Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheaper to buy a new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has mentioned that high car prices and high car payments significantly dampen demand.

He understands well, that if he wants to convert personal transportation over to electric he must stimulate demand with ever lower prices.

Now that he has multiple factories, and is rapidly achieving scale, he can innovate less expensive ways to produce those cars, so there will be increasing demand for them when people go out shopping for a new car.

Car prices went very high during Covid, when supplies were very tight and dealerships got greedy. Now that demand has more stabilized and Tesla output is increasing, lower pricing will go a long way towards increasing demand.

Everyone knows that Elon is not making these cars to simply make himself richer. Lots of easier ways for a Tech Nerd to make a fortune. He is really wanting to advance the adoption of electric vehicle, instead of polluting internal combustion legacy cars.

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement in their vehicles to make them more competitive with ICE. Buying current production will get you the current state of the art, while delaying your purchase will, by design, get you a better and perhaps even less expensive vehicle later. Each buyer must look at what is avaiable the day they wish to purchase a car and decide if what is available is their best choice in the marketplace. Waiting for better will have you waiting forever.
I dont agree, I feel this next group of buyers are not fully informed about EVs and scared, esp with all of the fake news about EVs (fake in Teslas case)
This group are ICE people are only open to hybrids because they say, it has a backup propulsion system to the battery incase it fails
This group of perspective buyers are anti Tesla, will only go for legacy, legacy does not want to sell EVs, they think batteries fail, you get stuck on the road
FUD is controlling this group

sad

back to your point and cost, lets compare a MYRWD cost with incentives vs Toy Highlander Hybrid
Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE $41K
Tesla MY RWD $35.5K after point of sale tax credit rebate
MachE Select $39.9

as stated above, its not the price but the FUD that is slowing EV adoption
the ex Toyota CEO is gloating

Reactions: finman100
I didn't qualify for the tax credit due to our income, so I had to buy one outright. I bought the 2023 AWD Dual Motor with about 1600 miles for around $40,500. However, it actually was less than that because I got a great deal on my trade in and also saved over $1,000 in taxes by trading in my car at the same place where I bought the Tesla. With the low milage on the car it was basically like a brand new one. I put a level 2 charger at our house and so far, I'm really enjoy it.
Not sure about your state, but in California there’s a used car rebate and (IIRC) it does not have an income test; might be worth checking

Reactions: Owner4523