Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone ! Just joined. I test drive a 3 yesterday and fell in love šŸ˜ What a fun car ! Haha never would I ever think Iā€™d want one, but now I want one!

As much as Iā€™d like to get a new one or a newly used one, prices are kinda high for me so Iā€™m looking at a few older ones.

My question is about repairs after warranty expires. Have yā€™all had a lot of issues with the car that needs repair ?

Iā€™m looking at a 2018 long range with 15k miles, $40k. Itā€™s out of warranty due to the year, and Tesla wonā€™t extend it I know that. Itā€™s from a non-Tesla dealer too. So Iā€™m sure they have their own 3rd party warranties. Any one have experience with those ?

Basically Iā€™m asking if itā€™s worth getting a 3 with no warranty or if itā€™s going to cost me a knee cap and a liver to fix it when something goes wrong?

Super excited to be a part of this EV community soon though !! Deciding if I do it before Xmas or wait till the new year.

Cheers !

Feddy

That car will still have a battery+motor warranty, just nothing on the rest of the car. Personally my 2018 has not required any service yet* (~30k miles), but that is absolutely not everyone's experience. Still though, 40k seems a little steep considering my all-in cost was ~$45k in 2018 (including rebates). Seems to still be in the range of normal market prices right now though, especially for that low a mileage. Prices do seem to be coming down now though, so if you can wait 6 months it might pay off.

*I did need a new windshield, but that was not Tesla's fault but the fault of some random semi on the highway kicking up a rock. Safelite was able to do all the work thankfully.

Reactions: FeddyWap
Upvote 0
If you want 3rd party Tesla-specific extended warranty, check out this company (you can get a quote on the website by entering a few details) EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com
My Model 3 LR RWD was made in March 2018 and I've driven it 97,500 miles so far. I am still on the original 12v battery, but that battery will eventually need replacing just like in any other car. The good news is that it costs $85 from Tesla, or you can buy a replacement that works from any auto parts store (but for a lot more money). Another item that may need addressing on the earlier cars after a while (commonly 30-50k miles) is the front upper control arm ball joint. It tends to get water into the joint and washes away the grease, causing it to make a very loud and annoying sound when driving over bumps. Luckily, you can keep driving it, but would need to replace the upper control arms eventually. If you are handy with tools, it's easy to replace them and the replacements cost around $120 from Tesla. The expensive stuff to fix would be anything related to battery or drive unit, but that car still has warranty on those (8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first).

Upvote 0
That car will still have a battery+motor warranty, just nothing on the rest of the car. Personally my 2018 has not required any service yet* (~30k miles), but that is absolutely not everyone's experience. Still though, 40k seems a little steep considering my all-in cost was ~$45k in 2018 (including rebates). Seems to still be in the range of normal market prices right now though, especially for that low a mileage. Prices do seem to be coming down now though, so if you can wait 6 months it might pay off.

*I did need a new windshield, but that was not Tesla's fault but the fault of some random semi on the highway kicking up a rock. Safelite was able to do all the work thankfully.
Yeah seems that all the prices are in the same range. Which I guess is good? Means theyā€™re holding their value pretty well.

I know the battery /motor has the warranty, just worried about god knows what with the whole car being electric. The touch screen and sensors and cameras ā€¦

Upvote 0
If you want 3rd party Tesla-specific extended warranty, check out this company (you can get a quote on the website by entering a few details) EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com
My Model 3 LR RWD was made in March 2018 and I've driven it 97,500 miles so far. I am still on the original 12v battery, but that battery will eventually need replacing just like in any other car. The good news is that it costs $85 from Tesla, or you can buy a replacement that works from any auto parts store (but for a lot more money). Another item that may need addressing on the earlier cars after a while (commonly 30-50k miles) is the front upper control arm ball joint. It tends to get water into the joint and washes away the grease, causing it to make a very loud and annoying sound when driving over bumps. Luckily, you can keep driving it, but would need to replace the upper control arms eventually. If you are handy with tools, it's easy to replace them and the replacements cost around $120 from Tesla. The expensive stuff to fix would be anything related to battery or drive unit, but that car still has warranty on those (8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first).
Iā€™m sorry, this may be a noob questionā€¦ but what battery is the 12v battery ? Is that the same one a regular car takes ? Assuming. It since thereā€™s no engine to power ā€¦ but thatā€™s what I assume ..

Upvote 0
Iā€™m sorry, this may be a noob questionā€¦ but what battery is the 12v battery ? Is that the same one a regular car takes ? Assuming. It since thereā€™s no engine to power ā€¦ but thatā€™s what I assume ..

The 12v battery in a tesla powers most of the same things it does in a regular internal combustion engine vehicle. Its not exactly the same size as most ICE car batteries (its smaller for one), but it serves the same purpose.

Reactions: FeddyWap
Upvote 0
The 12V lead-acid battery is group 51R size, which should be available at many of the usual places to buy 12V automotive batteries.

