Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners ... let me know ... please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking for a model X for two years now. Driven the OG, Raven and the refresh. I'm a nut for handling. The current iteration seems to drive smaller (tighter & with a more cohesive feel). The 23 is noticeably quieter too. Will order a six seater. Could care less about 0 to 60. Care a lot about handling (yeah, I know but we need the space).

Do our Plaid owners on this board have any thoughts on the torque vectoring? Does this improve the vehicle dynamics in day to day use, or is this something that does not come into play unless stability control is off?

What is the latest rumor on Track Mode for the X? (Elon mentioned it in Q3 like a "yeah sure" but ....) Any thoughts on front half shaft improvements or rear suspension geometry. Thinking I will order the 20 inch wheels.

Thank you.

X is one of the better handling SUVs. It has adaptive shocks and you can lower the air suspension as well.

Little lean in the corners, as the heavy battery is mounted low in the frame.

While not as nimble as a sports car, they are fun to drive and handle high speeed sweepers amazingly well.

Ceramic brakes are available if you are outdriving the standard brakes, however regenerative braking seems to settle the car nicely in Grand Touring type driving.

Due to electric drive, you do not need to hammer the X like you would do with a gasser. Lots of easy torque allows you to smoothly, but rapidly accelerate out of the corners.

Taking an X to the track is taking it out of it's element. The elephant can dance, but not with grace.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have to say despite being heavier the Model X Plaid handles a hell of a lot better than my Model Y Performance ever did. I always thought I was gonna tip over in the MYP when going over 40 when getting on a freeway. The Model X just leans into it especially if you're on the pedal. Tires will also make a big difference. But there's nothing special about the Plaid vs the LR if you're looking for handling over speed.

If handling is truly the priority you need to look at non Tesla options. None of the Tesla’s have great handling and the Plaid models are horrible under braked.
Seems a silly comment. He is asking about torque vectoring on choosing a Model X. If there is a better 6 seater EV for handling then at least note it.
Anyhow I'll continue the trend of not actually responding to the direct question of torque vectoring on a MXP. However, I'll note I have torque vectoring on an Audi S4.
I LOVE IT.
You can rotate the car into the turn by applying throttle without changing the position of the steering wheel. It can take a bit to get use to. But it's one of those little things that make driving a high performance car more engaging.
I have no idea of the MXP torque vectoring though. Gut guess is it is more subtle. But will report back as soon as my MXP gets delivered ;).

No idea about torque vectoring but I have an MYLR with MPP Coilovers and Sway Bars and at first I thought that handled way better than my 23' MXP. My MXP just felt like this light tank that was heavy on turns. Then I found the setting where I just put handling to SPORT and left the ride on standard. Now my MXP feels so much better, exactly the way I wanted this car to be.