Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking About Selling Camaro SS 1LE For a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had your exact same car, year, color (white was the best), 2SS, etc. It had the RS package and Recaro seats as well. It was a really fun car but I replaced it with a Model S 85 two years after buying it. I needed more room for hauling music gear to gigs. Not to mention people occasionally. I play pedal steel guitar and I couldn't fit it into the Camaro trunk; had to put it in the front passenger side with one end resting on the floor and the other against the back rest. Bottom-line, it just wasn't practical.

I have Model 3 RW now and really like it, but I still miss the 1LE. I probably think about it once or twice a week. You mentioned the idea of ZL1 as a weekend car along with the 3 and I have thought about that as well.

Conversely, I don't miss the Model S at all. For me, the 3 is a better car (comparing it to the 2015 version of the S). It has better visibility than the S which means it'll feel like a glass house coming from the Camaro.

If you get a 3 you'll like it. No question. It is very easy to like and has tons of upside over any ICE. I wouldn't trade it for the 1LE. Just wish I could justify having both.

If you get a 3 you'll like it. No question. It is very easy to like and has tons of upside over any ICE. I wouldn't trade it for the 1LE. Just wish I could justify having both.
how refreshing to see another member that doesn't believe Tesla and every vehicle they make walks on water. They make great cars they are not a replacement for any and every ice car which it seems most people in these forms think they are.

I bought my all-wheel drive M3 with the intention of selling my weekend sports car because of the gas insurance in the maintenance excetera excetera. after pulling out of winter storage and driving it for approximately 30 seconds I knew that there was no way the model 3 is a replacement

Reactions: Promo714
I was on the fence about ditching my BMW 340i for a Model 3 Performance, for reasons similar to those you listed above. Test drove one at the Kierland showroom and was reasonably impressed, but not totally sold. It's hard to get a feel for something so different in a 20 minute controlled test drive, I was on sensory overload. Since I was still on the fence, I took the advice of a few here on the forums and rented a P3D from a guy on Turo. Took less than 24 hours and I placed my order. If are up for spending $150 or so, you can spend an entire day in one of the cars to help make up your mind.

I ditched my 2016 BMW F80 M3 for my P3D and it was easy. The 340 BMW is a Meh car but the F80 M3 was pretty nice until the P3D came along. The Tesla makes the BMW feel like an ancient dinosaur. No comparison....much quicker, much much much better tech and better looking. Used to like exhaust noise but now find it annoying and enjoy this aspect of the Tesla as well. Stretch for the P3D if you can afford it and you’ll have not only one of the best EVs but one of the best cars PERIOD.

Hi everybody, happy Sunday.

Sorry for my lack of presence, it has been a busy weekend. I'd like to respond to a lot of you and i'll do my best to do so tomorrow.

Today my girlfriend and I went to Tesla and talked to the reps for over an hour. We got to test drive the Model 3 (AWD) and man what an experience. That thing is QUICK. I'm not surprised, but it feels better than my Camaro. It's faster and takes turns like a dream. My biggest surprise was the power output on the highway. Even at 60 or 70 mph I was being pushed back into my seat at WOT. Dangerous car for sure as I see myself getting ticket after ticket. Also, it's an extremely composed car. No wheel slippage or squealing when we were taking a decently sharp turn at 50 mph. Maybe it's my inexperience but I can tell you my Camaro would be fish tailing and screaming along that turn. Is it more fun to do that? Heck yeah. But let's be real; i'm afraid of wearing out those expensive Michelins, and the Tesla handled better for my skill level.

They had a dark gray Model 3 AWD in stock for I think 48k, with 18" wheels. With a trade in they quoted my monthly payments being around 609 per month. I'm not satisfied with that, but the trade in was like 18k - I can get more selling private party. My current APR for the Camaro is %2.7 and I don't doubt I can get that again with my credit union.

They mentioned that I could get a 240 wall outlet for way less than the Tesla home wall charger. Like, stupid less. That being said I think I can comfortably move on to a Tesla and love every second of it. The only part of my Camaro i'd miss is that LS3 roar and the sexy looks. Over the weekend I got two more compliments from random people. I don't know if you all get that with the Tesla's. But now I also need to think if I should lock myself into a new 72 month loan, or pay off the Camaro in a year and a half and be happy. I wouldn't be happy with the maintenance costs and my Camaro is 5 years old. I love my Chevrolet but it's a matter of time before more expensive things start to break.

