Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Camaro SS 1LE For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

First time poster on this board, so I apologize if i'm starting this thread in the wrong place.

In 2014, I bought a brand new Camaro 2SS 1LE from the dealership, and I would be lying if I said I didn't love this beast. However I've also been an avid Tesla supporter and follower and now that the Model 3 is out, I can comfortably say that i'd love to have one. The reason why i'm starting this thread is to ask if I should actually get one, or maybe wait a few more years until the Camaro has ran it's course and the Model 3 has been improved upon.

Below i've compiled a list of notes regarding my current car and my perception of it:

Camaro:
-The LS3 has that amazing V8 noise - I have a retro chambered exhaust setup. I will probably miss this.
-Dropping a gear to pass someone is so satisfying - it's a 6 speed manual
-The MPG is awful, as are the maintenance costs. 4 new tires cost me 1500 a few years ago. I use premium gasoline. New brake pads may be in the near future and the quotes i'm getting for that are stupid pricey.
-Interior is clean and has an overall nice feel, but it's nothing special. I do have a microfiber suede steering wheel & shifter
-It's been an overall solid DD, minus one or two minor things. I get looks and compliments all the time. If you don't know what a Camaro 1LE is, they're pretty unique cars. Not ZL1 unique, but definitely attention grabbing nonetheless. I don't care too much for the attention at this point in my life.

Tesla & Miscellaneous:
What a beautiful car this is. I love the features and selling points, the all-touch display - almost everything about it. If I could i'd get a Model X or S I would, but it's way out of my price range.

I've heard that the Tesla is quiet, smooth, brilliant, but there are still some quality control issues. That shouldn't be a problem however since the warranty is fantastic. The interior looks plain to the extreme, but that too isn't too much of a bother for me. It's oddly satisfying - but I don't know if it's comfortable. I only drive a total of 3 miles per day (to/from work), and some more on the weekend, but once I start going back to the gym it'll probably climb back up to 10 or 11 a day. FOR NOW I wouldn't do the installed wall charger, because i'm going to be selling my condo probably in the next year or two - which makes me think I should wait until the move before selling the Camaro.

Here's the real dilemma I face: I still owe 6k on the Camaro. MSRP was 45 and I got it for 39. I could probably sell it today for maybe 20k (it has 40k miles). The Tesla i'm looking at would have blue paint (1500), Long Range premium Interior (33,950), and i'm still undecided on the wheels. The purchase price ends up being 47,500 "before savings" (whatever that means) which is a bit out of my line - But I really don't want to compromise on performance compared to what I have now. I could probably use some pointers here. I live in AZ so I don't get as many tax breaks as say someone in California.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I think the fun factor, responsiveness of steering / acceleration, and the price are my biggest points. Thanks all.

BONUS:

What my car looks like now:
attachment.php

My possible future car:
2018-tesla-model-3-101-1523652233.jpg

I was on the fence about ditching my BMW 340i for a Model 3 Performance, for reasons similar to those you listed above. Test drove one at the Kierland showroom and was reasonably impressed, but not totally sold. It's hard to get a feel for something so different in a 20 minute controlled test drive, I was on sensory overload. Since I was still on the fence, I took the advice of a few here on the forums and rented a P3D from a guy on Turo. Took less than 24 hours and I placed my order. If are up for spending $150 or so, you can spend an entire day in one of the cars to help make up your mind.

I did a quick google on your Camaro- if you have the 6.2L, going to a Model 3 LR will actually be a slower car, though off the line it will be faster. 0-60 will be just a bit slower, but it may not feel like that.

I find my P3D- to have the most comfortable seats I've ever been in. The car is very quiet, though it has some road and wind noise. The nearly silent acceleration will be a huge change for you.

For me, the Model 3's handling (and acceleration of the performance version) make it by far the most enjoyable driving experience I've ever had. Also autopilot is just awesome on long drives. Good luck!

