Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The downside to silence--we need another horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I've lost count of the times I've driven through a congested pedestrian area and felt the need to alert people on foot that there's a vehicle nearby. In one case, a family with little kids off-leash was walking down a road to a local street fair on the next block. I'm sure if they had heard me coming they would have corralled their kids and stepped to one side, but my MX was not making a sound as it crept along at 2 MPH or less.

I would love to have a quieter alternative to the Model X's horn. My dad used to have a car with a "Bermuda Bell" that would be used for just such occasions. It's more likely to make friends instead of frightening the parents and making them angry.

I was kinda blown away when I read the subject of this thread, but I see your point in a scenario like that. I believe some other posters in some other threads have indicated they crank up the radio in situations like this. Technically, you could get a sound you want in MP3 format, put it on a memory stick, and use the radio as your horn of choice with the windows down.

While I'm not a big fan of *requiring* EVs to make "fake vehicle noises" for pedestrian safety, having the ability to turn on some sort of exterior sound in situations like this would be nice (so long as we could turn it right back off again when no peds were present). While rolling down your window and cranking your stereo would be effective, it seems less likely to be employed than something that could be accomplished by something like touching a speaker icon (perhaps next to the sentry mode icon). Of course, having the ability to choose one's own track for that noise would be fun and in the spirit of the Tesla ownership experience.

Reactions: mxnym and dogldogl