Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of getting a small water softener to decrease spotting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn between installing a deionizer at the spigot in my garage or purchasing an 8 HP car dryer...both cost about the same (around $400) but have their own pros and cons.

If I use the DI water system, I would just rinse with DI water after the wash and let it dry, which would eliminate the hand drying step, but I'd have to worry about replacement filters frequently.

If I use the car dryer, I wouldn't have to worry about replacing filters often but I would still need to spend the time to go around the car to dry it.

I wash my cars at LEAST once per week, if not more often, so adding either one of the above would be very worth it for me, not to mention it wouldn't be as damaging to my car's clear coat as drying with a towel is.

I'm using CR spotless. Just connect it to my yard then to the power washer. Does a pretty good job especially with my second MS which is ceramic coated too. There will still be some water spots mainly on the roof and some areas of the trunk and hood which you need to towel dry.

Just ordered a leaf blower as well. Going to try that out and see if I can do away with hand drying completely.

I just use ONR and distilled water. $2 for 2.5 gallons and I get probably 6 washes out of it? End up picking up some every month or so when grocery shopping.

If the cars filthy I get all the grime off with hose and normal washing them come back with the distilled ONR soaked micros.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I just use ONR and distilled water. $2 for 2.5 gallons and I get probably 6 washes out of it? End up picking up some every month or so when grocery shopping.

If the cars filthy I get all the grime off with hose and normal washing them come back with the distilled ONR soaked micros.

Interesting approach - waaaaaay cheaper than ~$22/wash using a resin canister system... Don't like the soaked rags much an would prefer a way to spray the distilled water on the car for the rinse cycle. Will need to come up with something for that. Thanks for the tip.

Interesting approach - waaaaaay cheaper than ~$22/wash using a resin canister system... Don't like the soaked rags much an would prefer a way to spray the distilled water on the car for the rinse cycle. Will need to come up with something for that. Thanks for the tip.

I have 8 edgeless micros sitting in ONR in a sealed 5 gallon bucket all the time. When I go through them, I just wash them and throw them back in the bucket / add more distilled and ONR if needed.

Prior to actually wiping the car down with the micros I do soak the car in ONR using a garden sprayer.
HDX 2 Gal. Pump Sprayer-1502HDXA - The Home Depot

I'm guessing between the sprayer and the water on the rags I'm still using less than 3/4 gallon of distilled water. I've even stopped pulling the car out of the garage to do it, unless I have to spray off mud. I'm probably spending .70c or so per wash.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc