Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas "Pre-existing" M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone :D semi-new to the forum, but my first EV related post. I have recently purchased a local pre-existing "new" M3P in Texas. There's not super clear difference between a new order vs pre-existing, as far as the process has been so far.

Tesla:
- Order car ($2500 down)
- Get POA
- Get car paid for (did that this evening)
- Deliver car....at some point...somewhere between when money is received, 2-3 business days for temp tag (really?) and up 7 business days for delivery for a car that is 15 mins from my house supposedly.

Bank:
- Get POA
- Figure out Finance Options
- Send money

Both require proof of insurance.
At this point I have ordered a local pre-existing car, have sent money for said car, and now will wait to see when I actually get said car. Being told it could take 2-3 business days to get a temp tag is interesting, and then another 5-7 days to deliver a car that in theory is just down the street.

Timeline so far
  • 8/5: Car I wanted popped up, paid $2500 to get POA and gather information for bank/Tesla
  • 8/6: purchase insurance to appease both parties + get financing sent over to Tesla
Complaints:
  • First point of contact was an online person, then another person who said they would be with me for the entire process, but after I got an email to schedule delivery I got put in contact with another person who said they would be with me.
  • Have paid for a car, insurance, and $2500 to Tesla, for something I have not seen nor know when I will get :confused:
Appreciations?
  • Tesla people have been quite easy to deal with, and respond at a semi-decent rate
  • Bank was more than awesome (granted my family has had a great relationship with them) so they were super helpful and have dealt with Teslas before.
  • Some day soon I will have my M3P :D
If anyone is in the DFW area and needs a place to check out financing PM me and I'll direct you to the gentleman who assisted me :)

Con....grats???? :p

Seriously though, congratulations! I'm in for updates as one day I'll be in your shoes waiting for mine and I want to know as much as I can before my big day :D

Thanks :D! I guess this forum doesn't have an "edit" feature to update the OP, owell

8/7: Money should have gotten to Tesla this morning. My email from yesterday evening wasn't answered (about how many days it takes for a "local" Tesla). And my email this afternoon asking if they had received the funds, also unanswered. Guess at this point it's a waiting and guessing game, as to when I will get the car that been paid for, insured for, but not seen .-.

Going to call and see if I can at least get some response. 24 hours of silence for a nearly $70k car seems kinda silly when they were so responsive to start off.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I ordered a "stock" model 3 on 8/2 and I was too shocked that the first delivery time was 8/14. I never received an answer as to why from tesla. Only thing I can figure out their delivery specials are booked up 7-8 days... Ah well.... Well worth the wait!

My issue isn't the waiting, I don't mind waiting a few days. The issue is I haven't gotten a response in 30 hours, have spent $2500 and my bank sent the money yesterday evening. Also, had to have insurance for the Tesla in place, so out on that too.

And my original "person who would be my main contact" hasn't responded since I got the new "person who would be my main contact" lol so it's just a bizarre game and unsettling to have paid $67500 for a car sight unseen, not knowing when you'll truly get it, and not getting responses for over a day now.

Didn't get an answer when I called, so just going to go to a showroom and see if I can talk to someone and just figure out how it works in Texas with an "existing inventory"

Did you get a text to schedule your pick up? I got that the Monday after the Friday I ordered it. Hadn't paid my down payment or completed financing yet. I was impressed.
Yeah, I have it scheduled for Friday at 10am :3

Finally got a response from them a few hours ago, they still haven't applied my payment to the account. Said it could take 1-2 days. But since the car "should" be local, the delivery should be MUCH quicker than 5-7 business days.

Interesting process to say the least, my father (old school almost always buys used as you can save a big chunk, and is what I have always done myself) is complaining more than me due to "why on earth would a company function that way". Not really Teslas fault, more of just crappy Texas laws, and saves markup from dealers IMHO. He's giving me some grief on never having seen the car, buying it "sight unseen". I've also never driven a Tesla, only ridden in them :X But due to my love for cars and technology (obsession) I don't see where I could go wrong with a Tesla....

8/7: Still no update on payment, can take 1-2 days. But since car is local should be a quicker delivery. Interesting process to say the least, my father (old school almost always buys used as you can save a big chunk, and is what I have always done myself)

8/8: Bank called this morning, apparently they send cashier checks. And it was sent out Tuesday evening, but UPS did not deliver it (even though it was given before the deadline time). So the check was not received until this morning....