I know a few of you mentioned this, and i'm so sorry for my misinterpretation but tonight I found out about the Tesla Certified pre-owned page. I can actually get a 2014 or 15 P85D for the same price, if not a little bit cheaper. God now i'm really going to have fun researching the Model S and those older years. I should turn to you all though - would it be better to buy a new M3, or seriously consider a pre-owned P85D? Decisions decisions!

Hi everybody, happy Sunday.

Sorry for my lack of presence, it has been a busy weekend. I'd like to respond to a lot of you and i'll do my best to do so tomorrow.

Today my girlfriend and I went to Tesla and talked to the reps for over an hour. We got to test drive the Model 3 (AWD) and man what an experience. That thing is QUICK. I'm not surprised, but it feels better than my Camaro. It's faster and takes turns like a dream. My biggest surprise was the power output on the highway. Even at 60 or 70 mph I was being pushed back into my seat at WOT. Dangerous car for sure as I see myself getting ticket after ticket. Also, it's an extremely composed car. No wheel slippage or squealing when we were taking a decently sharp turn at 50 mph. Maybe it's my inexperience but I can tell you my Camaro would be fish tailing and screaming along that turn. Is it more fun to do that? Heck yeah. But let's be real; i'm afraid of wearing out those expensive Michelins, and the Tesla handled better for my skill level.

They had a dark gray Model 3 AWD in stock for I think 48k, with 18" wheels. With a trade in they quoted my monthly payments being around 609 per month. I'm not satisfied with that, but the trade in was like 18k - I can get more selling private party. My current APR for the Camaro is %2.7 and I don't doubt I can get that again with my credit union.

They mentioned that I could get a 240 wall outlet for way less than the Tesla home wall charger. Like, stupid less. That being said I think I can comfortably move on to a Tesla and love every second of it. The only part of my Camaro i'd miss is that LS3 roar and the sexy looks. Over the weekend I got two more compliments from random people. I don't know if you all get that with the Tesla's. But now I also need to think if I should lock myself into a new 72 month loan, or pay off the Camaro in a year and a half and be happy. I wouldn't be happy with the maintenance costs and my Camaro is 5 years old. I love my Chevrolet but it's a matter of time before more expensive things start to break.

I know a few of you mentioned this, and i'm so sorry for my misinterpretation but tonight I found out about the Tesla Certified pre-owned page. I can actually get a 2014 or 15 P85D for the same price, if not a little bit cheaper. God now i'm really going to have fun researching the Model S and those older years. I should turn to you all though - would it be better to buy a new M3, or seriously consider a pre-owned P85D? Decisions decisions!
Go with the 3! The newer tech alone is worth it over the S, that’s why I sold my S lol. I think you know the right answer is to sell the camaro and get a Tesla :)

One thing I should mention, is that the rep said I should take action sooner than later. Apparently the best time to buy is near end of quarter, and surprise surprise that's the time I choose to check all of this out. Coincidence?
No totally legit, end of Q sales is the best time for Tesla and every other automaker. There have been some crazy deals on inventory cars over the last week.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
No totally legit, end of Q sales is the best time for Tesla and every other automaker. There have been some crazy deals on inventory cars over the last week.

Dang. So I can either trade in for a deal, or lose out on it, sell private party for more and custom order a m3 for more. Rep mentioned something about a crowd for next EOQ because the federal tax credit is being cut.

Rep said I should get a quote from CarMax and see what they'll do. I don't think that would hurt.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Dang. So I can either trade in for a deal, or lose out on it, sell private party for more and custom order a m3 for more. Rep mentioned something about a crowd for next EOQ because the federal tax credit is being cut.

Rep said I should get a quote from CarMax and see what they'll do. I don't think that would hurt.
I got $5k more from Carvana that any other offer on my ZL1. Check them out.

• Informative
Reactions: adhoc

I would get a quote from carmax, Tesla should match. If that quote plus the tax savings isn’t close to what you would get private party then go that route. I sold my S private party because Tesla low balled me lol.

