TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The "Perfect" 2020 Model X (for me)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tps5352, Dec 31, 2019.

1. tps5352

tps5352 Supporting Member

#1 tps5352, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Just day-dreaming--my preliminary ideas for an arguably better Model X (for me):
    1. Preferred Seating Options (in order of preference)
      • Best: two-seater (just 2 front seats with large, flat, cushioned cargo area)
      • Better: four-seater (w/2 removable rear seats)
      • Good: five-seater (w/3 removable rear seats)
    2. A No Falcon-Wing Doors Option
      • Two "suicide" rear doors (best), or
      • Two standard rear doors (better)
    3. Less Front Windshield Extension onto the Roof Option (if FWDs went away)

4. With Implementation of Numbers 2 & 3
      • Moon-Roof Option, and/or
      • Roof-Rack Option
    5. Apple CarPlay Option

6. Factory Power Opening/Closing Frunk Hood Option
    Your ideas? Comments? Additional preferred options? Directions to other applicable discussions?

Are any of these possibilities, do you think?

Happy New Year.

2. Vitaman

Vitaman Supporting Member

Numbers 2,5, and 6 rock!
    Sign me up!
    Not sure Number 1 will get much traction.....

3. Need

Need Active Member

Only need to seat 2, more room in the back and on the roof.. I think OP you really want a Tesla Utility Work Van! :D

4. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I would like middle 2 seats (6 seater) same as front 2 seats. I like fwd, makes it easy for us older , less limber people to get in and out of vehicle. Also, all 4 tires the same so you can rotate.

5. tps5352

tps5352 Supporting Member

Interesting. The OP by me is kinda whimsical. (Something fun to think about over the holidays.) But I figure that the M-X is the M-X; not gong to change for me. Maybe I want the M-Y and don't know it yet? But I do want the larger size, automatic opening and closing driver's door features, free super-charging, and greater visibility. Actually, I love the M-S; so beautiful. But it is way easier for me to get in and out of the M-X. Common refrain for some aging Boomers, I imagine. (And I'm 6' 5".)

I left out serious issues like claimed (by some) rough ride (would like that improved, if necessary), battery size and efficiency (is bigger always better?), and increased range (wouldn't it be great to get 400-500 miles?). But these (at least some of them) are features I figure may possibly improve with time (later in 2020?).

Ha, ha! No pun intended, I'm sure.

Ha, ha. Right! You got me. I used to have a 1981 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. I really liked it, but of course it made NO sense (for me) whatsoever. (A money pit. Only 14 mpg around town. Drenched in annoying factory-add-on pollution control parts, so work in the engine compartment was difficult. No A/C [bad in the Central Valley of California in the summer]. No P/S [until I added factory P/S myself].) (Fine for someone living in the Australian Outback, maybe.) And a friend had a Honda Element. I thought that was an interesting and useful car with its suicide rear doors and fold-down rear seats to provide a generous storage area.

So yes, perhaps I want a Tesla Land Rover? (I think that is called a "Bollinger.")

Right--I forgot that the front and rear tires differ. So that, too.

As to the FWD, I just figure I, personally, won't have much need to use the rear doors. Maybe a no rear doors option--so a Tesla (UPS- or USPS-like) panel truck, like "Need" was hinting at. Ha, ha.

Seriously, we've seen rumors pf major make-overs for the (aging) M-S and M-X. Could that happen in 2020-21? Purchase timing may be critical for me. I want/need to buy around May 2020 (returning a leased Honda Clarity fuel cell car), but maybe I should try to delay?...

Thanks for your responses.

6. Need

Need Active Member

A Cybertruck with a camper option!

7. mjptech

mjptech Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV

You can actually do that now without a need for Tesla.. just get a second set of fronts and install them in the rear... A number of forum members have done that. Don't remember if there's a limitation on if it works with the 20s or 22s... But, it has been done.