TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Voltra

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by renim, Jun 30, 2018.

1. renim

renim Member

• Like x 1
  2. Olds442

Olds442 Member

that's cool. seems a really smart application long over due.

3. renim

renim Member

#3 renim, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    i once worked at mt isa (copper mine)
    in 1997, we sent a brand new Toyota landcruiser into the mine.
    in 1999, we sold that landcruiser for scrap, it lasted 2 years in the underground environment, which is ok.
    literally i could see daylight through the differential/transmission housing.
    the engine was barely ran in, someone's boat would get a bargain.

underground mines are very aggressive locations for vehicles, typically the ore is sulphide, so the rust is profound, (aluminium is even worse than steel). and the 'road' surface is very rocky.

we would lock the vehicle to low range and bottom 3 gears only. so very torquey.
    diesel only, petrol is illegal underground.
    typically driven most of a shift, so perhaps 6 days week, 2 x 11 hours per day. low of steep inclines and declines
    our company would also change the brakes from dry (general automotive) to wet (heavy duty automotive)

lots of diesel used, but this application would seriously need
    (strong regenerative braking)
    ("rapid" charging, honestly 22kW AC would be sufficient if located at crib room) (there is a lot of electricity available in a mine)

the vehicle above is lacking 3 things
    1 dirt, nothing ever looks pristine in a mine after use.
    2 ROPS (roll over protection (steel tubing over A pillars and B pillars)
    3 FOPS (fall on protection (steel plate armoring above cab)