Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

THIS EV CHARGING SOLUTION USES A NETWORK OF CHARGING DRONES TO CHARGE YOUR CAR ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

THAT ARTICLE IS EITHER 104 DAYS LATE OR 261 DAYS EARLY.

I have several thoughts.

1)does the car charge the drone?
2)wont solar panels get you more charge?
3)Seems extremely ineffecient.
4)I feel like the people who came up with this hypothetical product have never driven an EV
5)If your just gonna defy physics why not laser beams, then you don’t have to scratch up my car with your drone.
6)Patent trolls...
7)range loss of having that sack of batteries latched on to your car.

Reactions: dyau and brkaus
I have several thoughts.

1)does the car charge the drone?
2)wont solar panels get you more charge?
3)Seems extremely ineffecient.
4)I feel like the people who came up with this hypothetical product have never driven an EV
5)If your just gonna defy physics why not laser beams, then you don’t have to scratch up my car with your drone.
6)Patent trolls...
7)range loss of having that sack of batteries latched on to your car.

I agree, it does seem very impractical for this to actually work.

The main concern I'd have with these drone chargers is that the best drones, to my knowledge, only have a flight time of 30 minutes. So if they were to theoretically charge a car, they'd have to first fly out to it, locate the battery, charge the car a minuscule amount, take off, and then have enough charge to fly back. A solution it seems like they proposed is that there would be many drones charging the EV from back to back, but that's extremely cost-ineffective, as you need many $1000+ drones to charge a SINGLE car so minimally, and although this would be an interesting research project to propose trying on one car, it would never be able to expand out to the real world.

Also, since the flight time of most drones now is 30 minutes, they would have to set up landing/takeoff charging stations for drones nearly everywhere in order to be able to charge even one car at any given place. I think even the time and effort it requires to construct and maintain said stations everywhere, for minimal results, makes this an idea that doesn't seem very worthwhile to me. Tesla superchargers have been even more commonplace, with more being installed daily, and I think they're a more worthwhile investment. They'd conserve much more energy having you drive to them than any drones would.

Reactions: abasile
I agree, it does seem very impractical for this to actually work.
Yep, this merits "dumbest EV idea of the year" award.

Tesla superchargers have been even more commonplace, with more being installed daily, and I think they're a more worthwhile investment.
This is an understatement if I ever saw one! Superchargers are awesome.