Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The collection experience and advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With many of us mere days or weeks away from collecting our shiny new M3s, I was wondering if anyone who had already been this process recently may be able to share their experiences and any advice.

I've read all the horror stories about panel gaps, paint jobs that just weren't finished, and cameras not working, but I'm concerned I may not be as eagle-eyed as others.

So what did a low-touch delivery process look like for you? Do you have a checklist of things you'd suggest we check? Or do you have any other advice?

I appreciate things will differ between service centres across the country, and Thorpe Park is a new one altogether, but I guess there should be some consistency across the board.

Personally, I just walked around and had a look if anything looked odd or not.

I tested all the tech within the first 100 miles too.

I had a number of panel gaps, door being the worst. I can live with the test. A small paint blemish that my partner noticed (I wouldn't have ever spotted this).

Biggest issue was the trim. Not properly fitted in areas.

However, all of these were small things and I dropped it off earlier in the week to get fixed. Hopefully will pick it up next week and all will be fine.

Note after studying things like panel gaps before picking it up, I actually notice it in a lot of brands / other cars when I drive. Tesla are not the only one.

All in all - very happy. Tesla SC staff have been great reading and assessing my long list of things I put (just being picky) and they talked me through each one before I dropped it off.

Excited to pick it back up next week.

I used the above check lists. One thing I would add is don't be in a hurry, be methodical and take a mirror/plastic ruler so you can look under the car and take photos with the ruler of any slightly iffy panel gaps.

The temptation will be strong to just glance around and zoom off, but make sure you are thorough and point out/photo everything.

Also my collection day took longer than I thought as they had to wait for Holland to verify the paperwork also(I picked up from drayton) so make sure you allow lots of time.

Most of all. Have fun, It will be worth it.

When I picked mine up in Sept, during lockdown 1.0 the process was very straight forward.

Turned up slightly earlier than my appointment and was seen by one of the reps. I was given my keycard to "inspect" and to familiarise myself to the car. I didn't actually use the guides at the time, but after months of waiting, I had a general idea of what to look out for. Weirdly matching number plates being one of them! Once I was happy and ready to leave, I had to let one of the reps know, so they can "release" the car and allow the app to work. Made sure I had enough charge to reach home.

I used the 7-day window to go over the car in my own time (whilst it was getting tinted and the garage had the lights). Any defects I/ they/ my wife found I added to the app and the service centre repaired. Fortunately not many in my case, compared to some of the horror stories others have gone through.

The '70 plate crew' used this thread, which might be worth a read,. Most of us during the first lockdown shared our experience/ general gist of what to expect for others.

Pretty exciting stuff tbh and a whole new way of life, if like me you've never owned an EV before.

Hope this helps someone :)