However, the Hankook / AtlasBX battery that is OEM on the Model 3 does have a vent hose connection that may not be present in some other batteries. Previously reported pricing suggests that buying it through Tesla Service Centers may also be the least expensive option, but you may want to check pricing yourself in case of changes.

Upvote 0
A couple of additional points....

First, if you go for a third-party warranty, be sure to check if there are restrictions on who can service the car. The average auto repair shop is not (yet) competent to handle any of the EV-centric stuff (battery, motors, etc.), although they could probably handle things like tires, brakes, etc. You'd need to take the car to Tesla, or possibly one of the few third-party EV-competent mechanics out there, to handle any of the higher-tech items. (I hear that some Chevy dealerships are now offering service on Teslas, but I don't know how common this is or how competent they'd be at more Tesla-specific service.)

Second, if the car is being sold as including Autopilot, Advanced Autopilot, or FSD, be wary. Those packages can all be stripped from the car if it's passed through Tesla's hands -- for instance, if the original owner traded it to Tesla for another Tesla and then Tesla sold the car at auction. Sometimes there's a lag period between when the car is sold and when these features are removed from the software. Buyers sometimes think a car has an advanced feature and then discover that it disappears a week or two after they take delivery because of this. If the car was sold by the previous owner directly to the used-car dealership, or if it arrived there through some other means (say, if the owner traded it in on a new Ford and the Ford dealership sold it at auction), then whatever automation features are present now should remain after you buy it. It can be tricky to track this, though. Note that the most basic Autopilot is now standard, but it wasn't in 2018.

FWIW, my own Tesla is a 2019 model, bought in March of that year, so its bumper-to-bumper warranty will be expiring soon, although as others have said, the battery warranty will remain. I have no plans to replace it because of the warranty expiration.

Upvote 0

First, if you go for a third-party warranty, be sure to check if there are restrictions on who can service the car. The average auto repair shop is not (yet) competent to handle any of the EV-centric stuff (battery, motors, etc.), although they could probably handle things like tires, brakes, etc. You'd need to take the car to Tesla, or possibly one of the few third-party EV-competent mechanics out there, to handle any of the higher-tech items. (I hear that some Chevy dealerships are now offering service on Teslas, but I don't know how common this is or how competent they'd be at more Tesla-specific service.)

Second, if the car is being sold as including Autopilot, Advanced Autopilot, or FSD, be wary. Those packages can all be stripped from the car if it's passed through Tesla's hands -- for instance, if the original owner traded it to Tesla for another Tesla and then Tesla sold the car at auction. Sometimes there's a lag period between when the car is sold and when these features are removed from the software. Buyers sometimes think a car has an advanced feature and then discover that it disappears a week or two after they take delivery because of this. If the car was sold by the previous owner directly to the used-car dealership, or if it arrived there through some other means (say, if the owner traded it in on a new Ford and the Ford dealership sold it at auction), then whatever automation features are present now should remain after you buy it. It can be tricky to track this, though. Note that the most basic Autopilot is now standard, but it wasn't in 2018.

FWIW, my own Tesla is a 2019 model, bought in March of that year, so its bumper-to-bumper warranty will be expiring soon, although as others have said, the battery warranty will remain. I have no plans to replace it because of the warranty expiration.
This is solid advice, Nicely done @srs5694

Upvote 0

Yeah I read something about the autopilot not transferring. How can I find that out for sure ? Call Tesla with the vin ? Ask the dealer how they got the car ?

And thank you, seems like so far these cars donā€™t break down too much and keeping it after the warranty expires isnā€™t such a bad idea

Upvote 0
Mine is a Dec build 2018 M3 Dual motor. I have 57,000 miles and no issues at all. It's been great. I bought it used with 21,000 from Tesla and you get the extended warranty for year/60,000 miles which expires for me in march or 60,000 miles. Not worried at all.

One suggestion I have, is buy it from Tesla used. They often will include FSD or enhanced, also they always include 1 year warranty past usual warranty or 1 year from purchase. To me it's a no brainer. watch for end of quarters or Times when they push to move cars, prices will come down some. be patient you will find deals, check daily, multiple times a day on prices. also if you see one with a price you like if you wait too long it could be gone anytime if someone else chooses it. I do think there is more cars out there now for sale so prices should come down some. How ever you do it, happy shopping.

Upvote 0
Yeah I read something about the autopilot not transferring. How can I find that out for sure ? Call Tesla with the vin ? Ask the dealer how they got the car ?

And thank you, seems like so far these cars donā€™t break down too much and keeping it after the warranty expires isnā€™t such a bad idea

A 2018 that you are looking at would not have come standard with any form of autopilot at all. On a dealers lot, you should assume that any software you see on it related to autopilot, FSD etc, may not stay.

