Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermal throttling when charging in extreme temperatures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! I just came back from a road trip to Lassen and on the way back noticed significant charging reductions and am wondering if it's because: 1) My car bttery is too hot and can't take a charge, or 2) the supercharger (all V3) can't output sustained loads

Chargers were all <80% full, V3
Ambient temps were 105F+ and arrived after hours of driving

I also arrived at a V2 station (owned stall - no splitting), same ambient temp 107, but was able to get 128kw sustained throughout up until 45% battery SoC! This is even BETTER than a V3

1662392717530.png

1662392563002.png

1662392755782.png

LAST CHART - THE TYPE OF CHARGING BEHAVIOR I EXPECT. tHIs was recorded at night ~9PM where temps were cooler ~80F. We observe the type of V3 charging curve you expect - peak at 250 and then GRADUAL drop down

1662392865484.png

Attachments

• 1662392525662.png
    1662392525662.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 131
This hint came from, as I remember, Bjorn Nyland's YouTube channel: V3's (and possibly V2's) have a temperature sensor in the charging handles. It is to monitor if the cable becomes too hot due to charging too rapidly for lengthy periods of time. He noticed this on very hot days (even in Norway). His solution was to wrap a cool wet towel around the handle and part of the cable just behind it. That cools down the temp sensor and speeds up the charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: 804son and alexcue
V2s have that handle temperature sensor and it can get too hot. V3s are watercooled so they technically shouldn't need to use the wet rag trick.

With a V3, delivering a lot of current into an already very hot battery pack could overheat your pack, which would slow down the charge until the pack can recover. Maybe your cooling system is subpar? Some people have cleaned their front radiator because it was very dirty, dead leaves etc... Something to look at in your spare time. If you had ScanMyTesla you could know if the problem is your battery temperature at least.

V3s do share, 4 at a time, using a DC bus. and I believe their max throughput could be affected by the size of the transformer or a potential battery as someone else noted.

I guess other parts of the charging system, including the chargers themselves, could become too hot...

V2s have that handle temperature sensor and it can get too hot. V3s are watercooled so they technically shouldn't need to use the wet rag trick.

With a V3, delivering a lot of current into an already very hot battery pack could overheat your pack, which would slow down the charge until the pack can recover. Maybe your cooling system is subpar? Some people have cleaned their front radiator because it was very dirty, dead leaves etc... Something to look at in your spare time. If you had ScanMyTesla you could know if the problem is your battery temperature at least.

V3s do share, 4 at a time, using a DC bus. and I believe their max throughput could be affected by the size of the transformer or a potential battery as someone else noted.

I guess other parts of the charging system, including the chargers themselves, could become too hot...
If my cooling system is subpar it shouldn't be able to maintain 128kw through 50% at a V2, but then drop below 90 at a V3 right? The V2 happened after 5+ hours of driving AFTER all my V3 charges