Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The agony of deciding on a CPO

Would you go with the 85D I laid out, or the P85?

• 2014 P85 - 25k miles, Pano Roof, Smart Air, UHF Sound, Hi-Power 2 Charger, 2/100, $4k Less

• 2015 85D - 45k miles, Pano Roof, Premium Upgrade, UHF Sound, Subzero, 4/50, $4k more

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

First time poster here. I've been watching CPO's for what feels like ever and i'm ready to pull the trigger. I had my heart set on a 2015 (AP 1.0) 85D forever, but there's a pretty good deal on a P85 right now. I had always been filtering by Premium Upgrade Package, but I'm honestly not even sure what I'm getting with that anymore.

Take this guy as an example...
No Lighting Package - yet i see cornering/fog lights in the pictures?
Override: Power Liftgate
Lighted Door Handles

So the premium package gives me ambient lighting inside? I feel like everything the premium package has is being offered here without the premium package?

Basically here's what it comes down to
P85 - pano roof, smart air suspension, ultra hifi, carbon fiber spoiler, red brake calibers, hi-power 2 charger, 20k less miles and 4k cheaper. 100k/2 year
85D - pano roof, ultra hifi, subzero, premium package, 21' turbine rims but 20k more miles and 4k more expensive, 50k/4 year

I'm having a tough time justifying the 85d. The warranty difference is really small because I'm going to drive somewhere closer to 18k-20k miles a year, so I'm really only gaining about 6 months with a 50k/4 year.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Range is King and 85D is better range and less fun but similar numbers in terms of acceleration.

Also AP1 is missing from P85 and that's big for me.

4k is a big difference and the warranty is a wash for you so it's not an easy choice but luckily you can't go wrong.

Sorry to interrupt but I have a question regarding the warranties.

My understanding (which may be incorrect)

- 2 year 100K starts the day of delivery
- 4 year 50K is the original warranty, e.g., whichever comes first, warranty expires

Am I wrong about the latter? Is this a brand new 4/50 warranty which starts when you take delivery?

@HankLloydRight

The warranty on paper looks better but it doesn't seem like it would help you, so I'd save the $4K. Unless you are a superaggressive driver that has places to use the P. I have an 85 and its more than enough.

20,000 less miles on the car is a big difference.

Oh lord if I start considering the 70d or 85 this just gets so much more complicated haha. I've always wanted a sub 5 second car. So that was my goal heading in...i realize those are both like what 5.2 or something? But ugg maybe i should save another 5k and go 85.

85D mostly because range, but I also wouldn't want to have to pay to fix the air suspension when it fails.
That's two that have commented on the range, am I missing something here? There's a 5 mile difference, it's 265 vs 270? That's literally what you guys are talking about? I don't mean that in sarcasm, I'm just kind of shocked that 5 miles is swinging the vote here?

You are Richmond where? Not sure if you ever plan to go where there is snow, but it is a requirement where I am, so I chose the AWD option. Having 2 motors is worth the extra 4K; that is mostly why the D has better range; only the front smaller motor pulls the car along on the highway at cruising speed; the rear is disabled until you need it. I have read the D handles a little better, but I don't know this from experience.

Reactions: croman
You are Richmond where? Not sure if you ever plan to go where there is snow, but it is a requirement where I am, so I chose the AWD option. Having 2 motors is worth the extra 4K; that is mostly why the D has better range; only the front smaller motor pulls the car along on the highway at cruising speed; the rear is disabled until you need it. I have read the D handles a little better, but I don't know this from experience.

We get snow maybe twice a year, and i'll work remote cause the city literally shuts down when it happens so snow really isnt a factor. I'm still so confused on this range thing. So I get how the D would be more efficient but at the end of the day one gets 265 miles on a "full tank" and one gets 27 on a "full tank" right? I'm kind of confused still? Does that pan out to be alot more when it's highway driving?

Sorry to interrupt but I have a question regarding the warranties.

My understanding (which may be incorrect)

- 2 year 100K starts the day of delivery
- 4 year 50K is the original warranty, e.g., whichever comes first, warranty expires

Am I wrong about the latter? Is this a brand new 4/50 warranty which starts when you take delivery?

