Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The LA Sales & Service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
latteslaext.jpg

Last edited:
The way I see it this is a very new company and they need to be proving themselves every day. I need to make my decision about my wait list status in the next couple on weeks. I had hoped this trip would seal the deal. No one even approached me to have the opportunity for this to happen

At some point the folks at Tesla will start understanding that at the end of the day they are in the "people business through cars".

At some point the folks at Tesla will start understanding that at the end of the day they are in the "people business through cars".

The risk to many startup car companies at their state of development is they begin to think they are in "the stock speculation business through cars." I hope the label does not fit Tesla.

I stumbled across this set of photos on flickr that had some interesting shots you don't normally see of the LA store.
Tesla Motors - a set on Flickr

I particularly like this stitched panorama of the service bay:
2645262488_074cb07b2c.jpg

Click here to see it in all it's glory.

I have a full QTVR setup, I was going to get permission from LA store to do some QTVR panos.

[ another ghost from Martin & myselfs past from UIUC: Ken T. (Class of '77, MSEE Berkeley) led the QTVR group @Apple, who is now at Google working on Google Maps. You might have seen the new VR capability of GM. Another acquaintance of mine (former chief scientist @Disney Animation) has also moved to Google to work on GM ]

I was going to wait until Martin gets his Roadster, then head on over to his place to do some QTVR panos. And, get some videos. Video technology is "heating up":

Mogulus » teslamotors

"Agile, Mobile, Hostile"
-- football term ("linebacker")

Mobile media devices (cellphone, PDA, et al) are empowering citizens to broadcast video: "citizen journalism". The whole idea of EV + home-based solar power (see Martin's post about solarizing his house), is along the similar philosophy: "citizen auto-mobility". You can be totally independent of the "machine" (Broadcast networks, Gas station networks, etc). Power to the People, so to say.

There's a cool Network idea lurking in my head, & it involves cross-disciplinary "packet switching". Hint: Judy Estrin (recently removed from Tesla Motors board, ala Martin) & some of my Caltech alumni friends (currently Intel researchers, whose advisor was Judy's father). That other ghost from Martin's past (Dr. A. Chien, who interned at UIUC/CSL the same summer Martin did) is now Director of Research & VP Corporate Technology @Intel. Inference Computing, it's related to Networks. Gordon Moore (Intel founder) is a major philanthropist to Caltech.

Last edited:
FedEx

FedEx is definitely in the auto transport business. We looked at using them when we bought our RAV4-EV from the owner in the Berkeley area. They are high-end, enclosing the vehicles instead of putting them on an open carrier. We opted for a cheaper carrier since the RAV4-EV was more "well used" than pristine. (It's in a the body shop now, getting converted back to pristine.)

FedEx also has a freight business, and donates shipping to the FIRST robotics competition, moving 1500 irreplaceable handmade robots in 400-lb crates all over the country.

If you have something big, heavy and very valuable, FedEx is a good choice.