Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wise to order now with changes on the immediate horizon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of note:
In the Australian market they received Quick Silver paint and these same Black wheels a few months back for the Y but not the interior changes (no ambient lights, no change to dash materials, etc...)
Those remain solely in China.
Based on that I would guess the US is following the Australian plan not the Chinese one.

Of course I have no clue what will actually happen.

Why September and not June?
My opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is that the low interest promo is doing well enough for them that they won't have to do much else at end of June.

I would have preferred the upfront discount and paid cash, but I financed just due to the promo. I will pay off before long (can't stand a car note) but went ahead. I'm also trying to thread the needle and be ready to cancel thos order before delivery and start over in June should I be wrong.

The true best time will LIKELY be in the second half and end of year, but I wasn't going to wait that long.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I waited a long for the 4680 structural battery and full gigacast and waited and waited and it never arrived and i just bought the current car.

and im totally satisfied.

over your car (and mine) the change in mcu/chip should make the interface snappier. the other changes, including jupiter…for me is still 95% the same vehicle essence and i dont care much for rgb lighting.
You dodged a bullet by not getting the 4680 Standard Range MY. The Gen 1 4680 batteries were garbage with their poor charging curve which is why they stopped production of it and started producing the Standard range MY with the 2170 cells so that Tesla can halt Gen 1 4680 battery production and focus on the Gen 2 "Cyber Cells" 4680 batteries are much better.

The Gen 1 4680 batteries were garbage with their poor charging curve which is why they stopped production of it and started producing the Standard range MY with the 2170 cells so that Tesla can halt Gen 1 4680 battery production and focus on the Gen 2 "Cyber Cells" 4680 batteries are much better.
This appears to be highly speculative and not based on any concrete info but is being presented as fact.

He is correct about the slow charging curve for the 4680 cells that came in that version of the Model Y. It's the worst. I would agree it's highly likely Tesla are no longer producing those cells and have better versions now which are going to the Cybertruck.
The claim in question is that the slow charging is the REASON Tesla stopped making the Y AWD. From everything I can see, that remains purely speculative.

Reactions: E90alex
The claim in question is that the slow charging is the REASON Tesla stopped making the Y AWD. From everything I can see, that remains purely speculative.

Yes, but I think it's likely one of the reasons. They were first-gen 4680's and Tesla was bound to improve them. Tesla's changing things all the time. I have the 2021 MY SR and that was only for sale for about a month before it was removed from the website - although you could still order it if you asked a sales advisor...