Also, realized my delivery date is no 8/16/19 (next Friday).

So as of today, I am 2 days into my car loan, 2 days into my car insurance, for a car just down the street. But I have not seen it, nor driven it xD And may not get it until next Friday.

Hei!

I'm going to take you up on what you said about the finance guy you mentioned. I'm Irving and I'm planning on placing an order for a LR AWD soon. I was planning on checking out Alliant Credit Union. I've heard good things about them and apparently they work with Tesla a lot. Mind if I ask what bank you chose?

Hei!

I'm going to take you up on what you said about the finance guy you mentioned. I'm Irving and I'm planning on placing an order for a LR AWD soon. I was planning on checking out Alliant Credit Union. I've heard good things about them and apparently they work with Tesla a lot. Mind if I ask what bank you chose?

Hey! Just be ready for a goofy dealings in terms of the process of purchasing in Texas. It's odd.

I went with BB&T as we have a relationship with them :)

I bought an inventory P3 in Dallas a few weeks ago.

It took less than a week.

Found inventory car on Monday, canceled custom order on Tuesday and “ordered” inventory car on Tuesday.

Got MVPA on Wednesday (had to call Tesla’s generic number as the person in Vegas who was handling this was incommunicado).

Credit Union check went out via Fedex 2 day on Wednesday.
Paid downpayment via ACH on Wednesday.

CU emailed photo of cashier’s check and Fedex tracking # to the person in Vegas on Thursday.

Car marked as paid on Friday.

Picked it up from the Dallas Service Center on Saturday.

I bought an inventory P3 in Dallas a few weeks ago.

It took less than a week.

Found inventory car on Monday, canceled custom order on Tuesday and “ordered” inventory car on Tuesday.

Got MVPA on Wednesday (had to call Tesla’s generic number as the person in Vegas who was handling this was incommunicado).

Credit Union check went out via Fedex 2 day on Wednesday.
Paid downpayment via ACH on Wednesday.

CU emailed photo of cashier’s check and Fedex tracking # to the person in Vegas on Thursday.

Car marked as paid on Friday.

Picked it up from the Dallas Service Center on Saturday.

OOOOO so you can pick up on a Saturday?! There is hope <3

They have my check as of 9:30ish this morning, so hopefully gets marked paid Tomorrow :X Fingers crossed. I was legitimately expecting to maybe get it mid next week, or Friday their delivery date. You have given me hope, don't let me down :p

Sounds like quite the ordeal.
I hope for Tesla's sake the "unique" nature in which your purchased has been handled is solely because of TX law and not how they would operate on a Used Car purchase in most other states.

You seem to have loads of patience though, so suspect it will all work out!

Sounds like quite the ordeal.
I hope for Tesla's sake the "unique" nature in which your purchased has been handled is solely because of TX law and not how they would operate on a Used Car purchase in most other states.

You seem to have loads of patience though, so suspect it will all work out!

Just got the email this afternoon that my payment has been applied to my car, so now they will schedule the delivery. Hopefully this weekend :3 But we will see.

Unfortunately, getting one purchased in general is just difficult in Texas. I tried towards the end of last year to see what it would take to get one financed as I was wanting to get rid of my 2017 Camaro SS Conv, but it was hard to find someone who understood the Tesla system. Had it not been for the banker telling me he knew how the process worked and could get it done I would of maybe tried going to another state and purchasing one vs dealing with the goofy Texas laws. But with how they don't want direct sales from manufacturers I don't see it ever changing to be honest.

8/9: My "main point of contact" emailed me last night with updates, but when I emailed today they were out of town from 8/9 - 8/13 lol. Fortunately, my payment was verified by another person who CC'd my "delivery team". So now to see when I can get delivery, and if I can pick it up before that time I am going to do so :)

And thank the Lord I can be patient due to the circumstance that I am currently in, I have a company vehicle that I can use. It's just older and a gas guzzler, and I can finally afford a Tesla without having to worry about breaking the bank. I REALLY want to just get the car, and it's a little worrisome going through this odd process. I've owned 8 cars in the last 13 years (I buy, drive for a year, flip for a little profit, repeat). Have only once bought a car on the spot, without driving it a few times, and have never owned a brand new car. I'm literally doing the exact opposite I told myself I would never do. Buy a brand new car, sight unseen, and PAYING for it before the process even gets started. I'm just curious what Tesla's sales would be if they weren't handcuffed in 8 states. Texas being one of the largest pop states in the country too xD

Tesla does not babysit the ordering process. They tell you what they need, and then will put it together and do final inspections and attend to all the details, then notify you of your delivery schedule.

