TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

This Infographic Reveals How Tesla Model S Beats Range Anxiety

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by EVie'sDad, Jun 2, 2017.

1. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I didn't know there were so many different electric cars for sale. We only have a few of those available here in the US.

3. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

If by "few" you mean 14, then I agree :p

4. sdorn

#4 sdorn, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    I should have clarified as readily available for purchase, as several cars on the list like the Bolt and the Volkswagen e-Golf are here in the US but the average person can't actually buy them in most parts of the country. The only electric vehicles readily available for purchase in the Atlanta area as far as I am aware are Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3, Smart for two, Fiat 500e and the Ford Focus. The Mercedes B-Class may theoretically be available as well if you special ordered one. I didn't look that far into it.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

those 14 are NOT available in all 50 states or even in the continental 48 states, 57 if you are a certain former president.;)

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

range anxiety is an affliction of the newbie, we all go through it and most of us learn how to cope with the range limitations we live with.
    through proper planning, and altering at times your driving style range anxiety should rarely be an issue for cars with any size batteries

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. sdorn

I don't think range anxiety has anything to do with the size of the battery. It mainly has to do with the availability and speed of chargers. I had a Leaf before I bought my Tesla, and I never worried about range in it either because I knew how far it would go. There were certain trips I couldn't use it for (like anything outside of Atlanta), but I didn't have anxiety over it. I probably have more stress about the Tesla because you actually can take it on longer trips, but you have the risk of some unforeseen circumstance coming up where the availability and speed of chargers can limit your options.

8. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

Really? 90% of household trips are less than 100 miles? I guess that might be technically true, but I seriously doubt anything close to 10% of trips are greater than 100 miles.
    //dan.

• Like x 1
  9. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

true, I agree with your statement, but because most other vehicles (aside from Tesla) do not have access to rapid charging options, that has a direct inverse affect of increasing an owners range anxiety. I cannot myself contemplate driving cross country in one of those low end models, it would take weeks! But that is why I bought a Tesla, I want to be able to travel distances comparable to an ICE vehicle and do so in slightly more time given access to Tesla's proprietary SC network.