Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90d with FUSC SC01, bought pre-owned from Tesla, will it transfer to new tesla purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched threads but could not find any info. I bought my 2016 from Tesla as pre-owned with the FUSC. The code check trick clicking on the car image shows SC01. With the horror stories on the forum I'm wondering if this will transfer to the purchase of a new Tesla. Any experience on this?

Did you receive notification from Tesla about the ability to transfer on the purchase of a new car? I know that’s what happened in Q4 last year when owners could transfer it over, but am not sure how the notification was handled for the Q1 promotion currently underway. You should be able to contact Tesla and they can verify the eligibility for you.

If you do transfer, it then becomes SC05 for your new car, meaning you get free supercharging for as long as you own that car, but it won’t transfer with the car to the new owner if you sell it.

if the car has it currently then u should be fine
tesla started stripping away sc01 from used cars inventory at some point in time (not sure when) n u would have sc04 if that happened
curious when did u buy it?

Did you receive notification from Tesla about the ability to transfer on the purchase of a new car? I know that’s what happened in Q4 last year when owners could transfer it over, but am not sure how the notification was handled for the Q1 promotion currently underway. You should be able to contact Tesla and they can verify the eligibility for you.

If you do transfer, it then becomes SC05 for your new car, meaning you get free supercharging for as long as you own that car, but it won’t transfer with the car to the new owner if you sell it.
I assume the OP is asking if SC01 transfers to a private party buyer. If this is indeed the case then the short answer is "yes, it transfers in perpetuity from private party to private party free of charge" and nothing from this post I quoted applies.

I assume the OP is asking if SC01 transfers to a private party buyer. If this is indeed the case then the short answer is "yes, it transfers in perpetuity from private party to private party free of charge" and nothing from this post I quoted applies.
OP specifically asked:
I'm wondering if this will transfer to the purchase of a new Tesla. Any experience on this?
Note the emphasis on “purchase of a new Tesla”. Which is why I answered the way I did regarding the transfer promotion and my experience transferring over the SC01 from my 2016 MS to my new 2023 MS LR (which now has SC05, not SC01).

OP specifically asked:

Note the emphasis on “purchase of a new Tesla”. Which is why I answered the way I did regarding the transfer promotion and my experience transferring over the SC01 from my 2016 MS to my new 2023 MS LR (which now has SC05, not SC01).
I must have missed that part the first time because it seemed like the OP was asking more about if they sold the car, private party.

Yes, if you trade it in your new car will be SC05 (free for you, the original owner) but will NOT transfer to the next owner. Your previous car will lose all forms of free unlimited Supercharging as soon as Tesla takes it in on trade. Aside from selling more units as a marketing tactic, this is Tesla's motivator as they endeavor to remove more and more cars from the streets that have that rapidly vanishing SC01 option.