Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of buying a used 60D/75D from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - been lurking for a while and can't find the answer so noob question. Sorry!

I'm thinking about buying used from Tesla and I'm kind of pitching in the facelifted 75D with 4y/50k warranty area. I've got as far as getting images of the cars they're offering and each one has been badged as a 60D (as well as showing that on the dash). So I understand the whole 60D-75D-Uncorking thing and the Tesla guy confirmed the car would be a "fully fledged 75D" but my question to you guys is will the car's 4 year life as a 60D affect its range - is there battery memory or will freeing the extra kWh work as it should? Or is the fact the battery hasn't been filled to the max the whole time even a positive?

TIA

Chris

Please forgive my bluntness. But you don't understand :whole 60D-75D-Uncorking thing". Uncorking is the term used to explain when they adjust the car's configuration and it increases the car's performance (reducing its 0-60 or in your case 0-100kmh time). Uncorking does not apply to releasing more of the limited battery - from 60 to 75. Two different things on the same car.

Your question, will the car's 4 year life as a 60 affect its range? Yes, affects its range. But not in a bad way. Its prevented anyone from charging to 100% of its full capacity because a 60 limited battery, Being used as a 60 has not hurt it, more likely its protected it. Question: Or is the fact the battery hasn't been filled to the max the whole time even a positive? Yes some what of a positive, but once its been uncapped, it needs to let it re-calibrate itself to relearn the max/min of its capacity. Needs to be run down to 20-25%, then charged to 90% of its 75 capacity. As a matter of fact, this is a good thing to do about every six months, - assuming its not part of the owner's regular driving practices.

You should be asking why its labeled as a 60-75 or 60. Its a simple Tesla fix to change it to a 75. It should already be a 75 and advertised as a 75. You should ask why it is not. If I were buying it, I would not sign the final paperwork until the dash show 75D. Else you could find yourself paying for the 60>75 uncapping in the fine print. I don't care what the sales rep says to explain its going to happen later.

You hinted this car is 4 years old? We know its a MCU1 car. Is it a AP1 or AP2 car? Today, I would not buy an AP1 car when there's plenty of used AP2 cars out there. Being an AP2 car gives you a better upgrade path to MCU2 and maximizing the potential of the car. I recommend MCU2.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I meant 60D-75D-uncorking as a two step process - apologies I wasn't clear - and my question was about stage 1. Although stage 2 sounds like fun!

Today Tesla has stripped all used MS from their website so I'll need to check on the MCU question once they put them back.

@ChrisW72 From what I've seen of owner reports the software limited 60Ds are behaving just like 75D packs when it comes to degredation.

So expect about 5% at 50k and than sub 10% (usually 7-8%) are 100k+.

Getting an AP2 car is worthwhile (UK deliveries started about Dec 2016), as the upgrade path to things like FSD/MCU2 is clear.

One thing to note is Tesla have taken AWAY the option to unlock a 60D into a 75D, at least for owners anyways. So if you buy a 60D at present itll always remain a 60D, not that you get that much more range anyways if you unlocked it. However if you are buying direct from Tesla they can obviously still turn a software locked 60D into a 75D.

Last edited:
@gangzoom, you might be right. But it might be that its just difficult, and not obvious. Tesla also had stopped advertising or listing the unlocking of the 60 battery from 40. And when it was shown as available it was priced at $11,000. That was pretty steep. This was a couple of years ago now, but a friend of mine stopped by our SC and asked about it. It was available, just not advertised anyway. He bought the unlock. It cost him $2,000. So, just because its not commonly known, does not necessarily mean its not available. Not all 60's are software locked 75, so this only applies to some. I'd recommend anyone with a locked 75 go buy their SC and ask if you want to purchase the unlock. It might still be available.

Tesla have dropped just about all the inventory since they fiddled with the prices, but they will probably be back once they've forced a few buyers into new M3s, its the games they play. Either that or a whole load of cars have just gone off to auction and will appear at a garage near you soon. You can sign up to one of the inventory sites who will email you when stock appears, the two credible ones doing used inventory are tesla-info run I think from the UK and ev cpo which is run from the states. Pros and cons of each but ultimately they list pretty much the same cars at Tesla.

Tesla tend to unlock 60s to 75s as part of their sales process - they can sell them for more. Either way, if Tesla are selling it go with the spec they say, if its a private sale, then go with what it says on the dash and not on the back of the car. Unlocking to 75 and they'll uncork anyway so its all a bit of a moot conversation if you're looking to buy from Tesla.

Living as a 60D can only a good thing, as is being corked as it can't have been pushed as hard, but a well cared for 75D thats rarely been supercharged could still be better than a 60D thats lived on supercharging all its life. If you're happy with the numbers when you buy then its unlikely to fall off a cliff a week later, and it still has the remaining battery warranty to cover you if the battery fails.

Thanks for all the info - the two cars I'm following (until they disappeared) are both advertised as 75D on the Tesla site so I'm sure they'd unlock them as otherwise they'd be up for false advertising. They're both AP1 which I can see from above isn't ideal. However I'm not sure FSD is particular a feature I'm interested in, obviously this'll having a bearing when I come to sell on but apart from the that what am I losing out on?

Thanks for all the info - the two cars I'm following (until they disappeared) are both advertised as 75D on the Tesla site so I'm sure they'd unlock them as otherwise they'd be up for false advertising. They're both AP1 which I can see from above isn't ideal. However I'm not sure FSD is particular a feature I'm interested in, obviously this'll having a bearing when I come to sell on but apart from the that what am I losing out on?

Nothing wrong with AP1 and I'd say its better than the first versions of the Tesla system unless the hardware has been upgraded (which requires it to have FSD) or the later version (which has reduced featrues unless you buy FSD). And some of the features require MCU2 which is also on much later cars or requires a £2500 upgrade. AP1 on the other hand just does what its meant to do and does it well.