Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Tax: crazy PPF quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the weekend, so thought I’d vent a little. In anticipation of getting the MYP soonish, I’ve been reaching out to both well-reviewed local detailers and places that have been referred to me. So far, of the 5 places I’ve reached out:
- 1 didn’t bother to respond as soon as they found out I don’t have the car on hand.
- 3 have provided outrageous quotes. Like insane. Here’s a snippet: “$12,500 For Stealth on the Model Y”. And that’s just PPF. Ceramic is extra. Tinting is extra.
- 1 has been moderately good, but uses pre-cut PPF (XPel) with modified edges.

Funny story: I was frustrated and submitted a quote request under my wife’s name with a different email address to the most expensive shop for our ICE vehicle (GLE450), which is a bigger car, for the same services as the MYP. Quote can back at $8k for everything. Still too expensive IMO, but basically half the quote for the MYP. Capitalism at its finest!

And yes, all first world problems! Side note: no VIN yet!

It’s the weekend, so thought I’d vent a little. In anticipation of getting the MYP soonish, I’ve been reaching out to both well-reviewed local detailers and places that have been referred to me. So far, of the 5 places I’ve reached out:
- 1 didn’t bother to respond as soon as they found out I don’t have the car on hand.
- 3 have provided outrageous quotes. Like insane. Here’s a snippet: “$12,500 For Stealth on the Model Y”. And that’s just PPF. Ceramic is extra. Tinting is extra.
- 1 has been moderately good, but uses pre-cut PPF (XPel) with modified edges.

Funny story: I was frustrated and submitted a quote request under my wife’s name with a different email address to the most expensive shop for our ICE vehicle (GLE450), which is a bigger car, for the same services as the MYP. Quote can back at $8k for everything. Still too expensive IMO, but basically half the quote for the MYP. Capitalism at its finest!

And yes, all first world problems! Side note: no VIN yet!
Totally sucks. The GLE450 starts off more expensive too. Whenever anyone thinks Tesla they already assume Rich. I would be bold and ask why a car with less complex curves is being quoted higher.

Reactions: dfiz1
It's not just Tesla. I was quoted $4500 for just doing the full frontal package on my P-car. It's the new gold rush in the aftermarket accessories for PPF installers. It's really not the cost of the material (although a lot of it goes to waste) but the labor and proper tools warrant a premium. The mfrs only make the "rolls" available to authorized dealers who are trained with their product, which is also why you can't buy the commercial size roll of PPF for yourself. It's what Llumar/3M/Madico did with their commercial size roll tint films back in the day, not sure if they still do.

It's not just Tesla. I was quoted $4500 for just doing the full frontal package on my P-car. It's the new gold rush in the aftermarket accessories for PPF installers. It's really not the cost of the material (although a lot of it goes to waste) but the labor and proper tools warrant a premium. The mfrs only make the "rolls" available to authorized dealers who are trained with their product, which is also why you can't buy the commercial size roll of PPF for yourself. It's what Llumar/3M/Madico did with their commercial size roll tint films back in the day, not sure if they still do.
The precuts sell for 700 for the full front. Labor is where they capture major profit. Even if u replace the ppf once doing it yourself saves money. Just need patience and the tools.

The precuts sell for 700 for the full front. Labor is where they capture major profit. Even if u replace the ppf once doing it yourself saves money. Just need patience and the tools.
Totally with ya on the DIY PPF kits. But here's where I am at with this. If something happens and I get a scrape on the bumper or any panel gets damaged that's PPF'd I am going to come out of pocket twice for replacing the PPF on that panel because the insurance company will NOT cover it. I know this for a fact because I've a buddy of mine who paid $7800 for this PPF who got into an accident where the insurance company would not give him a dime to replace the film. The insurance companies only replace ORIGINAL FACTORY/DEALER INSTALLED equipment.

Cars and all of its components are wear-and-tear in my mind. I get that there is some peace of mind that you'd keep the paint fresh during the life of your ownership but not sure if I want to dump $$ into something that's ultimately going to diminish in value. Don't get me wrong, I am just as OCD as the next guy. I still hand wash both my cars and detail them regularly. I just prefer to put the $5000 or $12500 the OP is being quoted in a different place (like bitcoin) than some. That's all. ;)

Last edited:
On the same page; I’ve never PPF’d any previous car I’ve owned. Aesthetics are only reason I am interested in this - I really like the stealth/matte look, especially on black cars, and wanted to explore the possibility of getting this done on the MYP. Given the super high costs, I’ve decided not to go through with it. I will, however, be adding ceramic protection the white interior (have two kids). :)

Wow 12,500 I thought I got took. I paid 6500.00 for my matte stealth 3m ppf. And all the edges are wrapped. I would shop around. But yes there is a Tesla tax. Had my 2020 ranger done for 4500.00 and if you think about it the Tesla has no roof so no ppf.

Attachments

• 03C252FD-5AAF-46B5-8CE8-EFBE48728545.jpeg
    03C252FD-5AAF-46B5-8CE8-EFBE48728545.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 115