Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why only charge every other day? Plug it in every day- even if only 110v- if you can charge for 10 hours, you'll get an extra 50 miles. Also what ngogas said- I keep mine at 90%

Performance model 3 is most fun car I've had ever by a factor of 10

My wife and I are thinking about getting a Model 3 Performance. When I first looked they were $69,500 and now with AutoPilot included the price is only $66,000. That, plus the tax credit expiring, makes it seem like a good time to buy. So I have a couple of questions and I would appreciate any feedback anyone would be willing to provide.

(1) It's my understanding I need to take delivery before June 1st, 2019 to get the current tax credit. Is it even possible to get an M3 Performance delivered by June 1st or does the rebate work differently? I ask because I notice other posts that seemed to suggest the wait time is far more than 2 weeks as stated on Tesla's website.

(2) I was told by Tesla that since I live more than 160 miles from the nearest showroom/service center they would deliver the car to my home for free. Does this sound right?

(3) I've heard that Tesla has some quality control issues, are these serious or minor?

(4) The P3D+ is rated at a 310 mile range, on an 80% charge with reasonable driving, what's it's actual range? For example, on 80% charge, could I commute two days, 84 miles round trip w/o a charge.

Thanks for your help.

Curious: do you ever wonder about the company making it? I’m considering buying and that’s something that runs through my head often.

Curious: do you ever wonder about the company making it? I’m considering buying and that’s something that runs through my head often.

Yes and no. I generally think that Tesla has enough brand cachet and good enough products and people that while they may struggle. they won't be going anywhere any time soon. Failing that, I think they'd be snapped up by a company like Apple long before actually disappearing. I'm in for the mission (clean/green transportation) and on top of that I get to drive a car with supercar acceleration (and high end sport sedan handling) at a fraction of the cost of a supercar? I'm in. I'm all in.

Reactions: astrowunder
(4) The P3D+ is rated at a 310 mile range, on an 80% charge with reasonable driving, what's it's actual range? For example, on 80% charge, could I commute two days, 84 miles round trip w/o a charge.

Thanks for your help.

The P3D+ has never been “rated”. Only P3D- which is the same as the AWD with Aero’s.

Folks numbers vary but it’s probably more like 280.

At 80% charge and going down to say 10%

That leaves you ~196 miles

There is nothing wrong with charging to 90% on a regular basis.

Don’t forget cold weather can take around 30%.

I think you are smart to be thinking about it. I have a P3D- and I would NEVER get a P3D+. 20” are a headache. They bend, blowout, eat range, eat rubber. But they look awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: SleeperService
I purchased a Performance about three weeks ago. I had an X before that. I had most of the questions you have now...prior to home delivery (i live 200 miles from nearest service center.

Car was surprisingly flawless. Paint was very sharp (midnight silver/black interior). Seats are very comfortable- I'm 6'1". Air conditioning is robust and the vent system is actually genius (I live in Alabama, so similar climate to you). The center screen works so well- took me about 3 miles to get used to it. You will probably love it. There is not much I can add about driving it that hasn't been amply explained in the forum. Simply amazing. It's quick AND fast. Very fun to drive.

Good luck with the decision!

Reactions: lozza
Thank you everyone for you replies, I'm still on the fence. It would be a big purchase at my income level, but I do love the car from everything I've seen about it. Electric is the future, and this car seems to embody that. Plus 0-60 in 3.2 second will put a smile on your face, I rode in my dad's 1968 Firebird today, 400ci stroked to 461ci with aluminum heads and intake. Man that torque, you have to love it, and the P3D+ seems to have plenty of it.

One final question, I'm a long way from a service center, what happens if the car breaks down? What happens if I have an issue but the car is still operable? This would assume it's still under it's initial warranty.

Last edited:
If money is not an issue, it's hard not to be awed by the performance of the, um, Performance. But if a not-as-big purchase is called for, it's not like any of the Model 3's lack torque. I was blown away when I test drove a Performance, but the truth is, I was probably just as wow-ed by the shove in my back during my first ride in my friend's LR RWD. It still packs a punch, coming from a car that I used to think had pretty decent pickup. (I guess it did... 21 years ago. :)