Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 'Big 3' are moving in the wrong direction.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> They're (IBM) pretty much the only survivor [ggr]

They just gave up on the user/consumer: ThinkPad line sold to Lenovo, stopped work on OS2, PC abandoned to AAPL, MSFT, and the generic hardware manufacturers. Today totally 'business machine' oriented. Like if GM abandoned consumer cars/trucks in favor of busses, military and heavy equipment.
--

Last edited:
Seems to me the Mainframe business is what saved IBM. It was so entrenched at the large corporations, and so reliable, that Microsoft could not fully replace it.

Or Unix/Linux.

All this talk about Ford or GM dying is silly. Both of them have very active electrification programs. Both of them sell hybrids and plug-ins. Both of them are trying to figure out how to make money with it.

Besides, ICEs aren't going to disappear. They're complex, yes, but they do pretty well considering and keep getting better. They're also much cheaper than BEVs and they're more flexible than BEVs. Even if battery prices hit optimistic projections there would still be a lot of ICEs, both pure and plug-in hybrid.

[

I know the price per gallon is already near $10/gallon (inflation adjusted) in some markets, but I honestly think that's what it's going to take to see mass-market adoption of EVs in the U.S. Some people thought it would be $5, and we're nearly there. I think $8.95/gal is going to get a lot of people thinking long and hard about EVs. That, with wider availability of public charging stations and better batteries with longer range will tip the scales further in favor of EVs.

^^^
As for "$5, and we're nearly there", it depends on where. Just because CA has high gas prices doesn't mean everyone else does. http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/ says the current avg for regular is $3.61. If you look at the map, some have it much lower. As someone pointed out to me elsewhere, Pharr, TX Costco has it for $2.93/gal (see Rio Grande Valley Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Texas
).

Yes, $8/gal gas in the US will sure get more people interested in EVs and more efficient ICEVs. Not sure when we'll there. It'll take a long time by inflation alone. It could happen if they were to be some major supply disruption or panic.