why you might be a little tall and it's a little awkward for you and how you'd much prefer an X but don't have the means.

I'm 6'7" and that's why I've got an X instead of an S. I fit in an S and enjoy driving it and it's a little hard to enter and exit but I don't say it's no good, it's just that I'm a giant freak. Not the cars fault.

Clickbait.

Unfortunately easy entry doesn't move the B pillar. I can understand where the OP is coming from - some people are just built in ways that don't work for many cars. Just wait till you get older, and start losing mobility - almost all cars start getting difficult to get into.

It doesn't move the B pillar, but it does move the seat in relation to the B pillar, so you don't hit it as you get out of the car. I had the exact same problem, moving the Easy Entry position forward and/or seat back up, solved the issue.

Reactions: liuping