Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheaper to buy a new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car dealers know that there are two classes of buyers. Those that buy new, and those that buy used. Many people, in the always buy used do not shop against purchasing new as the have a predestination to only buy used.
I wouldn't say there are two classes of people. Our household income is above $300,000 and could certainly have afforded to buy new. I night a used one for about 8-9k less than the sticker price and it only had around 1,000 miles on it, basically brand new. I paid cash for the car and have no car payment and thousands of extra dollars as opposed to buying new. I think a lot of people buy new who probably shouldn't to be honest.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
That's not true, I don't qualify for the incentive and bought a used 2023 MY SR AWD Dual Motor with the new battery tech (which I wanted) and Hard 4 cameras with about 1,000 miles on it for around $40,500. The sticker price on this car was almost $50,000. Used cars line this one are in the mid 40's on line. You can get used LR 2023 for around 42,000-44,000 or so but many of these were made before May and have hardware 3. On the Tesla website you can't find any inventory for a LR for less than $42,000. I traded my car in and got a great price for it (about $1,000 more than I would have gotten elsewhere) and saved another $1,000 on taxes by trading in. So I would have had to pay at $4,000 more than I did. I really like the car and there was no
to get into an AWD Dual Motor with premium sound for $40,500 new with the tax rebate. I'm happy with the deal I got.
I bought new and paid $38k (which is cheaper than your used Y). I guess you could argue you got better value since your car is AWD…but it’s still not cheaper.

Last edited:
I bought new and paid $38k (which is cheaper than your used Y). I guess you could argue you got better value since your car is AWD…but it’s still not cheaper.
You are comparing different trim levels. Mine isn't just AWD. It's AWD, Dual Motor, Premium Sound and 4th generation hard ware. You can find a cheaper car if you buy a different trim level. The sticker price on this car was almost 50K. You can not buy a new RWD Y for under 40K on the Tesla website today. Cheapest is over 41K (before any sort of rebate.)

You are comparing different trim levels. Mine isn't just AWD. It's AWD, Dual Motor, Premium Sound and 4th generation hard ware. You can find a cheaper car if you buy a different trim level. The sticker price on this car was almost 50K. You can not buy a new RWD Y for under 40K on the Tesla website today. Cheapest is over 41K (before any sort of rebate.)
I just checked and there are still some 2023 RWD Model Ys (that have 4th gen hardware and premium sound, though not AWD) for $38k…the car isn’t eligible for rebate though:

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
I just checked and there are still some 2023 RWD Model Ys (that have 4th gen hardware and premium sound, though not AWD) for $38k…the car isn’t eligible for rebate though:
If you don’t “need” AWD and don’t care about the tax credit those leftover 2023 RWDs are screaming deals with all of the premium interior/audio/lighting stuff and the software locked 3LR battery.

The 4680 structural pack in the now discontinued Y AWD is a verifiable turd… first-gen product that is already orphaned, has sub-par charging performance, and is going to be a support oddity as the car ages.

Reactions: mborkow
If you don’t “need” AWD and don’t care about the tax credit those leftover 2023 RWDs are screaming deals with all of the premium interior/audio/lighting stuff and the software locked 3LR battery.

I am amazed that car is still sitting on the lot here in the Bay Area where you 100% do not *need* AWD and where a large number of Tesla customers aren’t eligible for the rebate to begin with; it’s such a good deal!

The 4680 structural pack in the now discontinued Y AWD is a verifiable turd… first-gen product that is already orphaned, has sub-par charging performance, and is going to be a support oddity as the car ages.
I have a AWD Y with the 4860 battery pack and it's great! They actually recently rolled out a software update to improve charging performance on them. Great car. I certainly wouldn't say it's a "verifiable turd."

By thew way, what is the the premium interior and lighting stuff?

It's a different car.
That’s inaccurate. They are essentially the same car aside from the front motor delete for RWD which sheds 200lbs of weight from the front axle and improves efficiency for people who don’t need AWD (and don’t care about 0-60). Aside from that, for model year 2023, they are the same. Tesla does make different cars: Models 3, S, and X. The various Model Ys are different trim levels; not different cars.

Last edited:
That’s inaccurate. They are essentially the same car aside from the front motor delete for RWD which sheds 200lbs of weight from the front axle and improves efficiency for people who don’t need AWD (and don’t care about 0-60). Aside from that, for model year 2023, they are the same. Tesla does make different cars: Models 3, S, and X. The various Model Ys are different trim levels; not different cars.
The RWD car doesn't haven't AWD, Dual Motor, or premium sound. It is a different car.

That’s true for 2024…it was not true for the 2023s (to which many people on this very forum attest) that can still be purchased.
Got it. Regardless, any Y you can get, is a good one! Those 38K RWD are a great deal (and I think if you can a few k more to get a AWD that's a good deal as well, and if you pay a little more to get a LR that is a good deal as well. :) I'm very happy with mine! I'm been very surprised by how good the range is as a daily driver (I go on five or so road trips a year and 95% of my driving is in city. I actually only charge my car to 50% each day.)

I am amazed that car is still sitting on the lot here in the Bay Area where you 100% do not *need* AWD and where a large number of Tesla customers aren’t eligible for the rebate to begin with; it’s such a good deal!
Perhaps the so called techies in the bay area are not well informed. 2023 RWD is a great deal but people are fixated on the dual motor AWD version.

Got it. Regardless, any Y you can get, is a good one! Those 38K RWD are a great deal (and I think if you can a few k more to get a AWD that's a good deal as well, and if you pay a little more to get a LR that is a good deal as well. :) I'm very happy with mine! I'm been very surprised by how good the range is as a daily driver (I go on five or so road trips a year and 95% of my driving is in city. I actually only charge my car to 50% each day.)
I 100% agree. If I could have gotten dual motors for the same price, I’d have gotten that in a heartbeat (even though I don’t really need it, I’ve always enjoyed it on the cars where I’ve had it).

Elon has mentioned that high car prices and high car payments significantly dampen demand.

He understands well, that if he wants to convert personal transportation over to electric he must stimulate demand with ever lower prices.

Now that he has multiple factories, and is rapidly achieving scale, he can innovate less expensive ways to produce those cars, so there will be increasing demand for them when people go out shopping for a new car.

Car prices went very high during Covid, when supplies were very tight and dealerships got greedy. Now that demand has more stabilized and Tesla output is increasing, lower pricing will go a long way towards increasing demand.

Everyone knows that Elon is not making these cars to simply make himself richer. Lots of easier ways for a Tech Nerd to make a fortune. He is really wanting to advance the adoption of electric vehicle, instead of polluting internal combustion legacy cars.

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement in their vehicles to make them more competitive with ICE. Buying current production will get you the current state of the art, while delaying your purchase will, by design, get you a better and perhaps even less expensive vehicle later. Each buyer must look at what is avaiable the day they wish to purchase a car and decide if what is available is their best choice in the marketplace. Waiting for better will have you waiting forever.

I 100% agree. If I could have gotten dual motors for the same price, I’d have gotten that in a heartbeat (even though I don’t really need it, I’ve always enjoyed it on the cars where I’ve had it).
I didn't qualify for the tax credit due to our income, so I had to buy one outright. I bought the 2023 AWD Dual Motor with about 1600 miles for around $40,500. However, it actually was less than that because I got a great deal on my trade in and also saved over $1,000 in taxes by trading in my car at the same place where I bought the Tesla. With the low milage on the car it was basically like a brand new one. I put a level 2 charger at our house and so far, I'm really enjoy it.