Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling/trading in my 2018 MS 75D (NOVA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just thinking out loud..

I love the car, but I am planning on transferring to Korea for work and been trying to look into taking the car with me. With the warranties voided and seeing all these issues come up, I am scared that it would be a lot more than I expected to pay for certain repairs out of warranty (ie. MCU chip getting worn that has been talked about lately). Also, I am thinking my insurance rate would be through the roof since I had a BMW 3 series that was insured in Seoul for about $120/month, but when I moved to DC it was $120 for 6 months..

With that said, I have a 2018 MS 75D. Made in July 2018 so it has MCU2 w/ EAP and FSD enabled w/ about 6,000 miles currently. What would I reasonably be able to get on a private sale? $70K? Even less?

Also if I were to trade-in my car for a cheaper ICE car, would the difference between the purchase price and trade-in value be given back to me as a check?

Attachments

• Pro-Forma MVPA - 268279.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 74
Ask Tesla for a Trade in quote. With the many price drops and included “free” options, you’re going to see a big depreciation hit.

Yes, if you trade it in on a cheaper car, the dealer will cut you a check back. But you’re likely to come out better if you split the transactions in two.

Ask Tesla for a Trade in quote. With the many price drops and included “free” options, you’re going to see a big depreciation hit.

Yes, if you trade it in on a cheaper car, the dealer will cut you a check back. But you’re likely to come out better if you split the transactions in two.

Tesla would take a trade-in without me purchasing a car from them?

How about Turo? Let them rent it while you're gone.

When you get back you can decide what to do. keep it at turo? trade it? Robo Taxi on Tesla Network ??.

I would still have to manage it from Korea if I put it on Turo and there's no place for me to store it while I am away. I wish the Robo Taxi network was already working and I can send it to go work lol

Funny, we pretty much have the same car, and I've been looking into selling as well. Mine is July 2018 build, only differences are color (mine is midnight silver), and I replaced the stock wheels with 20" turbines. I'm not sure if the wheel upgrade helps or hurts my resale value. I got an offer for $60K from vroom. Carvana did not get back to me. I'm thinking if I list it for private party sale I'd start at $70K.

Funny, we pretty much have the same car, and I've been looking into selling as well. Mine is July 2018 build, only differences are color (mine is midnight silver), and I replaced the stock wheels with 20" turbines. I'm not sure if the wheel upgrade helps or hurts my resale value. I got an offer for $60K from vroom. Carvana did not get back to me. I'm thinking if I list it for private party sale I'd start at $70K.
I tried twice to get a quote from carvana, was finally able to get an estimate the second time. They quoted a little lower than your vroom quote..I think $30K~ in depreciation in 8 months is a little ridiculous lol..I may just take a chance and keep it if I lose that much. The loss in depreciation is almost the same as a couple of no warranty fixes outside the battery completely dying for my case..

I tried twice to get a quote from carvana, was finally able to get an estimate the second time. They quoted a little lower than your vroom quote..I think $30K~ in depreciation in 8 months is a little ridiculous lol..I may just take a chance and keep it if I lose that much. The loss in depreciation is almost the same as a couple of no warranty fixes outside the battery completely dying for my case..

I prefer to round in the other direction :) I've had my car for 10 months, so close enough to a year to say 1 year. And at $60K I consider the depreciation to be $15K if I include the tax credit that I got. If I can sell at $70K that would be $5K depreciation.