Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 483 Mile Report: Two Days With My New 2020 Model S LR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would "risk" it in this case because based on my personal experience with tires that thing is likely fine.

And this one is not black and white for sure based on photo at least. And then throw in a 'Job's worth' and sale of a tire at 450 and it's worth a second though.

On a brand new car though, you can understand wanting everything to be 100%+.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell that screw came even close to the belts. Not even remotely.

OP, post a photo of the inside if the tire showing where the screw damaged the sidewall. This I gotta see. Prove me wrong.

dude, this repair has nothing to do with belts. the fact that you think that, shows how little you know. sidewalls are subject to different loads than the contact patch of the tire. please stop giving incorrect, and dangerous anecdotal advice.

Perhaps the worst, most dreaded view in the world for a Tesla owner

Amazingly at no time did the tow truck driver wear a mask

05D62FEA-2B81-4971-8A71-2F4FA5D6E078.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey
Another observation:

Why does the 2020 S LR+ have no “MODEL S” badging on the rear of the car?

It just says “DUAL MOTOR” in small letters on the right. Another time/money-saving measure by Tesla at the factory?

This you can fix. I got some floss and removed the "Dual Motor" badge, then bought a "SpaceX" badge and put in where the "Dual Motor" had been.

As to whether or not the car needs a "Model S" badge, well, mine doesn't. I say, Let 'Em Guess. They catch up to me at the next light and ooze up beside me, checking it out, wondering what it is. "Oh! A Tesla!" Too late. I'm gone again. And they go home to google "SpaceX".

A tire on our Volt just got "screwed" in almost the exact same spot. Was slowly leaking over a few days. When such a thing happens, resist the urge to pull the screw out. Just re-inflate to the tires max rated PSI, and drive it where it needs to be. In your case, somewhere easy for the tow truck. In my case it was to the nearest tire shop - where I had just purchased new tires for the car right before "shelter in place"... (It was also too close to the sidewall to repair. So I feel your pain having to buy yet another new tire.)

This is exactly why I said that I would plug it and go about my business.

It's a nearly new tire so for me I would "risk" it in this case because based on my personal experience with tires that thing is likely fine. I use common sense on a lot of things though that many don't see as "safe" so I don't expect everyone to understand big boy rules.

None of that was meant as a sarcastic slight towards you at all BTW, just quoting you in response and making more broad stroke generalizations.
I think the reason shops will not plug is because some one years ago, got a plug and it failed because of poor repair.....cause accident and they got sued big time....so now, dealers will just say its too close and refuse to do it

Turns out Tesla pulled a fast one, Goodyear messed up, and Discount Tire got shipped the wrong tire.

Just by a little bit though! Turns out Tesla puts special Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45R19 98W tires on the S at the factory: these tires each have a sound-deadening foam glued to the inner surface. Well there’s a special code for such tires and I sure as hell didn’t see it so we got the non-foam version.

I put it on anyway.

They then tried to charge me $30 higher than Tire Rack’s price. I busted them on that real fast. Pays to do your homework. :)

Perhaps the worst, most dreaded view in the world for a Tesla owner

Amazingly at no time did the tow truck driver wear a mask

View attachment 556874
Oh man, I know that feeling. Was driving home from work and hit a pot hole that blew out both the front and rear passenger tires.
Had to get a tow truck to tow it back to town 25 miles. Was sad seeing it on the tow truck

dude, this repair has nothing to do with belts. the fact that you think that, shows how little you know. sidewalls are subject to different loads than the contact patch of the tire. please stop giving incorrect, and dangerous anecdotal advice.
Tires have "belts" in the sidewall for increased strength and rigidity that's required for carrying the vehicle load and cornering stability. This is the part that can become damaged which will compromise the integrity of the tire since this is where all of the force is focused. This is the exact reason you don't repair a tire who's sidewall has become compromised. The "1-inch rule" or whatever you've heard is just extra precaution but as long as the sidewall is intact and undamaged it's fine to repair. Someone's lawyer somewhere made up the "1-inch rule" because that's what lawyers do. There's is nothing dangerous about plugging a tire with a screw hole in the tread area. Tire shops will often tell someone who doesn't know these things "it's dangerous" because it's easier to sell a new tire and all of the service that comes with said new tire. The average consumer isn't going to question if it's a "safety" issue. The reality is that in most cases it's not. That's all I'm saying is what I would do. There's no need for debate what I would do so why you chose to come at me I have no idea. Your messages towards me are almost always inflammatory and it's unnecessary & distracting. If you have an issue with me feel free to send me a PM to discuss otherwise take your hostility elsewhere.

This isn't the right thread for people to be arguing over where on a tire a puncture is patchable.

Thanks for understanding...

Bruce.
Agreed. I've explained why I said what I said to avoid confusion since words have been put in my mouth to misrepresent what I was saying. I've also invited the other member who appears to have a chip on his should to private message me if he wishes to discuss further to avoid distracting these threads.

Reactions: bmah