I'm very familiar with your car, and have been a "gear head" for most of my adult life. Your comment: "But I really don't want to compromise on performance compared to what I have now" leads me to believe that the Standard Tesla Model 3 will be a very big change. I think you should strongly consider the Model 3 Performance. The entry price for that car is $62,500 plus transport/fees. Fully loaded the car can reach near $70K. That's a lot of car for the money, and should be competitive with, and superior to, the Camaro in many areas. You'll have to decide if the seamless push of the EV powertrain is as satisfying as the "rowing your own" fun of a stick shift transmission. The second big change is how power is delivered. The EV powertrain will provide instantaneous torque, but if you have ever driven on the track you'll find that top end power of ICE cars is still impressive. Finally, there's the "sound" issue. Despite all the problems with ICE engines, the sound they produce is loved by many. Your Camaro still has a lot of life in it, and has depreciated pretty significantly.

Only you can decide if stepping up to a Tesla is the right decision - right in the short term, and long term. As much as I'm a Tesla fan, I've also enjoyed my ICE sports cars. I'm glad to own the Tesla, but I'm a "senior citizen" (slang for "old guy"), and for me 0-60 is less important than a comfortable cutting edge EV. I'm not sure if I'd make the same decision if I were still your age, knowing that EVs will continue to improve in performance, range, and cost.

I'm sure I'll get flamed a bit for my comments, but I'm trying to answer your question from the perspective of a "car guy" who has owned many sports cars, and thoroughly enjoys them, even now.

I was on the fence about ditching my BMW 340i for a Model 3 Performance, for reasons similar to those you listed above. Test drove one at the Kierland showroom and was reasonably impressed, but not totally sold. It's hard to get a feel for something so different in a 20 minute controlled test drive, I was on sensory overload. Since I was still on the fence, I took the advice of a few here on the forums and rented a P3D from a guy on Turo. Took less than 24 hours and I placed my order. If are up for spending $150 or so, you can spend an entire day in one of the cars to help make up your mind.

Small world, I live off of Shea and the 101. I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen me driving around once or twice!

I like your ideas a lot. I think it would be smart to schedule a test drive at Kierland, and perhaps rent on Turo for an extended review. It's just always difficult to buy a new car.

I did a quick google on your Camaro- if you have the 6.2L, going to a Model 3 LR will actually be a slower car, though off the line it will be faster. 0-60 will be just a bit slower, but it may not feel like that.

I find my P3D- to have the most comfortable seats I've ever been in. The car is very quiet, though it has some road and wind noise. The nearly silent acceleration will be a huge change for you.

For me, the Model 3's handling (and acceleration of the performance version) make it by far the most enjoyable driving experience I've ever had. Also autopilot is just awesome on long drives. Good luck!

Yup, that's it! The LS3 has 426 HP and I think a similar amount of torque. It's a blast to drive but I understand that for the price I wont be looking at the same performance in a Model 3. Though really, like you said, the model 3 LR probably wouldn't be too different. Off the line, even though my tires are 305's, they slip and slide like a mother. Both cars have a similar curb weight. On a roll it probably wouldn't be a match.

Thanks for your input!

Yup, that's it! The LS3 has 426 HP and I think a similar amount of torque. It's a blast to drive but I understand that for the price I wont be looking at the same performance in a Model 3. Though really, like you said, the model 3 LR probably wouldn't be too different. Off the line, even though my tires are 305's, they slip and slide like a mother. Both cars have a similar curb weight. On a roll it probably wouldn't be a match.

Thanks for your input!

I wonder if you could find a used performance version? You could have the best of both worlds. If you try a P3 you may never want another car. ever.

Reactions: Runnergirl
Take your monthly payment if you have one and tack on monthly gas costs. I was paying 160-200 per month on premium gas on top of a car payment. I rationalized rather than paying for gas I can add 200 toward a payment and buy a Tesla

Good idea! I'm paying 400 now, probably 50 in gas every two weeks. Though I would have to add in the cost of a higher electric bill, so i'd need to find out through APS the best power plan for myself.

