Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Real Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had to replace calipers that were corroded from salt exposure, but for normal cars, that's just an easy buy from your OEM or aftermarket source. Our Prius is at 225 K, and is still on its original pads and shoes. Our Volt is at 130 K and the pads do not appear to have worn at all. As Teslas continue to flood our streets in exponentially-growing numbers, there will be more and more wonderful aftermarket service and parts. Tesla itself is benefiting from economies of scale -- for which we all rejoice! On the issue of quality, it's very easy for the good folks at Consumer Reports (which I dearly love) to get myopic about EVs. These are not JUST cars, like other driving machines. Choosing to drive electric means reducing our dependence on foreign oil, which is saving lives right now. EVs are saving lives because they are significantly safer to operate, and their reduced emissions, and fueling toxicity mean cleaner air and water for all humans on this planet -- even those that hate EVs. They make the our world a quieter place, which is a genuine improvement for drivers and public alike. I could go on and on about climate change, and dozens of other advantages -- and THAT is what I call high quality! A Tesla may get dinged by a reviewer for paint, panel gaps, or plastic, but these cars are saving us from ourselves -- and that is the most important quality that any car can offer.

I've had to replace calipers that were corroded from salt exposure, but for normal cars, that's just an easy buy from your OEM or aftermarket source. Our Prius is at 225 K, and is still on its original pads and shoes. Our Volt is at 130 K and the pads do not appear to have worn at all. As Teslas continue to flood our streets in exponentially-growing numbers, there will be more and more wonderful aftermarket service and parts. Tesla itself is benefiting from economies of scale -- for which we all rejoice! On the issue of quality, it's very easy for the good folks at Consumer Reports (which I dearly love) to get myopic about EVs. These are not JUST cars, like other driving machines. Choosing to drive electric means reducing our dependence on foreign oil, which is saving lives right now. EVs are saving lives because they are significantly safer to operate, and their reduced emissions, and fueling toxicity mean cleaner air and water for all humans on this planet -- even those that hate EVs. They make the our world a quieter place, which is a genuine improvement for drivers and public alike. I could go on and on about climate change, and dozens of other advantages -- and THAT is what I call high quality! A Tesla may get dinged by a reviewer for paint, panel gaps, or plastic, but these cars are saving us from ourselves -- and that is the most important quality that any car can offer.

This is a totally different discussion. You basically saying that the quality of the car is less important than environmental benefits. I and many others will totally disagree with you.

You may be right. Yet I do think that the "quality" of an object is not just in its fit and finish. In evaluating the quality of an object, such as a tool, utensil or even art, it seems that we should take into account how well it's designed, and what value does it give me? How does this thing make my life better? An ugly, rusty old knife in a survival situation is a high-quality object that just might save my life. Excellence in design, access to the massive EVSE charging infrastructure, and industry-leading performance honestly override paint and fit-and finish concerns. But I do agree with you (I really do) that I expect our car to look great, be well-constructed, and have well-fitting body panels too. Please forgive me for philosophizing about the idea of a "high-quality" car. It just gets my goat that the car writers at Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, and Road and Track, just can't understand the overwhelming intrinsic qualities of EVs. That's my problem, not theirs.

Yes. Getting brakes done at the dealer on my gasser was <<$1000. Brakes are labor intensive, but relatively easy if you have a friend to help push the brake pedal.

I've driven 500k+ miles in multiple cars and changed pads regularly, rotors occasionally, and never calipers. I think it's going to be a long time before I need to service the brakes on my Y due to regen doing 99.9% of the work. I saw a recent video with TeslaBjorn getting special aftermarket pads for his M3 since the brakes get so little use that they deteriorate from underuse. I'll be putting those on when I need them.

(I didn't take the obvious click-bait)

Brake system is just about the same in all cars. Even in a Tesla because it is one of few components that still remain mechanical. I just swapped out rotors and pads on my P car. Dealer wanted $1500 per axle incl labor. Bought all the genuine parts needed, did the work myself and saved $2000 doing all 4 corners. I plan to do the same with my Y when the time comes.