Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Better Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finally looking at pulling the trigger on a Model 3. Im looking at two different options and would love your opinion on which is the better choice. The first is a 2018 build with a 9xxxx VIN, in the discontinued Obsidian Black Metallic. This one has 17 miles on it so $330 is taken off the top, and I can get the paint cost removed. This makes the car $330 less than the second option which is a 2019 Black for standard pricing ($54,900). This car has a vin 20xxxx. Is the 2018 build with a nicer paint for $330 less than a 2019 worth it? Or get a 2019 built car? In the VIN decoder, the second car is confirmed to be a 2019 build according to it.
Attached are some photos of the 2018 car that they sent me from on site. Dont have any of the 2019. Wanted to see pics to check fit and finish before driving all the way over to look at it.View media item 119403View media item 119404View media item 119405View media item 119406View media item 119407View media item 119408

I'd wait as I'm thinking that within 6 months they will either have dropped the price or changed to the next generation of hardware to support Autonomous. I think 2 more quarters of financials should have made their future clearer.

In TN I'd rather have a lighter color than either for the impact on HVAC and thus range.

Last edited:
I'd take a 2019 build over 2018 build. But the value is in the eye of the beholder.

The paint means nothing to me but slight improvement in build is worth so much. Which is why I'm timing my buy in May to take advantage of the tax credit but maximize the latest build.

But if the paint is worth more to you than a slightly newer build. Obv take the 2018