No back and forth for every little detail, but simply circle back when everything is in order for them to invite you over to pick up your car.

No need to get emotional about it. They are a tech company at heart, and don't do a lot of hand holding throughout the process.

Understand this is nothing personal, but they just do things in the most efficient way possible for them. They are a different kind of car company, and expecting them to act like typical car dealerships will often lead to frustration.\

The cars are flat out amazing.

Reactions: Jazz3D
Tesla does not babysit the ordering process. They tell you what they need, and then will put it together and do final inspections and attend to all the details, then notify you of your delivery schedule.

No back and forth for every little detail, but simply circle back when everything is in order for them to invite you over to pick up your car.

No need to get emotional about it. They are a tech company at heart, and don't do a lot of hand holding throughout the process.

Understand this is nothing personal, but they just do things in the most efficient way possible for them. They are a different kind of car company, and expecting them to act like typical car dealerships will often lead to frustration.\

The cars are flat out amazing.

Typing on phone, apologize for typos :)

I understand the straight to the point responses, and I don't mind getting 1 a day maybe. But when I send $65000 to someone and haven't heard back from them in over 30+ hours I just want to make sure it got there :) once I knew the money got there, I was at peace with the rest for the most part.

The biggest issue I have, is lack of clarity.
1) I've been told "I will be the person to walk you through this whole process" 3 times. And am on my 4th or 5th contact. Just be like "yo this is my team, we will be handling you through each stage :)"
2) the time line oddity, 1-2 business days to process funds, 2-3 business days to print off a temp tag, 5-7 business days to deliver a local car. Followed by "but this can vary" is a little off putting.
3) progress bar, aside from email/phone call communication there's no way to track your order. Would be cool to know where you're at in the process without having to talk to someone.

Overall, these are very minute complaints in the grand picture. I'm just sharing my thought process through purchasing in Texas. As I found very little info on it beforehand. And is honestly the reason I started this thread :D

With money in their possession curious if I'll be able to get the new baby tomorrow or not. If not, all is well. I've been researching more about the fsd process and machine learning process anyway. Tesla vs other companies is.... Quite staggering to be honest. It makes me more excited seeing the effort they put into their system. It's almost as if the cars are just for fun and the software being their real goal.

And thank the Lord I can be patient due to the circumstance that I am currently in.

Ahem, no you can’t! ^^^
(I just read this thread, so I know)

Here’s what you can do though:

Sometime this Saturday, I need to go to Nebraska in The Colony. The Tesla store is not that far from there; I’ll swing by and drop off a couple of items for you, most importantly a Model 3 sunshade, which will help keep your head cool until you receive your car (and afterwards as well).

20F5177C-6F42-4CFD-B93E-770AAA608C06.jpeg

This is stuff I never quite got to use and it’s been collecting dust in the garage ever since I sold my Tesla.

I’ll tell the staff there that “Brad” will pick the items up, and I’ll let you know here once I’ve dropped them off.

Ahem, no you can’t! ^^^
(I just read this thread, so I know)

Here’s what you can do though:

Sometime this Saturday, I need to go to Nebraska in The Colony. The Tesla store is not that far from there; I’ll swing by and drop off a couple of items for you, most importantly a Model 3 sunshade, which will help keep your head cool until you receive your car (and afterwards as well).

View attachment 439989

This is stuff I never quite got to use and it’s been collecting dust in the garage ever since I sold my Tesla.

I’ll tell the staff there that “Brad” will pick the items up, and I’ll let you know here once I’ve dropped them off.

Haha yeah... I did lose my cool when I was in the dark about where the payment was at :( but it's hot here in Texas!

And wow! Thanks a ton :D just don't get lost in Nebraska furniture that place is a maze. Once you go in you don't know when you'll come out. Awesome store.