Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Bug"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd call it a luxury sports sedan that trounces the likes of dedicated, impractical sports cars across the board. For perspective, dragtimes.com did a performance test on the older RWD 60 (max 60 output) using a vbox. The car rushed to 60 in 5.1 seconds (Tesla advertised it as 5.9 0-60) and breezed the quarter in 13.7 Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance. A whole .8 of a second faster than advertised puts no doubt in my mind the new 60D that actually carries the performance of a 75 battery which Tesla advertises as 5.2 0-60, will do the dash to 60mph in the mid to upper 4s and the quarter in the low 13s. Add to this the unique way the car utilizes torque and the complete elimination of having to "dump" gears as with a traditional gearbox, and well.. you got yourself a machine, man :cool:

Now, I got new reason to seek out a galleria, got to get my butt dyno on!

E-FTW, are you a Tesla sales rep!? Lol, no really, I just want to get the buyers remorse and be like ", man, I should have went for more power!" The range is really not the issue, just the get and go and by no means I am calling your car slow....hell, I'm here asking you guys for advice!

BTW...that video...O.M.G., sexy!!! If I do get a CPO, I would do the aftermarket front bumper.
Haha! LOL I guess we all are "reps" every time there is a referral program, and we are doing it for cheap too! But we do this 24/365. It is that "bug" you speak of. I am a car guy, and a geek. Car fits perfectly.

Now, I got new reason to seek out a galleria, got to get my butt dyno on!
Butt dyno definitely needed here. Hopefully they have one of those for you. I'd give you a ride in my 70 RWD, as it is the same power. The new 60 RWD, 70 RWD or 75RWD would be the same power.

Haha! LOL I guess we all are "reps" every time there is a referral program, and we are doing it for cheap too! But we do this 24/365. It is that "bug" you speak of. I am a car guy, and a geek. Car fits perfectly.

Butt dyno definitely needed here. Hopefully they have one of those for you. I'd give you a ride in my 70 RWD, as it is the same power. The new 60 RWD, 70 RWD or 75RWD would be the same power.

Is there a no difference in the AWD motors? I priced a 60 RWD with everything I wanted and it just a little out of price range (before the Tax credit). There a few must haves for me like I love the 21" wheel look, love to blast my radio so the premium sound, the auto pilot is one of the main things, and I love low profile cars so the air suspension. Might have to hold out on the 21" as I can purchase some later and the auto pilot is a unlockable feature that tesla has that may bring me within reason.

Is there a no difference in the AWD motors? I priced a 60 RWD with everything I wanted and it just a little out of price range (before the Tax credit). There a few must haves for me like I love the 21" wheel look, love to blast my radio so the premium sound, the auto pilot is one of the main things, and I love low profile cars so the air suspension. Might have to hold out on the 21" as I can purchase some later and the auto pilot is a unlockable feature that tesla has that may bring me within reason.
Faster car with the dual (AWD) motors and everything else it entails. Most all the stuff sans air suspension can be added later after you digest the initial plunge for the car. I definitely wouldn't pay Tesla 6 G's for a set of 21's with tires, especially seeing how abundantly you can get them later for much less. Myself, I'm taking the "free" 19s for all season use and diverting the $4,500 savings into other wheels.

I sure wish someone would make TSTs in 21s like they do the 20s only with wider staggered fitments than the factory's.

Reactions: Chief holley
Dunno if it is just me? but I love the spin-up sound of the electric motors under hard acceleration - sounds like a jet turbine to me. I reckon that's a much more exotic! noise than a bunch of pistons going suck, squeeze, bang, blow ... but it might be a bit subtle for a novice passenger to pick up. Makes me smile though.
+1
Sounds like the Enterprise and ward speed. Well, in my head it does...

No difference in equipment. You get more traction, a bit more speed and a handful of extra miles of range via stronger regen.
Looks like you've got a good plan in place: get a 60 RWD, get things you can't get from anyone else (like AP, Air Suspension), and defer wheels (definitely) and subwoofer (maybe?) to a third-party. The TST wheels look awesome, and they have 20-inch models which give you better tire selections than 21-inch.
FYI, if audio volume is where you are at, I have not gotten close to having audio volume at 11 yet (yes, it goes to 11) with the standard audio. But am no audio expert by a long shot. It lacks a sub, which some people seem to think is the main feature if the upgraded audio.

Just looked at the pricing: 60 RWD white with pano,air suspension, next gen black seats, premium upgrade package, and smart air puts me at 75,500. That's like 500 above my price point which I'm sure I could survive with. After the tax credit would $68,000, I could use the $7,500 in tax credit to do my autopilot, find a nice pair of wheels and install the subwoofer package in my car....very, VERY tempting! Or roll the dice on finding P85 with Autopilot software with smart air or 2015 85D. Those two I would be dependent on what I find for the amount I would have t mod. Decisions, decisions...Is the delivery calculator accurate or people luck out and get it earlier?

Last edited:
love to blast my radio so the premium sound

I don't have the premium sound, so can't comment, but I bought the standard sound expecting to fit an after-market (the standard is below my expectations, which were not high to start with! I think that's a wrong-turn for Tesla, but perhaps its borne out of a need to differentiate between Standard and Premium) - I wasn't at all sure that the one-flavour Premium sound on offer was the best bang-for-buck.

I don't have the premium sound, so can't comment, but I bought the standard sound expecting to fit an after-market (the standard is below my expectations, which were not high to start with! I think that's a wrong-turn for Tesla, but perhaps its borne out of a need to differentiate between Standard and Premium) - I wasn't at all sure that the one-flavour Premium sound on offer was the best bang-for-buck.

So in other words, you think the standard sound is garbage and I should spring for the premium? The 85D I have been seeing are pretty much loaded, I seen one on the tesla for sale site but the bad thing about it was it didn't have premium sound or air suspension, one and a possible deal breaker. This is the madness of the "bug", makes you spend lots of time looking and plotting on the next wheels!

So in other words, you think the standard sound is garbage and I should spring for the premium?

Yes to #1, but no to #2!

I suggest you consider an after market 3rd-party sound upgrade, and compare the price against Premium.

When i researched it, prior to purchase, it seemed that Premium would get me more wires built in, which might help with an after-market upgrade (but I wasn't about to pay for Premium and THEN replace THAT!); some of the audiofiles who were debating it (in this forum) said they didn't think that Premium was good enough / worth the money.

So I bought Standard and plan to fit an after market upgrade (and hope that that will give me more choice and better value)

Just tried Tesla Designer and "Ultra High Fidelity Sounds" showed up as a $ 2,500 option. So anything less than that and I will feel like I'm a saver! I don't know if this is good enough, but its only $ 1,200

While you drive the world’s best electric vehicle, you should be listening to the world’s best stereo.

Just looked at the pricing: 60 RWD white with pano,air suspension, next gen black seats, premium upgrade package, and smart air puts me at 75,500. That's like 500 above my price point which I'm sure I could survive with. After the tax credit would $68,000, I could use the $7,500 in tax credit to do my autopilot, find a nice pair of wheels and install the subwoofer package in my car....very, VERY tempting! Or roll the dice on finding P85 with Autopilot software with smart air or 2015 85D. Those two I would be dependent on what I find for the amount I would have t mod. Decisions, decisions...Is the delivery calculator accurate or people luck out and get it earlier?
I you can find a CPO with the options mix you want, fantastic! If not, well, you get to build your S the way you want it. And enhance either after delivery. No bad deal there!