Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The uploaded image is too big"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
TLDR: "The uploaded image is too big" error message on TMC might refer to a limit on the physical (pixel) dimensions of an image, not the number of bytes in the file.

Got a brand new iPhone 15 Pro to replace my old iPhone 11. I started getting a bunch of new problems uploading files into posts...no matter what I tried I was getting "The uploaded image is too big" errors from TMC. I did everything I could think of to reduce the file size (i.e. reducing JPEG quality) but nothing seemed to work, even when I wound up with something smaller than files that had uploaded successfully in the past. On a whim I decided to try resizing the dimensions of the photo (I used Preview on macOS) and this allowed me to upload the photo.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchMitch
how big is the file?

MIght have been an issue with space on the storage volume which I just increased.

There's an XF update that should be coming hopefully soon that will make uploading images easier.

The original was around 7MB. Re-saved with the lowest JPEG resolution was about 1MB (which I admit is still pretty large). I think when I reduced the physical dimensions and resampled it was something like a few hundred KB.

Bruce.

I figured this out (sort of). If I go into the Settings -> Camera -> Formats and change the Photo mode from 24 MP to 12 MP, then any photos taken with those settings can be uploaded.

Bruce.
Is there any better solution to this? Don’t feel like setting my camera quality down for 99.9% of my photos to accommodate the few times I want to post on TMC.

How big are the image files?
Just looked…very weird. Like @bmah I have a iPhone 15 (pro max).

The original photos were using both 12MP and 24MP mode. Their size was between 2MB-4MB. None of them were allowed to be used…”file size too big”.

In this example, original photo was 24MP mode, 3.6MB, 4284x5712 pixels. File size was too big.

So just took a screenshot of it…

IMG_5302.jpeg

When I took screen shots of my photos one the phone itself, those posted fine. But the crazy part…the size (MP’s) was way bigger. It was only set at 2MP format. But the size was 6.6MB (though only 1290x1599).

IMG_5308.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
The way it's supposed to work is that uploads are limited to 10MB. Then, they are processed on the server to limit the resolution to 2000x2000 to reduce the storage required.

Are you actually getting a "file too big" error message, or more of an "oops" message?

I just found a Cloudflare Firewall rule that was preventing some images from uploading, so I'm curious if this problem persists.

Just looked…very weird. Like @bmah I have a iPhone 15 (pro max).
The original photos were using both 12MP and 24MP mode. Their size was between 2MB-4MB. None of them were allowed to be used…”file size too big”.
In this example, original photo was 24MP mode, 3.6MB, 4284x5712 pixels. File size was too big.
So just took a screenshot of it…
When I took screen shots of my photos one the phone itself, those posted fine. But the crazy part…the size (MP’s) was way bigger. It was only set at 2MP format. But the size was 6.6MB (though only 1290x1599).
Perhaps there's some meta data in the original file that CloudFlare thinks might be a possible injection attack or some such.