Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The cost of a 'free' test drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Destination charge .................$1,200
2) Non-refundable deposit...........$2,500
3) License Plates (MI)....................$340 (might be transferal to new car)
4) State Sales Tax (MI)................$3,000
5) Insurance (1 month, approx)......$250 (estimated)
6) Interest on car loan (2 months)... 900 (estimated, assuming no early payoff penalty)

• Disagree
Reactions: commasign
This is exactly why I think Tesla is going to have to come up with some kind of test drive system once the existing Tesla enthusiasts have their cars. Telling people they can just drop $150 to drive an older car doesn't seem like a very customer friendly alternative.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla sales go this year as test drives and sales centers go away.

I predict that if Tesla closed their showrooms, they will expand the number and size of their service centers at the same time.

If there is demand for test drives, it could easily be provided at those service centers.

When I wanted to order my X, I was not sure what color I wanted, without seeing one in person. I swung by a local service center and could see all the different colors, parked in their lot.

With Tesla out about 7,000 cars a week, giving everybody test rides is a tremendous expense. They plan to double their production over the next year or so, and the cost of facilities and personnel would be tremendous.

I noticed that many people, when given the choice of either getting a test drive or getting a lower price, most will choose the lower price.

Most of the largest USA dealerships sell more of their vehicles via the internet, and without test rides currently. Believe this trend will grow as people value price over service.

No test rides are ever free...somebody needs to pay for them.

My local showroom is really just a small section of the service center. I wonder if they plan on closing those showrooms too? Apparently the closures have been halted temporarily, but maybe that's just to get people to quit without severance.

I question how smart it is to close these little showrooms attached to service centers. The land has to be leased anyways, is the cost of 1-2 people to run the showroom really more than the benefit they provide? Currently they have much more than 1-2 people employed, but they could drop it down to just that.

I had no intention of buying a Tesla. I stopped by a show room while out driving other cars. After the test drive I cancelled my other test drives and started the process of ordering a Tesla.

Electric cars are so different than ICE vehicles you need that test drive in order to get it. I like that they're disrupting the traditional (awful) vehicle sales model, and that they are trying to save costs. These are both good things. But they are going to need to figure out a way to let people test drive the cars.

But will they keep any pre-sales staff? Will you be able to go test drive?

Why would you need a sales staff? Anybody can take a copy of your driver license and have you sign the form that you took the car. Or Tesla could make you upload a picture of your driver license when you register for a test drive.

The best test drives for me are the ones where the sales person does not bother me.

I agree though there needs to be a simple mechanism to test the car.

Why would you need a sales staff? Anybody can take a copy of your driver license and have you sign the form that you took the car. Or Tesla could make you upload a picture of your driver license when you register for a test drive.

The best test drives for me are the ones where the sales person does not bother me.

I agree though there needs to be a simple mechanism to test the car.

Yep. Not uncommon. When I lived in Michigan, local Honda dealership let me test drive whatever I wanted on my own. They just need a copy of my ID.