Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The additional seals on the Model 3 really work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised how much difference the door seals I used made. The noise was reduced to roughly the same as the Leaf rather than being excessively loud which was one of my gripes when I first got the car.

The seals I got were somewhat custom.. different types of seal for different parts and a proper L shape for the door corners. The excess is just to avoid being too short accidentally I think. I didn't have to trim for drain holes - they weren't blocked.

I had similar mud flaps but they weren't flat on the front facing part, they were concave, which would introduce a lot of drag, so I decided not to fit them. Will look at that later on.

Not tried the roof seal.. I may do if it helps, but the videos I saw on it were inconclusive.
Totally agree with all that - except for the need to accommodate the drain holes. I found that the contact patch for the lower door seal went straight across the drain hole so I cut a small slot to ensure it wasn't blocked.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
My Model 3 is at the service centre today to fix a whistle from the passenger side between 40 and 50mph. It’s coming from the door mirror. The technician said it might be to do with a piece of foam behind the mirror cap.
How did it go? Did you have to agree to a £72 diagnosis fee before hand? (Waived if it turns out to be warranty).

Mine is in on Wed for a whistling noise between 30 and 70mph.

Annoying thing is, it goes away when it's raining, and chances are it will be raining this week! Tesla have not been able to tell me what happens regarding the £72 if they drive it in the rain and there is no whistling.

How did it go? Did you have to agree to a £72 diagnosis fee before hand? (Waived if it turns out to be warranty).

Mine is in on Wed for a whistling noise between 30 and 70mph.

Annoying thing is, it goes away when it's raining, and chances are it will be raining this week! Tesla have not been able to tell me what happens regarding the £72 if they drive it in the rain and there is no whistling.
I don't have a whistle, but there's a bit of wind noise from the driver's door area above about 60mph. At the weekend I taped up various bits of the door/window/wing mirror. The only thing that made any difference was tape around the wing mirror- and it got WORSE. Not sure what to do now. My wife thinks I'm being OCD since in truth it's not too bad. Maybe I'll just leave it. Oddly, it doesn't get much worse as the speed increases. At 100, it's actually pretty quiet.

I don't have a whistle, but there's a bit of wind noise from the driver's door area above about 60mph. At the weekend I taped up various bits of the door/window/wing mirror. The only thing that made any difference was tape around the wing mirror- and it got WORSE. Not sure what to do now. My wife thinks I'm being OCD since in truth it's not too bad. Maybe I'll just leave it. Oddly, it doesn't get much worse as the speed increases. At 100, it's actually pretty quiet.

Probably can't hear it over the police sirens.

• Funny
Reactions: Pablosammy
Looking at reviews of tha Basenor door seal kit on Amazon:

Most people think they reduce noise to a worthwhile extent.
Ignoring the complaints of those who probably haven’t watched the installation video, the most common complaint seems to be that the glue is no good and the seals fall off after a while.

What’s the experience of people on here who have had the kits fitted for a while? Do the seals fall off? If they don’t, could it be because they were fitted in warm weather, or special cleaning precautions were taken before installation.?

Looking at reviews of tha Basenor door seal kit on Amazon:

Most people think they reduce noise to a worthwhile extent.
Ignoring the complaints of those who probably haven’t watched the installation video, the most common complaint seems to be that the glue is no good and the seals fall off after a while.

What’s the experience of people on here who have had the kits fitted for a while? Do the seals fall off? If they don’t, could it be because they were fitted in warm weather, or special cleaning precautions were taken before installation.?
No issues with mine. In fact, I put some spare seal on the top of the wing mirror mount when trying to fix some wind noise issues. It didn't help and I eventually found the real issue, but getting the seal off was a nightmare. The glue was much stronger than the rubber seal and I had to resort to some acetone to clear it (being very careful with it I must add).