Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas buyers. Bank wants title transfer guarantee doc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had no trouble at all with this with PenFed. Apparently they trust their customers to perfect the lien. There was a clause that allowed them to convert it to a personal loan at the prevailing interest rate for same if the car wasn't titled with them as lienholder in some reasonable amount of time (60 days IIRC).
Same with NFCU, as registration was taking extra long to complete they’d even sent a letter to that effect.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I think with the new 2020 something is different because the sales tax isn't paid on my MPV
E3E9B05F-8115-45C8-857A-74067AC09CED.jpeg

• Disagree
Right, in my case this was end of 2019 so it can be different now. Essentially I've just had to sign, send the packet back to Fremont and they Tesla sent it back here to the Tile Girl. Took about 5 weeks until I got my plates in the mail.
Same on the P3D+. Took delivery mid December, received packet within 3 days and sent it back to have “Title Girl” do it for me. For me on the SR it’s better this way though as it’s a business car however on the Y I’ll be reaching out pre-emptively to that service to see if they can still process it.

To that end, I’ll be arguing the doc fee on both as they aren’t doing the title work for me. It’s cheeky enough to sneak in an order fee as part of the cost of the car.

Hey y'all - so I took delivery of my M3 2/12 and I have no idea what I am supposed to do about tax, title and registration. I got the packet in mail but now what? Do I go to the DMV? Tax office? I'm.in Austin / Travis county. So where the **** do I go? I am pretty sure I owe someone money.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a PITA... You’ll need to go to the Travis County Tax Assessor/Collectors Office with some paperwork and pay the taxes.

I did this once with an out of state vehicle purchase.

They’ll need the MVPA, insurance, DL, completed Title & Registration Form (pull them off the website) & payment. I think that’s it, but check on their website or call: Vehicles.

Mine is supposed to deliver on the 14th, so I'll get to do this over in Harris Co.

Cheers!

Yeah, it’s a bit of a PITA... You’ll need to go to the Travis County Tax Assessor/Collectors Office with some paperwork and pay the taxes.

They’ll need the MVPA, insurance, DL, completed Title & Registration Form (pull them off the website) & payment. I think that’s it, but check on their website or call: Vehicles.

Mine is supposed to deliver on the 14th, so I'll get to do this over in Harris Co.

Cheers!
Curious if I can forego the temp permits and just register using the set of plates that came off the 3MR. Hmm.

• Disagree

Cheers!

thanks for this! that’s what the pet work says so i was totally confused. like why would i go there? so the car is registered because i have temp permits so plates will come? but i need to go to the tax office to pay sales tax? am i getting that right? or do i still need to go to the dmv after the tax office?

thanks for this! that’s what the pet work says so i was totally confused. like why would i go there? so the car is registered because i have temp permits so plates will come? but i need to go to the tax office to pay sales tax? am i getting that right? or do i still need to go to the dmv after the tax office?

For better or worse my credit union collected the tax on the full sale amount of the car and fees and added to the financed amount. You need to get a "Trade-in Annex" form from Tesla for the bank to subtract the trade-in price from the sale price in order for them to calculated the correct taxes. In Texas you pay 6.25 % ( sales price - trade in value).

So make sure you get the "Trade-in Annex" document from Tesla if you want to discount the trade-in value from your taxes when you go to register your car. NOTE Tesla will not include this in your registration package you need to ask them for this separately.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4

You’ll get the plates from the Tax Collector Assessor also. No need to go to DMV office.