Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The OEM aftermarket Wheel Cap Kit thingy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
The covers aren't too bad really, but the underlying wheels are really quite attractive.. I thought about going naked, but then I'd have to buy the Wheel Cap Kit

No big deal, it's only (another) fifty bucks, but I wondered ... once you put the center thing in (or for that matter any of the lugnut covers), how easy is it to get them off? Do you have to dismount the wheel?

On a similar note, does anyone know how much (range) difference it makes with/without the wheel covers?

Laminar-Black-Set-of-4-Wheel-Covers-Rimetrix.png

I just purchased the Gemini wheel cap kit from Tesla. I haven’t installed them yet, but I do see they include a tool to remove the lug nut caps. I’ll report back on the ease of installation, but at first glance it looks like it will be an easy job. In my view, the slight loss in range is worth the more attractive wheels. Plus, most of the loss of efficiency will be at high speeds, and most of my miles are on city streets. YMMV 😁

The covers aren't too bad really, but the underlying wheels are really quite attractive.. I thought about going naked, but then I'd have to buy the Wheel Cap Kit

No big deal, it's only (another) fifty bucks, but I wondered ... once you put the center thing in (or for that matter any of the lugnut covers), how easy is it to get them off? Do you have to dismount the wheel?

On a similar note, does anyone know how much (range) difference it makes with/without the wheel covers?
I just installed the OEM wheel cap kit. It could not be easier. The covers just pull off. I had to work my way around each cover because there are a lot of clips, though it doesn’t take that much effort to pull them off. From there, the center cap and lug nut covers just need to be pushed in place. In all, it took about 2 minutes per wheel. And it is a huge improvement in the wheel appearance. I’m surprised I don’t see more of these on the road.

Reactions: mapdoc