Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charging speed does your car taper to over 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that all EVs taper near the top, but suddenly my MYP seems to be more than usual suddenly. Hooked up to my TWC set to max:

Up to 93%: Charges full speed 11.5kW
93%: Drops to 5kW
95%: 4kW
96%: 3kw
97%: 2kW
99%: 1kW (and I haven't ever gotten to 100% where it stopped in several months)

While supercharging, I'm used to the 80-100% taking as long as charging the bottom 80% and it seems to do that normally (although I haven't SCed up to 100% in almost a year), but at these home speeds, 95-100% takes several hours. That is new. Is this the case with anyone else? Is this normal? Do I need to just let it max charge to recalibrate the batteries or whatever?

My M3LR tends to drop to about 7kW at 90%, tapering to 3 kW at 99%.

I have only one good full charger recorded on my MY, and it pulled the full 10 kW up to 99%, then tapered down to about 2 kW as it reached 1000%.

If you suspect a BMS issue, then you should drive to a low SoC and then charge back up. Or, perhaps better yet, perform a battery health test from the service mode.

It's also possible that the wall connector is reducing max output current due to overheating. Although it would seem unlikely in winter, I have issues with this if I charge on a summer afternoon with the sun shining on the charger connector. But,, it's worth checking the Tesla app to see if the max charging amps has fallen back.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I know that all EVs taper near the top, but suddenly my MYP seems to be more than usual suddenly. Hooked up to my TWC set to max:

Up to 93%: Charges full speed 11.5kW
93%: Drops to 5kW
95%: 4kW
96%: 3kw
97%: 2kW
99%: 1kW (and I haven't ever gotten to 100% where it stopped in several months)

While supercharging, I'm used to the 80-100% taking as long as charging the bottom 80% and it seems to do that normally (although I haven't SCed up to 100% in almost a year), but at these home speeds, 95-100% takes several hours. That is new. Is this the case with anyone else? Is this normal? Do I need to just let it max charge to recalibrate the batteries or whatever?
On my old model s 85d battery I've setup a bed in the back of the car, fell asleep at a supercharger and it took 3 ½ hours to get to 100%