Cool, thanks. Does Tesla price match with Carvana?
I don't know if Tesla will match it, but I found Carvana awesome to work with. They offered a price, came and picked up the car from my house and handed me a check for the exact amount they quoted. No hassles at all. Of course in California we don't get any tax benefit for trading in a car, so that is a factor if your state charges less tax when you do a trade in.

I have a 2016 Chevy SS sedan with a manual. You don't say what your usage case is for the Camaro. If its a daily the Tesla might be worth it. If you use the Camaro as a second car that you hoon around town, or in the canyons, keep it. Tesla's are fast and handle well but they are not as fun as a V8 and manual. Its just not the same and the feeling lost in the experience is made up for in a few tenths around a track.

As a daily the Tesla fairs better. You'll miss the sound but its pretty damn practical and it a blast to drive on the freeway. Plus you can say bye to the 17 mpg gas bills.

You need a test drive as its an experience thing. Good luck with the choice.

• Love
Reactions: MrMannnilow
Not ZL1 but I sold my 2017 Shelby GT350 for Model 3, no regret lol

Good to know :) GT350's are nice! Did you get the Performance model?

I would get a quote from carmax, Tesla should match. If that quote plus the tax savings isn’t close to what you would get private party then go that route. I sold my S private party because Tesla low balled me lol.

Well, I know that if I buy inventory EOQ I save about 2k on the AWD model compared to custom ordering one. That and let's say the extra 2k tax break might not be worth it when I can sell private party for more. I'm thinking roughly 23 - 25k maybe at this point. It's hard to find a 1LE like mine. I'm currently at 40k miles.

I believe it haha. Tesla didn't recognize my car as being a 1LE, 2SS, and RS.

I don't know if Tesla will match it, but I found Carvana awesome to work with. They offered a price, came and picked up the car from my house and handed me a check for the exact amount they quoted. No hassles at all. Of course in California we don't get any tax benefit for trading in a car, so that is a factor if your state charges less tax when you do a trade in.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how close these guys pay compared to selling private party.

I have a 2016 Chevy SS sedan with a manual. You don't say what your usage case is for the Camaro. If its a daily the Tesla might be worth it. If you use the Camaro as a second car that you hoon around town, or in the canyons, keep it. Tesla's are fast and handle well but they are not as fun as a V8 and manual. Its just not the same and the feeling lost in the experience is made up for in a few tenths around a track.

As a daily the Tesla fairs better. You'll miss the sound but its pretty damn practical and it a blast to drive on the freeway. Plus you can say bye to the 17 mpg gas bills.

You need a test drive as its an experience thing. Good luck with the choice.

I use my Camaro as a DD. In the 5 years i've had it, there have only been a couple of times where I wish I had a more practical vehicle. As the car gets older and I struggle to keep up with the maintenance it just makes sense to get a Tesla.

That's what i'm afraid of haha. I enjoy it now but not as much as I did 5 years ago. Frankly I thought my LS1 T/A WS6 sounded better. I wont miss the power; the Tesla is stronger! But I think i'll miss the gearbox, looks and V8 sound.

Won't miss the gas bills ;) and I did test drive the white AWD. I really want it in blue.

I don't know your situation, but that's not the important part.
I have peers that earned parallel to myself, whom still have car payments!

at some point you have to control the want v. need to get in front of owning
not financing a depreciating asset, your condo likely is increasing in value,
it makes sense (prior to recent federal SALT tax overhaul) to finance an
appreciating asset.

it's like losing weight, move more/eat less or earn more/spend less.
I would highly recommend paying off the camaro and at some point
saving enough to buy the next vehicle, then you are paying yourself.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket superchargers, especially when there's
a factory version of the same integrated with active handling, launch
control etc etc. now let's talk about how much HP/TQ one can put
down on the street v how much more a supercharger delivers?
I going to guess his C7 LT1 can activate active handling in most
any gear?

I agree, having an appreciating asset in my condo is great. I'm getting ready to sell it in the near future though and possibly move into a house. During this move i'm going to probably need a more practical car; hey, it helps me justify the need for a M3 lol.

Your logic makes sense. In my mind, while I will pay off my Camaro in the next year and a half, I think getting a Tesla will help in that the registration / maintenance stuff will save me a ton of money. My car is great but i'm sort of worried about the next thing breaking.