@HankLloydRight

According to autotrader it's date of cpo purchase. Regardless of 2/100 or 4/50.

"Tesla's certified pre-owned warranty offers bumper-to-bumper coverage for 4 years or 50,000 miles from the certified pre-owned (CPO) purchase date for the brand's Model S sedan, along with the remainder of its original 8-year or unlimited-mileage powertrain warranty."

According to autotrader it's date of cpo purchase. Regardless of 2/100 or 4/50.

"Tesla's certified pre-owned warranty offers bumper-to-bumper coverage for 4 years or 50,000 miles from the certified pre-owned (CPO) purchase date for the brand's Model S sedan, along with the remainder of its original 8-year or unlimited-mileage powertrain warranty."
Then autotrader would be wrong. Last I heard Tesla decides the warranty policy. The Tesla used car listings are clear about which warranty applies. Used cars with 50K or more miles or older than 4 years regardless of mileage are covered by the 2/100K warranty. Less than 4 years old and under 50K are covered by the 4/50K warranty. The clock starts when delivery of the used car takes place. This applies to used vehicle purchased directly from Tesla. Used purchased from private party are covered only by the balance of the new car warranty unless the owner purchased the ESA from Tesla. Buy from ICE dealer only balance of new car warranty applies.

Subzero package is nice for the heated steering wheel, also you may want to stay away from the 21" wheels since they eat tires, are less efficient, and are more prone to failure from potholes... Not a deal breaker though since there seem to be a lot of people selling stock 19's. The D also may have the next gen seats which are a nice upgrade . I got a late 2015 90D last Nov loaded without air suspension, love it...

That's two that have commented on the range, am I missing something here? There's a 5 mile difference, it's 265 vs 270? That's literally what you guys are talking about? I don't mean that in sarcasm, I'm just kind of shocked that 5 miles is swinging the vote here?

It seems small, and it is, but these cars are far more influenced by outside factors than gas. So in the winter that small difference can be made bigger by the efficiency gains.

The P85 doesn't come with AP1? if not, that's a big one. I'm loving TACC on freeway in any level of traffic. it's just makes the drive so much more enjoyable. Makes it a completely different car to me. At the same time, 20k miles difference is also a big factor..

Depends on your view, but I saw the 21" wheels as a negative due to all the complaints I've read on here as to rim damage, less mileage expectation, much higher tire cost, etc. so I actually intentionally filtered for 19" only.

Oh lord if I start considering the 70d or 85 this just gets so much more complicated haha..

Having 2 motors is worth the extra 4K; that is mostly why the D has better range; only the front smaller motor pulls the car along on the highway at cruising speed; the rear is disabled until you need it. I have read the D handles a little better, but I don't know this from experience.

The Tesla used car listings are clear about which warranty applies. Used cars with 50K or more miles or older than 4 years regardless of mileage are covered by the 2/100K warranty. Less than 4 years old and under 50K are covered by the 4/50K warranty. The clock starts when delivery of the used car takes place. This applies to used vehicle purchased directly from Tesla. Used purchased from private party are covered only by the balance of the new car warranty unless the owner purchased the ESA from Tesla. Buy from ICE dealer only balance of new car warranty applies.

Somewhat in the same dilemma/agony. o_O

The information from the members though is extremely helpful, and I hadn't realized about the difference in warranty at over 50K miles, so that is hugely helpful.

So my dilemma is: A 2014 Model 85, or a newer 2015 or maybe 2016 Model 70? Based on an equal price, what would people favor?

Range is King and 85D is better range and less fun but similar numbers in terms of acceleration.

Also, probably a ridiculous question, but when it has two motors, can the car run on just one if the other one has problems? I've wondered that too about the dual chargers, if one goes bad can you just use the other one? That would be a strong benefit to cars optioned that way.

Also, probably a ridiculous question, but when it has two motors, can the car run on just one if the other one has problems? I've wondered that too about the dual chargers, if one goes bad can you just use the other one? That would be a strong benefit to cars optioned that way.

Yes it can supposedly but when I had that situation it kept failing diagnostics but it let me drive for a while with one drive unit (the rear) operating.

Highway torque sleep is the biggest range benefit. You can use the more efficient smaller front instead of the rear and front.