Do you commute at all? Having access to the HOV is a game changer. The registration cost for 5 years is probably cheaper than your 1yr registration. Coming to a Tesla is a no brainer! Best car ever! Plus everyone that drives a mustang or camaro will attempt to race you.

That is a great point - I don't commute but having access to the HOV would be a nice benefit. I don't use the highway much during the week so unfortunately it's not a big positive.

I pay 400+ now per year for registration. It's gone down but that's something I didn't even think about!! Reg is expensive.

lol I do like to have fun and show off at times, but I don't enjoy racing.

Take your monthly payment if you have one and tack on monthly gas costs. I was paying 160-200 per month on premium gas on top of a car payment. I rationalized rather than paying for gas I can add 200 toward a payment and buy a Tesla

If 1LE McQ drove 40k miles in 5 years, thats roughly 8,000 miles per year, call it 650 miles per month.. I'll be generous and say the 1LE gets 13 MPG (and it makes the math easier).. so 50 gallons of Premium Unleaded per month over the past 4 years.. not sure what gas costs in AZ, but let's call it $3 per gallon average over the past 4 years and that's $150 per month in gasoline cost

If you're working with a budget, I think the LR RWD is a good deal. But I'd really, really try to stretch for the LR AWD, just for the performance alone (looks like 3D vs 1LE would be a good race in the 1/4 mile)

I wonder if you could find a used performance version? You could have the best of both worlds. If you try a P3 you may never want another car. ever.

I know Tesla's hold their value pretty well, and unfortunately some dealers have been marking up the price. I did look for a little bit but figured it wouldn't hurt to get a brand new year.

Any benefit of having 4 doors do anything for your situation?

Not really unfortunately. I mean there have been times I wish i had more space in my Camaro but i've made do. My lady has a 2011 BMW 3 series and that doesn't help lol.

If 1LE McQ drove 40k miles in 5 years, thats roughly 8,000 miles per year, call it 650 miles per month.. I'll be generous and say the 1LE gets 13 MPG (and it makes the math easier).. so 50 gallons of Premium Unleaded per month over the past 4 years.. not sure what gas costs in AZ, but let's call it $3 per gallon average over the past 4 years and that's $150 per month in gasoline cost

If you're working with a budget, I think the LR RWD is a good deal. But I'd really, really try to stretch for the LR AWD, just for the performance alone

Thanks for doing that. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to schedule a test drive and see what they can do at a Tesla store. My girlfriend's brother works at Tesla maintenance I wonder if he could get me a discount?

So about 2 years ago+ I worked about 15 miles away. Now I work about 1.5 miles away from home. It would've made more sense for me if the Model 3 came out earlier. I'd say, give or take, if I went back to the gym which I plan on doing, i'm driving 11 miles a day. Same allowance for the weekend, maybe 15 - 20 miles.

I get about 16 mpg mixed, and get premium gas at Costco for around 3+.

Reactions: tracksyde
Small world, I live off of Shea and the 101. I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen me driving around once or twice!

I like your ideas a lot. I think it would be smart to schedule a test drive at Kierland, and perhaps rent on Turo for an extended review. It's just always difficult to buy a new car.

Yeah I'm over near Tatum and Bell :)

Good idea! I'm paying 400 now, probably 50 in gas every two weeks. Though I would have to add in the cost of a higher electric bill, so i'd need to find out through APS the best power plan for myself.

I drive about 13k miles a year, comes out to about $140-150 a month in gas at $2.90/gal for 91. APS doesn't have an electric vehicle plan unfortunately. I'm on the Saver Choice Max plan, and my rough estimate was that as long as I charged off-peak (8pm - 3pm) it was going to cost me about $20/month in electricity.

I pay 400+ now per year for registration. It's gone down but that's something I didn't even think about!! Reg is expensive.

AZ registration is AWESOME for EVs. For the P3D I ordered, $150 or so gets a 5 year tag. Super cheap compared to a normal car. Here's the page on how to calculate:
Alternate Fuel Vehicle

Last edited:
Reactions: Chancellor32