Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermostat sometimes resets to 72

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep my climate thermostat at 71. My wife (passenger side) is usually around 68. Sometimes (not always, not even "usually"), when I get back into the car my side has changed itself to 72. Passenger side does not do this.. I'm only just getting around to posting, but it's been happening for a few months.

Any ideas?

Do you have more than one driver profile that you use? The temperature setting is stored in the profile. If you use Valet Mode, check the temp setting in the Valet profile.

I do have the Easy Entry (or whatever it's called) for raising the steering wheel when I get in/out. Might that be it? I don't remember if I started using it at the same time this problem started, but they're in the same ballpark.

I don't use Easy Entry, but if you can actually select that profile in order to change the settings, check the temp there.
Good suggestion. I'll give that a look-see this evening. And if that profile has 72 then I'll change it to something else to see if the "resets to..." follows it.
I don't think that's it.

I got in and it was already in Easy Entry, temperature was at 71. While still in Easy Entry I changed the temperature control to 74, and it showed "Saving".

Switch to my driving profile, the temp changed to 71, and the steering wheel moved down (to how I drive).

Switched by to Easy Entry, and the temp remained at 71, steering wheel moved back up.

I fiddled with it a bit more, and I think that Easy Entry does not adjust temperature when it switches to that profile. Maybe it saves a temperature setting to the profile, but it does not seem to apply that value when you switch to that profile. That's actually consistent with my understanding of the intent. I checked the manual and it doesn't help:
When the Easy Entry setting is associated with a driver's profile, the steering wheel and driver's seat automatically adjust when in Park and the driver's seat belt is unbuckled, allowing an easy exit from Model 3.
So it doesn't say that it applies the other profile related settings (like temperature), but it also does not explicitly state that it does not apply those settings, either.

Since I changed Easy Access to 74 then next time I encounter this glitch I'll have learned something depending on whether it changes to 72 or to 74.

I got in mine the other day and it was set to 79. I have never used 79: it's been on 72 for months and I don't touch it. I don't use easy entry either. I set it back to 72. Since then, the car updated to 2022.8.2 and I haven't experienced the problem again. Maybe the previous 2022.4.5 had a glitch?

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
It happened to me again today, only instead of setting to 72 it set to 74. See my above post (#6), and 74 is what I had changed the Easy Entry profile to. I would take this as evidence of Easy Entry being the problem, except for people above stating that they don't use Easy Entry.

ETA: This has happened to me twice today, both times when I got in at home, where sentry is off. When I got in the car elsewhere (grocery store, etc), sentry was on. So I am going to guess that this occurs when (or is more likely to occur when) the car has been sleeping. On the other hand, if the car does not go to sleep (and sentry prevents it from sleeping) then it doesn't happen (or less likely?). My sample size is small, so I am not very confident about this part yet.

Also, regarding versions, when I started this thread the car was on 2022.4.5.3. Last night I updated to 2022.8.2. So it happens on both of those. I think this happened prior to 2022.4.x as well, and if I were to guess it started with V11.

I just thought of something. The day when mine showed 79 for the first time, I had let my sister sit in the driver's seat and I told her to set the seat so it was comfortable for her; told her my settings are saved in my profile. So she did that and when I got back in the car, I clicked on my name and chose "Restore". My seat went back to where I set it. Nothing else changed and later when I drove it home, the temperature was higher than normal (like 75). I changed it back to 72 and thought I was done with it. Drove home and when I exited the car, it was still on 72. The very next morning (next time I got in the car) was when it showed 79. I just happened to remember that is the first time I had ever clicked on my name and clicked "Restore". Must have something to do with it but I still don't know where the 79 came from.

Mike

For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen this issue in either of our Teslas (S and 3). Two differences between my scenario and yours:
  1. I don’t use Easy Entry.
  2. I don’t use split temperatures, meaning the driver/passenger temps are synced.
Current firmware in both cars is 2022.4.5.18.

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
Since my previous post on this a couple of weeks ago I have not had this problem. What changed? I'm not sure.

To be clear:
The last time this happened was shortly after I had updated to 2022.8.2.
The last time this happened I then changed the Easy Entry thermostat setting to 69.
Car is still on 2022.8.2
It hasn't happened since then.

So perhaps changing/saving the Easy Entry thermostat setting on 2022.8.2 is what fixed it. Or maybe "69" is just magic. Regardless, I'll take it :)

Our Model S has been doing the same things. I have it set to a temperature, fan, etc. while driving, make a quick stop, get back in the car and it changes, often to 72 and auto. Another symptom is that I get in the car, make settings changes, then when I put it in drive, it changes back to where it was set before I made changes. So I have to go through the changes again.

Our Model S has been doing the same things. I have it set to a temperature, fan, etc. while driving, make a quick stop, get back in the car and it changes, often to 72 and auto. Another symptom is that I get in the car, make settings changes, then when I put it in drive, it changes back to where it was set before I made changes. So I have to go through the changes again.
Likely culprit is using Easy Entry if you use it. Any changes to HVAC you make in Easy Entry mode before you shift into a gear and it changes to your specific profile are not really “saved”. The settings will stay when the car changes to your profile but next time you get in the car the HVAC system will revert to the last known settings that you made in your specific profile. So basically is you want any HVAC settings to stick each time you get in and out of the car, make the changes when you are in your specific driver profile. This drove me nuts until I figured this out.

This has not happened to me again since my post on 12-Apr-2022. It may have something to with how I have configured my car, or it may be fixed in software that is on my car. I still suspect it was related to EasyEntry.

However, now that I have 2022.24.6 I have the turn camera where it always should have been (higher up), so I drive with the steering wheel higher up and have disabled EasyEntry.