Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 Is The Most Boring When It Comes To S3x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
And Model 3 owners are the most fortunate for that. There’s no bad time to get a Model 3.

Still the same old thing since July 2017 pretty much.

No significant changes since the first 40 produced.

Significant changes to me are changes that would affect resale value or have diminished technology capabilities.

Since a 2017 FSD buyer can get HW3 installed today, they will be able to enjoy their car for 3 years and did not miss any technology.

EAP was working well from day one as well. Double edged sword for me getting AP2 in Dec 2016.

NO TACC
Autosteer limited to 25MPH to start with months later.
If I leased and choose FSD I would have lost 100% of that investment.

Now what have S and X owners seen over 3 years?

AP1 to AP2
HW2 to HW2.5
Performance Uncork
Raven Refresh

I dumbly wasted half an hour of my time figuring out why I couldn’t get dash cam going on the Model X. It was a 2016 HW2. It has sentry so why????? Oh HW 2.0 FML

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/what-exactly-does-sentry-mode-do-on-my-hw-2-0-model-x

That type of functionality fork has not happened to any 3 hours now and I can’t foresee it happening in 2 years which is an eternity in Tesla years.

I get a cool little red circle but I am convinced sentry mode does nothing in the event something happens to the car.

Yeah.. boring is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
Agreed. Owning an S or X can be a rollercoaster ride. Every time there’s a minor refresh, it’s like “what did I miss out on this time”. I’m actually glad I’m stuck on pinnacle AP1 S and X cars. Expect nothing and you won’t be disappointed.

Stability is good for Model 3 resale values too.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
There have always been changes. But it's a cheaper car so not as dramatic. When I was shopping, I refused to get a car with the Gen1 seats, there's some lost value. Also the shocks were worse initially, along with the rear bench seat. Now I have AP2.5 computer (I didn't buy FSD) so there will be people that won't want my car because it's not AP3.

There have always been changes. But it's a cheaper car so not as dramatic. When I was shopping, I refused to get a car with the Gen1 seats, there's some lost value. Also the shocks were worse initially, along with the rear bench seat. Now I have AP2.5 computer (I didn't buy FSD) so there will be people that won't want my car because it's not AP3.

How did you get the 2.5 comp?

It's upgradable to HW3 which is what counts the most.

Also remember that no HW3 car has EAP. Only AP. And AP is extremely dumb and limited compared to what EAP is.

If you really think about it, people should take EAP/HW 2.5 over a HW3 car with AP.

Anyone on the FSD track make the HW 2.5 or HW 3 choice irrelevant.

How did you get the 2.5 comp?

All Model 3s from the first ones made in July 2017 have HW 2.5.

Well, luckily Tesla packed as much as they could into the Model 3. Take V3 supercharging for example. Tesla knew they were going to do it, and prepared ahead of time by designing every single model 3 with the capability. Capability for Model S and X only came like a month after the launch, and even then it's not full speed.

I've had a Model S85D as a Loaner car while my car has been in the shop and I miss my 3 every second I get... I've never been a fan of the S and having one for the past few weeks has made me want my 3 back more than ever.

Now the X, that's a different story. I'd give up my 3P for an X in a minute.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
My car has gotten significantly better since when I bought it. My car went from 10+ interactions per commute to now going on ramp to off ramp with no input nearly 100% of the time. That mixed with a bunch of other features. I only have EAP, but I am pretty happy with it's improvement. I liked the car how it was delivered, its even better now!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Alcantra headliner, Gen 2 seats, trunk trim, dual motor/performance, tow bar, red IR reflection rear glass (since returned) and I'm sure a myriad of other little things.

But yes, not much to change any major functions of the vehicle.

On the other hand early adopters got lifetime premium connectivity, installed homelink and a red model car!

Alcantra headliner, Gen 2 seats, trunk trim, dual motor/performance, tow bar, red IR reflection rear glass (since returned) and I'm sure a myriad of other little things.

But yes, not much to change any major functions of the vehicle.

On the other hand early adopters got lifetime premium connectivity, installed homelink and a red model car!
I was a day one order and an August Dual Motor Delivery (one of the first), I did not get my red model car.