Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to look in model Y used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to concept of TSLA and looking to buy a used 2022 model Y from a private party in NJ. What are the things to look for before buying, and ensure whatever seller claims is correct.

- how to Ensure its long range model not standard range?
- current battery state and range on a full battery
- year of manufacture and outstanding warranty

Anything else i should look for?

@MdlYAdmirer - since you are looking private party (very much like those that sell on here), you have the opportunity to have the seller share the descriptions of the car with you directly before you see it in-person.

The Specs/Warranty are available quickly from the seller via the Tesla app.

Specs:
Warranty:

A lot of dealerships don't seem to perform these steps well on webpages when Teslas are sold as this info is allso available while on the screen in the car, you can confirm this before purchasing.

Other than this, I presume you're looking over things that are any other car, glass/scratches - wheel rash!

Hope this helps on the journey.

Upvote 0
I would add that the new delivery checklist is a good thing to look at. Even with used vehicles. There are quite a few of those floating around that is just good general information to go over a vehicle thoroughly. In addition to that, you'll want to ask about service history. Tesla now has a battery health check that you can run but probably not necessary on a 1 or 2 year old car.

And then you'll just want to test drive it. Of course, make sure everything feels good. There's no abnormal noises and that kind of thing that the steering feels right and so on. A lot of it is just a normal stuff you would do when buying a used car. Now if you get an EV that's older. You'll probably want to look more into the battery health. But worst case here you're going to be buying a Model Y that's only about 2 years old, 2 and 1/2 years old. So you'll still have five and a half or more years of warranty left on battery. Unless it has abnormally high mileage.

Upvote 0