TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The greening of America

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vfx, Feb 14, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This story about Virgina banning smoking shows a turning of public opinion.

2. graham

graham Active Member

Whoa... I have lived in California for 2 decades -- long enough that it is always a culture shock when I return to visit Virginia and run into the "smoking sections" of restaurants. I didn't think that would ever change there. Might make visiting my parents easier in the future.

3. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

I'm not sure it marks a change in public opinion. It may just mark a change in political perception.

After all, we passed and ratified the eighteenth amendment with a minority of the elegible voters.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You are right Bob, Most advances need to be legislated before the public accepts it.

I'll call it forced public acceptance.