As for my dads supercharged Z51, he got it for free. A business partner, who owns a ton of custom car shops, said he'd supercharge my dads vette for free if they moved forward with a deal. Of course that happened lol.

Just mentioning that with the upcoming 5% update to the AWD nonP, it will be even quicker from both a dig and roll than your 1LE. And I'd wager if Ludicrous mode ever comes around (Elon did say it would a few years ago), it always leaves the option open for further performance, possibly paid for at your convenience. I know you're looking at the LR RWD but perhaps a used AWD wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you?

I think I could push for a AWD. Tesla's estimates are based on a 3.7 APR; with my credit union i'm currently paying 2.7 APR. Not to mention, I may get more for my Camaro then I previously thought. It's hard to get an estimate because my car is hard to find on the market.

When is this 5% update coming? That's awesome :D

I'd recommend waiting till the end of Q2 now. Get a P3D from inventory or demo and reap the savings. It truly is a a monster and Tesla does discount inventory much more than ordering online. Someone got a P3D for 50k on this forum and gets all the tax incentives and rebates. End of quarter push Q2 will be better compared to this quarter as it's right before another phase out of the tax credit.

A P3D for 50k?? Is that even possible? haha Tesla wanted to sell me the gray AWD for 48. I found out that custom ordering a AWD comes out to 2k more. It makes sense for me to sell my car Private Party, recover more money and then custom order the color I want. Maybe I could wait til end of Q2 and see if they have a P3D for me.?

Financially my vote is to keep what you have and pay it off. I said I was going to sell my 370z because the Tesla was faster, quieter, etc. All that happened is now I have a car payment for both because I couldn't part with the sounds and experience the Model 3 just doesn't deliver. Dont get me wrong it's a great daily, but it doesn't give me the performance car tickles that your car brings to the table.

Ignore the"Tesla savings" is smoke and mirrors it doesn't bring your monthly payment down

If you're really interested go drive the models you're interested in LR RWD, AWD and a performance version and I think you'll look for a used Performance. I've already seen a few for sale. The instant torque is kinda tricky for someone who has a high hp car...it tricks you into feeling faster than it really is at rolling speeds. Off the line its no contest

And let's not forget the comparison below. If you think the bottom looks better than the top you need your head examinened lolView attachment 389690

Yeah I figured the "Tesla savings" was just there to make a sell look good. I think you and I differ in that you kept the 370z, but my DD is my Camaro 1LE.. which was made for the track. Consequentially i'm paying more than I should to keep it up and running. Paying it off makes sense, but cutting on maintenance costs does too. I think I really need to dig in to my finances and see if this even makes sense in the long term.

Where can I find used Model 3's? There's none in my area and Tesla's website doesn't have an option for it.

I'm well aware of the looks of the 1LE compared to the blue Model 3 ;)

fwiw tires on a P3D are expensive. In a pinch I paid $450 for one tire, mounted. Brakes are going to last a lot longer than in an ice car though.

450 for one tire??? I paid 1500 at Costco for all 4, and my tires are 295's (or maybe 305?). I bought the Michelin PSS.

I had your exact same car, year, color (white was the best), 2SS, etc. It had the RS package and Recaro seats as well. It was a really fun car but I replaced it with a Model S 85 two years after buying it. I needed more room for hauling music gear to gigs. Not to mention people occasionally. I play pedal steel guitar and I couldn't fit it into the Camaro trunk; had to put it in the front passenger side with one end resting on the floor and the other against the back rest. Bottom-line, it just wasn't practical.

I have Model 3 RW now and really like it, but I still miss the 1LE. I probably think about it once or twice a week. You mentioned the idea of ZL1 as a weekend car along with the 3 and I have thought about that as well.

Conversely, I don't miss the Model S at all. For me, the 3 is a better car (comparing it to the 2015 version of the S). It has better visibility than the S which means it'll feel like a glass house coming from the Camaro.

Nice! I agree, white looks amazing. Your situation makes sense, and i'm glad you're enjoying your Model S. I'm afraid I might miss the 1LE too. I mean in the long term i'll go for a ZL1, assuming I can financially do so.. and my lady lets me. Though she keeps reminding me she wants a ring on her finger :p

Appreciate your input!