Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The National Park/Rural Routes charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're saying that the NPS does not permit EVs to drive on sand? To me a vehicle having "clearance" is a mechanical elevation problem, not a rules problem :D
What they were saying is that that's a barrier to making their fleet electric. "Available EVs don't have the clearance to do the job we need for our fleet." whether it's true or not. I agree with you, and my model y is lifted.

What they seem to be doing when they talk about EVs is going on tangents which may or may not be barriers, rather than focusing on what can be done and moving forward.

We were in our Prius, so not an issue, but I checked out charging options when we went to Yellowstone this summer in anticipation of getting our MY soon. There is a LOT of driving in Yellowstone and the only chargers are a SuperCharger outside the West entrance and some at one or two of the hotels. I think it would be a challenge, or at least an inconvenience, to visit YS in an EV.

Did the infrastructure bill or the inflation reduction act include money for chargers in NPs?
No idea about the question on the infrastructure bill, but my wife and I drove our Model Y to Yellowstone last year in Septermber and stayed at the Lake hotel. We used the J1772s at the employee dorms and it worked just fine. Driving speeds in the park are slow so you get pretty good range if the temps aren't cold (which they usually aren't when the park is open). If you're staying in W Yellowstone a SC session there is ample for the day or even 2. If you are in the park and not staying at the Lake hotel or at Canyon village or Mammoth area then it could be an issue.

Reactions: KJD and DrGriz
What they were saying is that that's a barrier to making their fleet electric. "Available EVs don't have the clearance to do the job we need for our fleet." whether it's true or not. I agree with you, and my model y is lifted.

What they seem to be doing when they talk about EVs is going on tangents which may or may not be barriers, rather than focusing on what can be done and moving forward.

Well in that regard then I'd say they're probably not wrong. The vehicles they likely use currently have far more overlanding capacity than even the most robust EV on the market at the time that was written. Since then the Rivian R1T and R1S have become available. And Jeep has made a hybrid version of the Wrangler with a usable full EV range (hopefully expanded in the next couple years). I don't know about the Ford F150, Chevy whatever, and Hummer EV monstrosity, actually have for off-roading capability.

Well in that regard then I'd say they're probably not wrong. The vehicles they likely use currently have far more overlanding capacity than even the most robust EV on the market at the time that was written. Since then the Rivian R1T and R1S have become available. And Jeep has made a hybrid version of the Wrangler with a usable full EV range (hopefully expanded in the next couple years). I don't know about the Ford F150, Chevy whatever, and Hummer EV monstrosity, actually have for off-roading capability.
Exactly. Except all of those cars are unaffordable compared to their ICE brethren.

One of the sites had some reader comments, and a person who claimed that they were a former NPS employee with years of experience felt that from what they knew, at least 50% of the fleet could be replaced with EVs.

Sure, some of the vehicles in the fleet might not be easily replaced by EVs with current options (and this has changed for the better since the web sites were updated).

My point is, the focus in their public facing sites seems to be the barriers to conversion, not the obvious opportunities. That's a leadership issue.

Reactions: LoudMusic