A 2019 that is manufactured after about may / june of 2019 will have "autopilot" standard which is traffic aware cruise control, and for most people who are not enthusiasts probably fine for their needs as far as cruise control goes.

If I were you, I would be looking at a 2019 made > june, or, even newer since pricing has softened some. Not because of lack of warranty concerns (my own 2018 model 3 just went outside of the standard warranty) but for ensuring you get at least autopilot, unless you dont care about those features at all.

Upvote 0
Mine is a Dec build 2018 M3 Dual motor. I have 57,000 miles and no issues at all. It's been great. I bought it used with 21,000 from Tesla and you get the extended warranty for year/60,000 miles which expires for me in march or 60,000 miles. Not worried at all.

One suggestion I have, is buy it from Tesla used. They often will include FSD or enhanced, also they always include 1 year warranty past usual warranty or 1 year from purchase. To me it's a no brainer. watch for end of quarters or Times when they push to move cars, prices will come down some. be patient you will find deals, check daily, multiple times a day on prices. also if you see one with a price you like if you wait too long it could be gone anytime if someone else chooses it. I do think there is more cars out there now for sale so prices should come down some. How ever you do it, happy shopping.
I actually found one I love in blue thatā€™s used. But itā€™s $10k more I think itā€™s a 2020 with the same amount of miles. Maybe 20k? Thatā€™s kind of what Iā€™m debating, how big of a deal the warranty is. And whether it makes sense to spend an extra $10k for a 2 year newer car

Upvote 0
A 2018 that you are looking at would not have come standard with any form of autopilot at all. On a dealers lot, you should assume that any software you see on it related to autopilot, FSD etc, may not stay.

A 2019 that is manufactured after about may / june of 2019 will have "autopilot" standard which is traffic aware cruise control, and for most people who are not enthusiasts probably fine for their needs as far as cruise control goes.

If I were you, I would be looking at a 2019 made > june, or, even newer since pricing has softened some. Not because of lack of warranty concerns (my own 2018 model 3 just went outside of the standard warranty) but for ensuring you get at least autopilot, unless you dont care about those features at all.
Iā€™m going to go see it today, the picture shows that it has fsd installed. So Iā€™d assume whoever bought it added the upgrade. Just gotta figure out how to make sure that it stays with the car after i get it.

I have been looking at 2019s too. A few I like donā€™t has fsd but a few people have told me itā€™s overrated. But I thought it was cool when I did my first test drive šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Upvote 0
One suggestion I have, is buy it from Tesla used. They often will include FSD or enhanced, also they always include 1 year warranty past usual warranty or 1 year from purchase. To me it's a no brainer. watch for end of quarters or Times when they push to move cars, prices will come down some.
Good advice, I agree with you. I almost feel bad (ok, actually not really) for the Chevrolet dealer that purchased my 2020 M3SR+ from me. They gave me US$39k about 6 weeks ago, originally listed for around 42,450. After a series of reductions itā€™s still sitting there at $38,249 (a top line loss, theyā€™ll probably pad the bottom line somehow, unless they finally give up and dump to auction.)

This is compared to the 2019s I currently see from Tesla around Colma, CA for ~ $30,000.

Bad time to be a legacy brand ICE dealer with an EV on the used lot that is over the coming used EV tax credit price maximum ($25k).

Attachments

• A3B268D9-EA17-4724-8791-1CB6D50BADB7.jpeg
    A3B268D9-EA17-4724-8791-1CB6D50BADB7.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
The 2018 will come with a 'dumb' cruise control if it does not come with autopilot, but not both. Dumb works for me, but I am a weirdo in the Tesla community and actually like driving my car :p Also has the advantage of no 'phantom braking'.
Is the dumb autopilot you refer to, simply the currently offered TACC? Iā€™ve had occasional PB on AP, but never on TACC that I can recall.

Upvote 0
Good advice, I agree with you. I almost feel bad (ok, actually not really) for the Chevrolet dealer that purchased my 2020 M3SR+ from me. They gave me US$39k about 6 weeks ago, originally listed for around 42,450. After a series of reductions itā€™s still sitting there at $38,249 (a top line loss, theyā€™ll probably pad the bottom line somehow, unless they finally give up and dump to auction.)

This is compared to the 2019s I currently see from Tesla around Colma, CA for ~ $30,000.

Bad time to be a legacy brand ICE dealer with an EV on the used lot that is over the coming used EV tax credit price maximum ($25k).
Well this brings up my other debate of if I need a LR or if a standard will do. Iā€™m also thinking about resale value.

Upvote 0
$40K for a 2018 nowadays is kind of high. Assuming that is $40K plus taxes or are you talking about $40K out the door?

New 2023 VIN is $46K and if you get it delivered in the next 2 weeks (Depending on inventory) you get $3750 off right out of the gate. Have you tried checking Tesla's direct used car? Right out of the gate, I see 3x 2019 Model 3 for $31K near me in California.

Upvote 0